The Student Room Group

Sleeping time for teens

I tried to post this earlier and don't know if it posted, so I'll post it again.

I have noticed that a lot of my peers seem to be going to bed at around 11/12 on school nights, and the early hours of the morning on weekends. But I turn my light out as early as 9:30, and on weekends it's about 11. I get up at 7 so get the recommended 9 hours sleep.
Am I normal to be going to bed so 'early'? How much sleep do teens usually get in years 9/10/11?
U should be happy to be getting this kind of sleep. Trust me if u are a student and u do enough work to make sure ur in bed by 9:30 the u are blessed. Ppl like me would kill to get at least 6-7hrs of sleep. I ENVY U
I am barely tired by 9:30 but if you're getting up at 7 every morning then it's pretty normal to be able to sleep by then. Really, you have a great advantage as you can get so much done in those couple extra morning hours.
Original post by Anonymous
I tried to post this earlier and don't know if it posted, so I'll post it again.

I have noticed that a lot of my peers seem to be going to bed at around 11/12 on school nights, and the early hours of the morning on weekends. But I turn my light out as early as 9:30, and on weekends it's about 11. I get up at 7 so get the recommended 9 hours sleep.
Am I normal to be going to bed so 'early'? How much sleep do teens usually get in years 9/10/11?

I'm in year 9 and turn my lights out at around 9.30 to 10 (though rarely) in the week and at weekends it ranges from 10 to 11.
From personal experience :/ getting the recommended sleep is vital and extreme;y helpful. My friend, who's the same age, goes to sleep at 11 and she can get extremely tired but sometimes it depends on the person as well but keep doing that, it will help
Reply 4
I'm in bed by 9:30 usually and fall asleep by 10:30-11 and wake up at 7:45 am on school nights aha. That's normal tbh. I can't function without at least 9hrs sleep. 😭
Reply 5
Original post by hsalika
U should be happy to be getting this kind of sleep. Trust me if u are a student and u do enough work to make sure ur in bed by 9:30 the u are blessed. Ppl like me would kill to get at least 6-7hrs of sleep. I ENVY U

Haha ok thanks for your honesty, I'll probably value sleep while I can :blush:
Reply 6
Original post by nailahjr
I'm in bed by 9:30 usually and fall asleep by 10:30-11 and wake up at 7:45 am on school nights aha. That's normal tbh. I can't function without at least 9hrs sleep. 😭

Yeah same, 7:45 for school though?! I'd only have 5 minutes :redface:
Reply 7
Yeah same, 7:45 for school though?! I'd only have 5 minutes :redface:

I set off for school at 8:30 it's a 5 min drive, and I get ready by 8:05 at the latest aha. Its too cold to function😭😭😭
Reply 8
Original post by nailahjr
I set off for school at 8:30 it's a 5 min drive, and I get ready by 8:05 at the latest aha. Its too cold to function😭😭😭

Way too cold outside at 8 am:s-smilie:

I'm in year 11 and I honestly don't know how you manage to get to bed by 9:30 - I'm usually up doing work (homework or revision) till 11, sometimes even 11:30 as I always have so much to do in an evening - I don't leave it all up to the last minute, we just get set a lot to do on top of revision, especially at the moment as I'm revising for mocks. I then have to get up at 6:30 every morning so I get around 6-7hrs sleep depending. At the weekend, I will usually go to bed at 11 but again thats dependent on how late I stay up the previous night - never past midnight though. I wake up around 8-9:30 on weekends though. I envy you :smile:
i go to bed 10:30 and wake 7:30, depending if i have a test etc. the latest i could get up is 8:30.
Original post by Lydia.Mx
I'm in year 11 and I honestly don't know how you manage to get to bed by 9:30 - I'm usually up doing work (homework or revision) till 11, sometimes even 11:30 as I always have so much to do in an evening - I don't leave it all up to the last minute, we just get set a lot to do on top of revision, especially at the moment as I'm revising for mocks. I then have to get up at 6:30 every morning so I get around 6-7hrs sleep depending. At the weekend, I will usually go to bed at 11 but again thats dependent on how late I stay up the previous night - never past midnight though. I wake up around 8-9:30 on weekends though. I envy you :smile:

Yeah I'm in the year below so we get homework,revvision etc. but not an overload. It's not that people my age are up doing homework, they're just staying up late watching films/tv, but mainly going on social media
I aim for 6 hours on weekdays, I don't know if that's bad xD I typically go bed around 11-11.30am and wake up at 5.30am.
Yeah I'm in the year below so we get homework,revvision etc. but not an overload. It's not that people my age are up doing homework, they're just staying up late watching films/tv, but mainly going on social media

Ahh lucky you! Yeah, I know - I see people posting on snapchat on weekdays till 3/4 in the morning, I swear I'd be in bed by 9:30 if I didn't get so much work hahaha - I need to catch up on as much sleep as possible haha :smile:
I go to sleep at 11:30 and (should) wake up at 6:30 (most of the time I get up at 7 and then I’m late for school :frown: )
Reply 15
I'm in year 13 at college, I have to be up at 6 to go to college and sometimes I'm not in bed untill 1am :/ . I would kill to get that much sleep but I struggle badly with falling to sleep, it can take me hours and hours, sometimes I don't even sleep ha ha. Embrace the sleep schedule you've got, it's really good, and try to keep to it. X
(edited 6 years ago)
I try to be asleep about midnight to get up at 9 for uni. If I had to be up as early as you, you bet I'd I'd be in bed that early!

Well done your sleep pattern seems to be consistent and healthy, as well as in line for your school times. Don’t look up to people like me who sleep at 12 on school days and 1 on weekends. It affects my performance massively and i can barely function without proper sleep.

Quick Reply