Fishy289
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Was wondering how much of a difference there is between UCL and Imperial for engineering. Looking at league tables it seems as though Imperial is better but by how much? And would an employer hire one over the other? And is it harder to do well at imperial than UCL?
YouMadBro!
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
tbh, when it becomes that close between universities, employers are hardly likely to be picky of one over the other.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
employers dont care what uni you went to at that level, do you really think theyre going to decline to interview a UCL graduate? don't be silly employers dont even turn down ex-poly students for interviews (except for law). but imperial is gonna have much better industry links than UCL, isnt it?
Appleorpear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imperial is so much better than UCL at Engineering. Imperial is more prestigious and has more industry links to get you a job.

Considering they're literally in the same city and share accommodation under the University of London system, share events etc I'd definitely go for Imperial
Fishy289
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Appleorpear)
Imperial is so much better than UCL at Engineering. Imperial is more prestigious and has more industry links to get you a job.

Considering they're literally in the same city and share accommodation under the University of London system, share events etc I'd definitely go for Imperial
I'd probably agree, but since imperial is so much better surely it's easier to do well at UCL compared to imperial?
Appleorpear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fishy289)
I'd probably agree, but since imperial is so much better surely it's easier to do well at UCL compared to imperial?
That's the classic debate of "is it better to do a degree at a weaker university and get a better grade at the end of it?".

It's hard to say specifically for your degree what the choice is as I'm not aware what it is, but for Chemical and Civil Engineering the rate of 2:1's at Imperial is higher than at UCL. So I don't really believe in this case that you'd be better off going to UCL just to try and get an easier 2:1 or first.

For Engineering Imperial really is an exceptional university, nearly Oxbridge level. It's a great opportunity.
Sanjith Hegde123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Imperial is nearly at the standard for Cambridge's engineering, just it isn't general, like Cambridge's.
That's what I have heard

I'd say stick to imperial
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (8)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
18.33%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (28)
46.67%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (10)
16.67%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5%

Watched Threads