The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth University Scholarship Exams (Law and English Literature)

Hello,

I'm an A Level student and I am about to take part in the Scholarship Exams for Aberystwyth University, which is my Firm choice.

I'm taking the Law and English Literature exams - has anybody else taken these examinations? What are the success criteria? How did you find them overall?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hello,

Just bumping this thread as I am taking the examinations in eight days and would like some advice - thanks in advance.

- Linguist99
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
My cousin took a very similar test like this, because I asked him for advice on it since i'm taking it as well. Mostly, just stick to what you know, but seriously, be INTERESTING. Obviously, you have to write well, but FTLOG do something quirky, or don't bother writing it at all as the examiner just won't care.

The exam is to see how we think, rather than if we can answer A level questions after all!
Reply 3
Thanks, FlintofBavaria - much appreciated!

I've printed out some past papers. Some of the questions in last year's Law paper were "discuss the potential role of the law in one of the following areas: Brexit, human trafficking, global warming, human rights protection", "how would you define the word "justice" and what is its relation to law?" and there is a case study also. However, all of these questions carry between 30 and 40 marks, and what I found was that during my attempts to answer these questions my answers were rather short. How long do the answers have to be, on average? Does the number of marks given correlate to the amount written? Thanks in advance, once again!

- Linguist99
Original post by linguist99
Hello,

I'm an A Level student and I am about to take part in the Scholarship Exams for Aberystwyth University, which is my Firm choice.

I'm taking the Law and English Literature exams - has anybody else taken these examinations? What are the success criteria? How did you find them overall?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @linguist99! :smile:

Exciting that you've decided on your firm choice! :h: Are you planning on studying Law or English Literature at Aberystwyth?

I've done a bit of research for you on the Law and English Literature Scholarships exam papers.

The Law paper has three sections. For Section A, candidates will be required to write an essay on a general topic related to law and justice from a choice of three questions. Section B consists of one compulsory question, which will require candidates to apply a legal rule (provided in the paper) to a number of different factual situations. Section C also consists of one compulsory question, which will require candidates to read a quote from an external source, to comment and evaluate the contents of the quote, and to provide a general analysis of the topic. The paper will test your essay-writing, linguistic, analytical, reasoning, and argumentation skills. Where appropriate, you're encouraged to express personal views which are informed by knowledge of recent issues in this field. The questions in the paper are sufficiently general that no candidate will be disadvantaged either by not having studied Law or by having followed any particular Law syllabus.

On the English Literature paper, you will be required to write one essay on a topic chosen from a list of general questions. The essay must show a critical engagement with two texts of your choice. These can be texts that you have previously studied or texts that you have read outside the curriculum. The essay should aim to present an informed and well-structured critical argument with a clear focus on the question. We are not interested in testing your ability to remember block quotations from your chosen texts (though relevant use of key phrases can give an edge to an argument). We are looking for evidence of careful reading, good writing skills and critical flair. Candidates will not be allowed to bring any texts into this examination. Please note that the format of the exam has changed this year, so if looking at previous examination papers, the questions will be very similar to the sort of questions asked in section B of the old exam format, so you can still use past papers to prepare.

Past examination papers can be found by following this link: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/scholarships/uk-eu-2018/entrance-merit/past-papers/

If you have any other questions, please ask!

Good luck :crossedf:

Lleucu :rose:
Reply 5
Hi Lleucu,

I'm going to be studying Law. Thank you very much for the advice!

- Linguist99
Original post by FlintofBavaria
My cousin took a very similar test like this, because I asked him for advice on it since i'm taking it as well. Mostly, just stick to what you know, but seriously, be INTERESTING. Obviously, you have to write well, but FTLOG do something quirky, or don't bother writing it at all as the examiner just won't care.

The exam is to see how we think, rather than if we can answer A level questions after all!

Which exam papers are you going to be sitting @FlintofBavaria? :smile:

Original post by Aberystwyth University
Which exam papers are you going to be sitting @FlintofBavaria? :smile:

I'll be taking the Europe and America history paper as well as the politics paper - I wish to study International Politics and Military History, so I thought them fitting! I'd love some advice, if you have any for me :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FlintofBavaria
I'll be taking the Europe and America history paper as well as the politics paper - I wish to study International Politics and Military History, so I thought them fitting! I'd love some advice, if you have any for me :smile:

Both papers seem well fitting for the International Politics ans Military History course! :smile:

The History Europe and America paper covers the history of Europe (excluding Britain) and the United States. Some questions will allow you to use evidence from any European country, but there will be specific questions on France, Germany, Italy and Russia. The paper will include around 30 questions, divided into two sections. You will answer one question from Section A and one question from Section B. Section A will be devoted to questions of a general historical nature. This section provides an opportunity for you to demonstrate that you're capable of dealing with the broader challenges of historical study in an informed and systematic way. You're advised that answers should demonstrate serious and wide-ranging thought, and include relevant examples from your historical knowledge. Section B will contain a wide range of questions from the early medieval period to the present day, arranged chronologically.

The Politics paper will consist of a choice of ten essay questions, of which you should complete two questions. Please note that the paper will not be based on the A-level Politics syllabus, and will be suitable for any student with a keen interest in political/international politics affairs. The questions are designed to allow you to provide personal views, which are informed by knowledge and understanding of recent political issues, international events and global challenges. We are looking for interesting perspectives and persuasive arguments, informed by good knowledge. Recent topics covered in the Politics and International Politics exam papers included issues such as: the refugee crisis, China’s global role, global inequality, nuclear proliferation, gender and politics, UK politics and devolution, climate change, US global leadership, terrorism, the future of the EU, the internet and politics, multiculturalism. For further details, you're contact the Department of International Politics on: [email protected]

Follow this link to find previous Entrance Scholarship exam papers, so you can have an idea of what kind of questions have been asked over the past few years: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/undergrad/scholarships/uk-eu-2018/entrance-merit/past-papers/

Good luck :crossedf:

Reply 9
What will be the difference between the Politics and the International Politics Paper?
Original post by 11parjac
What will be the difference between the Politics and the International Politics Paper?

Hi! :smile:

For more detailed information about the differences between the Politics and International Politics paper, contact the Department of International Politics on [email protected] - they will be happy to help you with any queries that you may have! :h:

Good luck! :crossedf:

Reply 11
Thanks once again for the help. I received my results on Thursday - I passed with a Merit Award!

- linguist99
Thanks once again for the help. I received my results on Thursday - I passed with a Merit Award!

- linguist99

That's fantastic @linguist99 - huge congratulations to you!! :yay:
Is Aberystwyth your firm choice? :smile:

Reply 13
Hi Lleucu,

Thank you very much! :biggrin: It is indeed - I am really looking forward to starting in September!

- linguist99
Hi Lleucu,

Thank you very much! :biggrin: It is indeed - I am really looking forward to starting in September!

- linguist99

Are you thinking of living at one of our student accommodations in September? :smile:

Reply 15
Hi Lleucu,

I am indeed - saw them on an Open Day and they looked amazing! :smile: Just to clarify, applications can be made from April 1st, right? Thanks :smile:

- linguist99
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi Lleucu,

I am indeed - saw them on an Open Day and they looked amazing! :smile: Just to clarify, applications can be made from April 1st, right? Thanks :smile:

- linguist99

Fantastic! Accommodation applications open at 9am on Monday the 9th of April, 2018. :h:

Reply 17
Brilliant, thank you very much - I think it might've been April 1 last year, whoops!

- linguist99

Quick Reply

Latest