Novels/Plays/Poems to use for connections across literary contexts

Watch
blinkedkiwi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Currently trying to find quotes for connections across literary contexts regarding Feminine Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy. Anyone know any interesting reads I can try?
username3693560
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As the name suggests, it's possible to link it to the Bible. Duffy re-appropriates the gospel truth from a female perspective and knowing a few ideas about Biblical teaching and Christian theology comes in quite useful when writing essays about her work.

I don't know how familiar you are with many fairy tales but there is a lot of fairy tale imagery in some of her poems, especially 'The Long Queen', the first one in the anthology.

I haven't read 'The World's Wife' but you may find some links between the two, so may be worth reading.

I believe there are some instances where she draws inspiration from the works of renowned male poets like John Donne and reimagines their works from a feminist standpoint. I would try to be as well-read in poetry by notable male poets and make connections between the two.

Is this for A Level?
blinkedkiwi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by erw2611)
As the name suggests, it's possible to link it to the Bible. Duffy re-appropriates the gospel truth from a female perspective and knowing a few ideas about Biblical teaching and Christian theology comes in quite useful when writing essays about her work.

I don't know how familiar you are with many fairy tales but there is a lot of fairy tale imagery in some of her poems, especially 'The Long Queen', the first one in the anthology.

I haven't read 'The World's Wife' but you may find some links between the two, so may be worth reading.

I believe there are some instances where she draws inspiration from the works of renowned male poets like John Donne and reimagines their works from a feminist standpoint. I would try to be as well-read in poetry by notable male poets and make connections between the two.

Is this for A Level?
Yeah, it's A Level English Lit. Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (32)
16.08%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.58%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
15.08%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (37)
18.59%

Watched Threads