The Student Room Group

what is salt 1 and salt 2?!??

please help, I still don't understand.
basically- they were both treaties to limit the amount of weapons a country was allowed (particularly between the US and USSR) due to the increasing fear of nuclear war- it wouldn't necessarily stop MAD (mutually assured destruction- the weapons being able to kill both sides) but symbolically for the relationships between the countries they were important and marked changes during the period of detente (peace from cold war; low tensions). SALT 1 was easily ignored but it provided limits on older technology such as intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and submarine launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), among others. SALT 2 was very similar, but was never ratified (agreed to) by US congress because of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan breaking detente- the US didn't agree with it, thus providing arms to the opposing side to the USSR in Afghanistan, leading to the olympic boycotts etc... But anyway, that's why SALT 2 never actually happened and SALT 1 was pretty much thrown aside.
These might help:
20180120_201515.jpg
Attachment not found
Lol, came into this thread thinking this was indentifying salt compounds in chemistry
Reply 3
I thought it was about computer science
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Lol, came into this thread thinking this was indentifying salt compounds in chemistry

You weren't the only one haha
Reply 5
Original post by honeyofcourse
basically- they were both treaties to limit the amount of weapons a country was allowed (particularly between the US and USSR) due to the increasing fear of nuclear war- it wouldn't necessarily stop MAD (mutually assured destruction- the weapons being able to kill both sides) but symbolically for the relationships between the countries they were important and marked changes during the period of detente (peace from cold war; low tensions). SALT 1 was easily ignored but it provided limits on older technology such as intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) and submarine launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs), among others. SALT 2 was very similar, but was never ratified (agreed to) by US congress because of the USSR's invasion of Afghanistan breaking detente- the US didn't agree with it, thus providing arms to the opposing side to the USSR in Afghanistan, leading to the olympic boycotts etc... But anyway, that's why SALT 2 never actually happened and SALT 1 was pretty much thrown aside.
These might help:
20180120_201515.jpg
Attachment not found

if i could hug you right now i would! YOUR A LIFESAVER! :h:
Reply 6
Original post by Kyber Ninja

LOL sorry, i should have written HISTORY in the title.:redface:
Original post by miss_ambitious
if i could hug you right now i would! YOUR A LIFESAVER! :h:

:jumphug:
Reply 8
Original post by honeyofcourse
:jumphug:

:jumphug:back at you:biggrin: THANKS AGAIN!

Quick Reply

Latest