Chances of becoming a professional football player at 16

Watch
skylimit16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I’m 16 and I’ve always had a passion for football but have never really played it, my younger brother plays for a premier league academy and football runs in my family. I’ve recently started playing football and it turns out I’m pretty good, I don’t play for a team and at my age the leagues finish for playing my age. I
Let’s say I trained for 4 hours a day for the next 4 month and perfected my skill what are the chances I could get a trial with an academy my and go pro? I am very confident and rarely give up when I put my mind to it.

Cheers
Chichaldo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by skylimit16)
Hi, I’m 16 and I’ve always had a passion for football but have never really played it, my younger brother plays for a premier league academy and football runs in my family. I’ve recently started playing football and it turns out I’m pretty good, I don’t play for a team and at my age the leagues finish for playing my age. I
Let’s say I trained for 4 hours a day for the next 4 month and perfected my skill what are the chances I could get a trial with an academy my and go pro? I am very confident and rarely give up when I put my mind to it.

Cheers
If you are as committed as you say, then I would train 4hrs a day regardless. Now, I am not saying that this will guarentee any success but if you have some natural talent and work hard then who knows. It is incredibly hard to break into the business and if you compare the amount of doctors, lawyers etc. to the amount of footballers who can rely on football as a steady income, the odds are not the best. However there's nothing stopping you and you could most certaintly work your way up. My advice would be to keep education going and evaluate in 5 years time or so to see if you should still be carrying on or fully dedicate yourself to another career.
Unistudent77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Impossible to say.

Statistically, 0.0000001% however, if it runs in the family then you do have a larger chance. You’d need to get signed up pretty soon to make it i’d think
ParkHyungSuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by skylimit16)

Cheers
Slim. Theo walcott starting at 10 was considered impressive.
skylimit16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Bit of an update as I'm 17 in a few weeks! Well since this post I've got to peak fitness and I train 2 hours a day with a strict diet. Me and my mates started a 5 a-side team and managed to quadruple back to back promotions within a year and win the highest league, therefore being the best 5 a-side team in my town. I'm currently in talks with one of the local youth teams who found me through 5 a-side! Everythings going well and thanks for your advice!

-J
kwabi israel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pls am 16 years and i need some one to help me to achieve my aim to become a profesional player
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by kwabi israel)
pls am 16 years and i need some one to help me to achieve my aim to become a profesional player
You need to be scouted whilst playing in a team, in an academy or do an apprenticeship:

https://nationalcareers.service.gov....les/footballer
kwabi israel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok that fine but how
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ok that fine but how
Are you playing with a club? If so, then speak with them and use the info in the link.
kwabi israel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes can u send me the link
Sbucks
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck bro
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Very little. Have a plan B.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes can u send me the link
It's in post #7, the link to the National Careers Service.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads