The Student Room Group

Will not exercising for a week make a difference?

I've been training for a half marathon in March, however for the last week I've not been able to do any exercise at all due to having a really bad chest infection. Will missing one week make a lot of difference to my overall fitness and weight?

I am already a very healthy person I'm just concerned it will take me a while to get back into it.
You'll just have a setback in training, that's all.
it made no difference for me when I couldn't run for a week.
No
"In highly-trained athletes, VO2 max decreases by 7 percent in the 12 to 21 days after stopping training and another 9 percent during days 21 to 84"Source: http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-out-of-shape_70267#T4rKMLsuKbjf0CCA.99
Original post by EwanWest
"In highly-trained athletes, VO2 max decreases by 7 percent in the 12 to 21 days after stopping training and another 9 percent during days 21 to 84"Source: http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/how-long-does-it-take-to-get-out-of-shape_70267#T4rKMLsuKbjf0CCA.99

12 days is far more than a week.
The difference is practically negligible and if there were any nigles it could actually be a beneficial break
No, it will not. Your first few runs back may not be as good as desired, but you'll be back to where you are in no time.

Also, your body has been fighting infection, so it's not like it hasn't been active on any level, so to speak.

You got this.
No. Your body can recover. If you were ill then to train on top of that could push you back further. So just agree with all the others who have said this.
No
Take off the week. Your health is more important than your fitness. And one week won't make any difference. In my experience, distance running is more about mental stamina than physical. Your legs might know that they can do it, but it's your mind that pushes you.

I've had to take the last 2 weeks off from working out (also long distance running) because I injured both my arms and don't think I'll be able to run again for another week or two. I know once I get back into it, my body will be able to do it, but my mind will need the push.

Quick Reply

Latest