First car for teenage driver

Watch
ComputerWhizzKid
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I’m 17 and started learning to drive last month and I’m hoping to take and pass my driving test by the summer.

My budget for my first car is £2500-£3000. What cars would you recommend that are reasonably cheap on insurance and that look nice
xEmilyxx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a Ford Ka. My 2010 one cost just over 3 grand, but there were plenty others which fell into that region, with some lower than 2 and a half thousand. Insurance is just over a grand too with a black box and two other named secondary drivers. But I do know that in general Ford Ka does have cheap insurance if you want to opt for a policy that doesn't have a black box.

The old style don't look relatively nice but the newer models do. It's pastel blue in colour with a floral seat pattern. It's definitely a girly car if I do say so myself.
username3673796
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
VW GOLF
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ComputerWhizzKid)
So I’m 17 and started learning to drive last month and I’m hoping to take and pass my driving test by the summer.

My budget for my first car is £2500-£3000. What cars would you recommend that are reasonably cheap on insurance and that look nice
Nissan Micra
Hyundai i20
verier
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stay away from european cars, most are expensive/unreliable. Go for asian cars, but choose something that will be cheap to service and reliable.
Licence2Drive
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You always run a risk when you're buying a secondhand car. Whatever you get ensure you get an RAC or AA check completed on it to identify any obvious issues. Be aware of warranties, some are great, others are not worth the paper they are written on! Read the small print to see what they cover.

Always take into account the insurance premiums. This will be the largest cost when you start to drive. When getting quotes as a learner also find out the cost as a full licence holder as this will increase considerably!

As for which car, it's really down to personal choice. Ignore the old wives tale that European or French cars are unreliable. They have improved a lot over the years. Look at reviews from actual car owners, that will give you a more realistic understanding of their reliability.

The more common cars, Clios, 206s, Fiestas, C3s, Corsas and the likes are numerous so spare parts (new or re-conditioned) are cheaper. Avoid limited editions as these can be more expensive to insure and parts more difficult to come by.
storm95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kia picanto, Mazda 2, Vauxhall Corsa, Ford Ka, Suzuki alto, Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki swift just to name a few
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (145)
14.38%
I'm not sure (43)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (302)
29.96%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.58%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.81%

Watched Threads