The Student Room Group

A level work load stress

Hi i am currently in yr 12 and am studying Maths, Further maths, physics and History. I have a strong academic background and got straight A* etc for gcse but my problem now is the immense work load. I am someone who is ok to sit and study for 8 hours etc in a row if required but despite this, i always feel that i am a couple days of work behind ( for example i am not up to date with maths exercises- in lessons we cover concepts so we can do questions from home. Whist i ensure i have a thorough understanding of the concept, i often feel i am a couple exercise behind as i dont get enough time). My worry is that if i always have to play the catch up game, when will i revise. Is it normal to be slightly behind or am i just inefficient? When must one start doing past papers in year 12?
(bearing in mind that the mocks i do at the end of year 12 will form the basis of my predicted grades, and are therefore very important)
All responses are much appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by liamdeltos
Hi i am currently in yr 12 and am studying Maths, Further maths, physics and History. I have a strong academic background and got straight A* etc for gcse but my problem now is the immense work load. I am someone who is ok to sit and study for 8 hours etc in a row if required but despite this, i always feel that i am a couple days of work behind ( for example i am not up to date with maths exercises- in lessons we cover concepts so we can do questions from home. Whist i ensure i have a thorough understanding of the concept, i often feel i am a couple exercise behind as i dont get enough time). My worry is that if i always have to play the catch up game, when will i revise. Is it normal to be slightly behind or am i just inefficient? When must one start doing past papers in year 12?
(bearing in mind that the mocks i do at the end of year 12 will form the basis of my predicted grades, and are therefore very important)
All responses are much appreciated

It's fine to behind time so long as you start revision early and have a good understanding prior to your exam week. You should start doing practice questions regularly, and planning what you should revise each week (e.g. 10minute booklet each morning per day for each subject, or one per day and then proper revision in the afternoon). You can do past paper whenever you feel ready, but it's best to always start exam style question as early as possible, when you've finished it do it again another time (I went through all my past papers at least 8x at AS a month before my exams, and got above 90 UMS for both Maths and FM).
Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
It's fine to behind time so long as you start revision early and have a good understanding prior to your exam week. You should start doing practice questions regularly, and planning what you should revise each week (e.g. 10minute booklet each morning per day for each subject, or one per day and then proper revision in the afternoon). You can do past paper whenever you feel ready, but it's best to always start exam style question as early as possible, when you've finished it do it again another time (I went through all my past papers at least 8x at AS a month before my exams, and got above 90 UMS for both Maths and FM).

Ok thank you so much for this advice i already feel alot better. When abouts did you start revising for your AS exams and just out of interest what did you get?
there's enough to time in the world.

I have a part time job and still do air cadets in year 13 and still have plenty of time to revise each day.

I recommend revising now if you want top grades. only small chunks however so only a sub topic topic each revision session or something along the lines of that.

take your time to understand stuff and it'll stick in your head.

Quick Reply