IrishJim
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

I'm putting together my Primary PGCE Personal Statement at the moment but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

I was told by the University I'm applying to that I need to talk about different aspects of my five days of pre-interview classroom observation.
However, I'm a little unsure as to how I should be fitting this into the statement along with mentioning the other areas I'm expected to touch on (eg. my previous education, what skills I can bring to teaching from my current career etc.).

Would anyone be willing to share examples of how they did this in their personal statement or be able to point me in the right direction as to how they did so?

Thanks
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by IrishJim)
Hi all,

I'm putting together my Primary PGCE Personal Statement at the moment but have hit a bit of a brick wall.

I was told by the University I'm applying to that I need to talk about different aspects of my five days of pre-interview classroom observation.
However, I'm a little unsure as to how I should be fitting this into the statement along with mentioning the other areas I'm expected to touch on (eg. my previous education, what skills I can bring to teaching from my current career etc.).

Would anyone be willing to share examples of how they did this in their personal statement or be able to point me in the right direction as to how they did so?

Thanks
You can probably, to some extent, merge the skills and your school experience sections - presuming you did more than just observation, you could perhaps tie it together. If you did some one-to-one support with a child (perhaps with reading, or when they're stuck on a question) you could relate that to communication, perhaps providing an example from your current career as well etc. You might have led the class in an activity, worked with SEND children, helped with a school trip - if the skills can be tied directly to your school experience that'd look good. If your 5 days were just pure observation you'd need a different approach though.

Primary PGCEs generally accept any degree so I wouldn't spend many characters focusing on your previous education. If you can show you've covered English and Maths, and perhaps Science, then that should be enough, but they're not expecting you to have comprehensively covered the curriculum during your degree as they obviously accept people with English degrees who've never done Maths at that level, and there was a user on here (who got an offer from Cambridge!) who studied Advertising and Marketing. I'd focus more on your school experience - and other related, child/education-based experiences - than your degree and current career.
IrishJim
Rep:
?
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
If your 5 days were just pure observation you'd need a different approach though.

Unfortunately it was just pure observation. What way would you suggest approaching it instead?
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Unfortunately it was just pure observation. What way would you suggest approaching it instead?
In that case I'm not too sure, but this might be helpful - it covers what you need to address, with examples, fairly comphrensively: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/cte/th...ment_final.pdf
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Check out the guidance in my signature below There is an article on how to write teaching PSs
IrishJim
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
Check out the guidance in my signature below There is an article on how to write teaching PSs
Cheers but for some reason your signature isn't visible to me. Can you post in a link in this thread please?
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cheers but for some reason your signature isn't visible to me. Can you post in a link in this thread please?
These are the links in their signature:

- NEW Personal Statement Builder Tool
- Writing Your PS
- PS FAQs
- PS Library
- Subject Guides for Writing PSs
- Ask a question in the Personal Statement Advice Forum
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks for that

As above - the specific article is here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...onal-statement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads