Law - Covering Letter Advice Watch

Commercial
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have two main questions;

1) What constitutes a "great" cover letter, I have never written one before and want it to give off a good impression. Does anyone have any examples of their own cover letters or somewhere where I can find a good sample?

2) With regards to big firms they all ask for you to be "business" minded. I want to go into commercial law but I dont understand what they mean by that. What sort of things should I be reading in order to prepare for any interviews I might get?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://targetjobs.co.uk/sites/targe...-tips-2016.pdf

Commercial awareness/being business minded: having a genuine interest in the business matter of the type of clients you will be working in, then using your analytical skills to work out why these things happen, what the potential impact might be, and seeing potential future issues (look into SWOT and Pestle analysis styles).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Commercial
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by J-SP)
https://targetjobs.co.uk/sites/targe...-tips-2016.pdf

Commercial awareness/being business minded: having a genuine interest in the business matter of the type of clients you will be working in, then using your analytical skills to work out why these things happen, what the potential impact might be, and seeing potential future issues (look into SWOT and Pestle analysis styles).
Thanks! Do you have any good suggestions on things to read or any good sites where I can familiarise myself with the business dealings in the eyes of law firms?

I am business minded, but I want to read more about what that entails and if you know any good sites for such reading, I would be grateful.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Commercial)
Thanks! Do you have any good suggestions on things to read or any good sites where I can familiarise myself with the business dealings in the eyes of law firms?

I am business minded, but I want to read more about what that entails and if you know any good sites for such reading, I would be grateful.
Read their websites
The Lawyer or Legal Week
Any good quality newspapers business pages
Sign up to something like The Student Lawyer, Aspiring Solicitors, or buy one of Christopher Stoakes books (Know the City/All you need to know about the City).

Someone on the legal careers forum is currently a trainee at a US firm and seems to be regularly sending out explainer newsletters - so join their AMA thread and sign up to their mailing list
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Commercial)

The FT is pretty good for commercial insight, too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads