The Student Room Group

Jobs for 16 year olds in the uk

Where can i get a job at 16, i haven't done my gcses yet and whenever i go into local cafes, they're never looking for someone to hire. Does anyone know any places that i can apply to online that take 16 year olds before they take they're gcses?? I'm looking for a weekend job or one that doesn't clash with school hours. It's so frustrating because my birthday is early September, so by the time i can actually get a job at like Tesco, i'll be 17.

Scroll to see replies

Try retail - Primark, GAME, CEX, anything like that. If you have one near you, it's very easy for young people to find jobs in large shopping centres like Intu or Westfield.
Reply 2
I work in a Kids Play Center running children’s parties serving food/clearing tables and got hired at 15. If there are any kids play places near you maybe try there.
Reply 3
Ok i'll have a look now thanks
Reply 4
There's not many childrens centers but ill have a look online- lots got closed down thanks
Original post by Lozz Higginson
Try retail - Primark, GAME, CEX, anything like that. If you have one near you, it's very easy for young people to find jobs in large shopping centres like Intu or Westfield.

I believe Primark look for 18 years old for applicants. Never seen a 16year old working at GAME or CEX but maybe they accept 16 year olds. Not sure
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TooNocturnal
I believe Primark look for 18 years old for applicants. Never seen a 16year old working at GAME or CEX but maybe they accept 16 year olds. Not sure

My older sister worked for HMV as a Christmas temp at 16 and her friend worked for CEX, so I assume GAME's got similar rules. :smile:
Original post by Jen2727
Where can i get a job at 16, i haven't done my gcses yet and whenever i go into local cafes, they're never looking for someone to hire. Does anyone know any places that i can apply to online that take 16 year olds before they take they're gcses?? I'm looking for a weekend job or one that doesn't clash with school hours. It's so frustrating because my birthday is early September, so by the time i can actually get a job at like Tesco, i'll be 17.

A lot of places wont take on people till june time when they finish school.
You can try shops/supermarkets though.
Original post by Lozz Higginson
My older sister worked for HMV as a Christmas temp at 16 and her friend worked for CEX, so I assume GAME's got similar rules. :smile:

Ah maybe then :smile: But I know for sure Primark go for 18+. No idea why though since it's just clothes 😂
literally anywhere unless they specify you have to be 18+

i work at a restaurant ( recently turned 17)

my friends work at schuh, corner shops, dominos pizza, nandos, the white company, mcdonalds, selfridges, debenhams, independant restaurants, chain restaurants, starbucks, michael kors, wagamama, yo sushi etc.

i know you can work in asda, lidl, tesco, costa, waitrose, chipotle aswell. you can try retail but it will be a bit hard to get in.

i dont know where you live but top golf will accept students aswell

buckingham palace accepts people to work for the summer but you apply now and they pay £10 ph (retail, sales, tickets)

beware of independant restaurants. theyll usually abuse you tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jen2727

JuSt get a CV written up and drop it in to loads of places, explaining your time constraints etc. No reason why you can’t even work at Tesco’s or whatever, lots of students do.

Just got to get out and do it
There are not that many jobs. I have applied everyhere and still can't get one. Prepare for rejection OP.
Most jobs that will take 16 year olds will require them to be of school leaving age so from the last Friday in June before they will take you, paper rounds or doing jobs for people may be your best/only option until you’ve done your GCSEs
Ah maybe then :smile: But I know for sure Primark go for 18+. No idea why though since it's just clothes 😂

Thats not true. I know a couple of people who have worked at primark ages 16/17. One still works there actually.
Try any holiday sites near you. I know people who do glass collecting who are 15.
How about working in a dog kennel walking dogs or cleaning out cats at a cattery (if you don't mind animals that is)
Are there any farms near you, I know a lot of people get a job as a farm hand, but be prepared to shovel poo!
Playing for Arsenal FC in cup competitions.
Original post by Jen2727

I'm sixteen - year 12 and I work at a phone shop. It's the perfect job, flexible hours and bloody good pay
Original post by Emma:-)
Thats not true. I know a couple of people who have worked at primark ages 16/17. One still works there actually.

Strange. Because on their careers site it even says 18+. I checked their multiple times during my time as a 16 and 17 year old. Unless either it has recently changed, or they don't go by that rule as much as it seems. Who knows
Strange. Because on their careers site it even says 18+. I checked their multiple times during my time as a 16 and 17 year old. Unless either it has recently changed, or they don't go by that rule as much as it seems. Who knows

Where on their careers site does it say that? (i had a quick look but couldnt see anything, but i could have just been blind).
Im not 100% sure about it changing as I know of people further back as well who got jobs there aged 16/17. The one who still works there is one of them as she was in my year at 6th form (im 26 now) and she started aged 16/17. She is now a supervisor or manager or something similar there now. I know of people more recently who left mcdonalds (my last place of work) to go and work there.
The only thing i could think of was for night work as there were a couple of vacancies on there for night staff (stock replenishing type jobs) in what must be one their bigger stores and for that you would need to be over 18 as legally you need to be over 18 to work overnight.
Original post by Emma:-)
Where on their careers site does it say that? (i had a quick look but couldnt see anything, but i could have just been blind).
Im not 100% sure about it changing as I know of people further back as well who got jobs there aged 16/17. The one who still works there is one of them as she was in my year at 6th form (im 26 now) and she started aged 16/17. She is now a supervisor or manager or something similar there now. I know of people more recently who left mcdonalds (my last place of work) to go and work there.
The only thing i could think of was for night work as there were a couple of vacancies on there for night staff (stock replenishing type jobs) in what must be one their bigger stores and for that you would need to be over 18 as legally you need to be over 18 to work overnight.

Just checked too, seems they may have changed it, not sure. Can't remember what the job was that stated it but it was an in store job who knows. It was about a year or two ago for me now since I checked their last so I can't remember.

Though it seems I was wrong about primark, seems they do have some jobs accepting 16yr olds :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest