How many units will be considered for final grades for further maths IAL?

Watch
IDDIN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My college doesnt do well in explaining so we right now we are taking FP1-3 S1-3 M1-3. Or better yet, can someone please help explaining how the Maths and Further maths components are considered for the final result
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maths involves c1-4 and then 2 applied units, either both unit 1s (e.g. M1 and S1) or a matched pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. M1 & M2).
Further Maths involves FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and a further 3 or 4 units to make a total of 6 (that are not included in Maths).
You appear to be studying an extra unit so your worst unit (apart from FP1) will be ignored.

Which applied units go where is calculated when your final grades are decided automatically in order to maximise:
  1. Your Maths grade
  2. Your Further Maths grade
  3. Your Maths UMS
  4. Your Further Maths UMS
IDDIN
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Maths involves c1-4 and then 2 applied units, either both unit 1s (e.g. M1 and S1) or a matched pair of 1 and 2 (e.g. M1 & M2).
Further Maths involves FP1, at least 1 from FP2 and FP3 and a further 3 or 4 units to make a total of 6 (that are not included in Maths).
You appear to be studying an extra unit so your worst unit (apart from FP1) will be ignored.

Which applied units go where is calculated when your final grades are decided automatically in order to maximise:
  1. Your Maths grade
  2. Your Further Maths grade
  3. Your Maths UMS
  4. Your Further Maths UMS
Okay so from what I understand, its possible for me to do the following:
Maths - C1-4 S1-2
FM - FP[1(a must have) + 2/3(choose either one)] M1-M3 S3
Which ones are the AS units for Further Maths?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IDDIN)
Okay so from what I understand, its possible for me to do the following:
Maths - C1-4 S1-2
FM - FP[1(a must have) + 2/3(choose either one)] M1-M3 S3
That's fine - you can't choose S1 and S2 in Maths, it might turn out to be M1 and S1, or M1 and M2 - but that is a legitimate 12 units across the 2 A levels.

(Original post by IDDIN)
Which ones are the AS units for Further Maths?
FP1 plus anything else not in Maths.
IDDIN
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
That's fine - you can't choose S1 and S2 in Maths, it might turn out to be M1 and S1, or M1 and M2 - but that is a legitimate 12 units across the 2 A levels.

Oh, thats funny. Here at my college its compulsory for everyone to take S1 and then choose either M1 or S2. Im not from the UK (assuming you are) so it might be a bit different I guess?
IDDIN
Rep:
?

Check this one out. Go to page 15 and 16.
I just stumbled upon this a few minutes ago and gotta say I was quite surprised how we can actually do things

http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...S_SPEC_WEB.pdf
IDDIN
Rep:
?

"Students who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules."

The 10 different modules, is C12/C34 considered as 1 module or 2?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IDDIN)
Oh, thats funny. Here at my college its compulsory for everyone to take S1 and then choose either M1 or S2. Im not from the UK (assuming you are) so it might be a bit different I guess?
S1 and S2 are allowable applied units in Maths it's just that, if you are also taking FM and so have done more applied units, you can't be the one who chooses what goes where.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by IDDIN)
"Students who are awarded certificates in both International Advanced Level Mathematics and International Advanced Level Further Mathematics must use unit results from 10 different teaching modules."

The 10 different modules, is C12/C34 considered as 1 module or 2?
For international students C12 and C34 and 2 single, double-sized modules - hence you only have to do 10. For domestic students they are 4 single modules (C1, C2, C3 and C4) and so you have to do 12.
IDDIN
Rep:
?
S1 and S2 are allowable applied units in Maths it's just that, if you are also taking FM and so have done more applied units, you can't be the one who chooses what goes where.
Ohh so that's how it works. Now I understand it, Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (121)
63.02%
I don't have everything I need (71)
36.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed