Do I need to remember the structure of glucose?

Watch this thread
username3158728
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I’m doing OCR A-level Biology, I know I need to be able to distinguish between the different forms of glucose and to be able to identify it from diagrams, but do I need to know how to draw it from scratch?
Yipyipee
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I do edexcel, but im pretty sure you do need to be able to draw it
It may be worth checking the specification.
username3158728
Rep:
(Original post by Yipyipee)
Thanks, the spec is quite vague in what it requires students to do but will ask my teacher 😊
Joemassey1
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by georgelagalle)
I’m doing OCR A-level Biology, I know I need to be able to distinguish between the different forms of glucose and to be able to identify it from diagrams, but do I need to know how to draw it from scratch?
I've never seen a question where you have to draw it from scratch (I'm in year 13 and do OCR also) but I've seen one where they give you the whole structure of Beta/Alpha and ask you to draw the other, so I think you just need to know the difference in position of an OH group
username3158728
Rep:
(Original post by Joemassey1)
I've never seen a question where you have to draw it from scratch (I'm in year 13 and do OCR also) but I've seen one where they give you the whole structure of Beta/Alpha and ask you to draw the other, so I think you just need to know the difference in position of an OH group
Thanks 👍🏼
iiarkhamknightii
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Yipyipee)
do you know what the grade boundaries are for edexcel biology?What percent would be an A
username3158728
Rep:
(Original post by iiarkhamknightii)
do you know what the grade boundaries are for edexcel biology?What percent would be an A
No, for OCR it’s usually around 80%, so edexcel is probably around that sort of number maybe.
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think you do. Along with ribose and deoxyribose.
username3158728
Rep:
(Original post by HateOCR)
I think you do. Along with ribose and deoxyribose.
Ok thanks 👍🏼
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Ok thanks 👍🏼
They are quite similar. If you just remember a-glucose and ribose then you just need to knock off an O for deoxyribose and swap the C-OH and C-H bond for a and b-glucose
Churiki
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Yeah sadly you do, I also do OCR A2 Biology and my teacher has made it clear that you need to know what Alpha and Beta glucose look like. This includes drawing them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads