KingCamembert
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm stuck between these two courses my sixth form offers. I thought Ancient History initially because I'm quite interested in Greek and Roman history, but the more modern History course teaches things I've already go a good background of (I'm doing History GCSE) such as Nazi Germany and Stuart England. Thoughts?
username2895894
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KingCamembert)
I'm stuck between these two courses my sixth form offers. I thought Ancient History initially because I'm quite interested in Greek and Roman history, but the more modern History course teaches things I've already go a good background of (I'm doing History GCSE) such as Nazi Germany and Stuart England. Thoughts?
I would advice Ancient one since I personally find it more interesting and if you already cover the Modern one,wouldn't you want to learn something else?
KingCamembert
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by dariopussolo)
I would advice Ancient one since I personally find it more interesting and if you already cover the Modern one,wouldn't you want to learn something else?
Thank for the reply. True it'd be great to learn something new, but wouldn't having background knowledge be significantly helpful as you'd have a head start?
Ghostmaster475
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whichever one you take, background knowledge is not necessary but obviously it wouldn't hurt to learn more about what you're going to study. What you should do is if you can, find out the specific periods covered in both courses and read up about them and see which you find more interesting, different people are interested in different things, including periods of history.
username2895894
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank for the reply. True it'd be great to learn something new, but wouldn't having background knowledge be significantly helpful as you'd have a head start?
Honestly, if you know something already and you are really interested, you could do some research and learn yourself without struggling too much, but with Ancient history, since you have no base, trying to learn something without context, will be harder, not impossible, but definitely harder
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally adore ancient history but for me, I would think about what would be most beneficial for university. History is a facilitating subject whereas ancient history is not so probably taking history would open up more doors. If you want to pursue history as a career, you could always do ancient history at uni.

This is just the approach I would take - others would say do what makes you happier so ultimately it's down to what you're most comfortable with
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
Find out which History periods are covered and whether they interest you. They are both good to study but push comes to shove and I would pick History as the periods and events I think are more relevant and incredible.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
I personally adore ancient history but for me, I would think about what would be most beneficial for university. History is a facilitating subject whereas ancient history is not so probably taking history would open up more doors. If you want to pursue history as a career, you could always do ancient history at uni.

This is just the approach I would take - others would say do what makes you happier so ultimately it's down to what you're most comfortable with
Not sure whether Ancient history wouldnt just be classed under History for facilitating purposes.
tomuwtsd
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try investigating what joint honours and major/minor courses exist. I know several universities offer universites offer courses such as Ancient and Medieval History.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (48)
24.62%
Less motivated (147)
75.38%

Watched Threads