Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Cutting to chase, my education stats are:
GCSE: 4 A* 5 A
A-Level ABB
University: (UoB) Birmingham & 2:1 MEng Chemical Engineering

I well under-performed in my A-Levels but I got into my first choice university anyway and so didn't care at the time/ didn't think it would matter. Now a lot of the jobs I want to apply for require AAB. What can I do? Anyone else share this pain? Obviously quite frustrating imo, wish I wasn't such a herpderp at A-Levels.

Thanks
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by alexjones1994)
A-Level ABB

I well under-performed in my A-Levels but I got into my first choice university anyway and so didn't care at the time/ didn't think it would matter. Now a lot of the jobs I want to apply for require AAB. What can I do? Anyone else share this pain? Obviously quite frustrating imo, wish I wasn't such a herpderp at A-Levels.

Thanks
What kind of jobs are you looking at?
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smack)
What kind of jobs are you looking at?
Consulting roles. For example Accenture is a company I would really like to work for but they require AAB..
z_o_e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They are not poor!
They are OUTSTANDING!
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A-Level ABB

Thanks
Apply anyway, you never know what might compensate. However, consulting is notoriously grade focussed, you should probably have a second line of applications.
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
They are not poor A-levels
Appreciate the kind words. I just meant poor in relation to what I was expecting / should of got.
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Apply anyway, you never know what might compensate. However, consulting is notoriously grade focussed, you should probably have a second line of applications.
Okay man. Well I graduated in 2017 and currently work in market research (not a million miles off consulting). Any suggestions if I want to pursue a career in consultancy?
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay man. Well I graduated in 2017 and currently work in market research (not a million miles off consulting). Any suggestions if I want to pursue a career in consultancy?
Spend a lot more time in market research and move with that as a speciality (and it really is a rather long way off consulting)
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Spend a lot more time in market research and move with that as a speciality (and it really is a rather long way off consulting)
Okay thanks man. Also FYI Market Research firms (like mine) also do complete custom projects for clients which (depending on the project) is not too far off what some consulting firms offer.
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Most firms are already closed for their 2018 intakes, so there isn’t really going to be a major rush.

There will be some firms you can apply to with your grades though, and depending on your background you might benefit from those who use contextualised recruitment processes (like Deloitte).

Look at some of the information on Inside Careers and The Gateway Online - lots of info on both those sites for consulting.
Thanks pal. Will check them out.
Smack
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Consulting roles. For example Accenture is a company I would really like to work for but they require AAB..
Consulting is a very broad term, is there a particular area or sector you're look at consulting in?

As others have said, you don't have poor A-levels - they're actually quite good, and you have a good degree too. Likely very few positions are going to be closed to you based on grades, unless you're really honing in on a particular area that happens to be particularly grade-focused.
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A-Level ABB

Thanks
Still apply.

Got into a firm that requires AAB, with less than that.. It's not the be all and end all.

I know friends that have great CVs but not that great A-levels but have still landed top jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BrexitBojo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Still apply.

Got into a firm that requires AAB, with less than that.. It's not the be all and end all.

I know friends that have great CVs but not that great A-levels but have still landed top jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay, will do. I thought perhaps it was an automatic filter for applications. No harm in applying I guess. Also I am glad to see you're still kicking about on the forums. Still IBD hopeful? (I gave up on that dream)
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, will do. I thought perhaps it was an automatic filter for applications. No harm in applying I guess. Also I am glad to see you're still kicking about on the forums. Still IBD hopeful? (I gave up on that dream)
Yeah boi. heading to Laz this spring, hope to convert.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sucoutuuglyqank
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, how come you didn't go into engineering after getting a chem eng degree? Was it cuz there were no eng jobs or did you just not have an interest?
(Original post by Princepieman)
Yeah boi. heading to Laz this spring, hope to convert.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
ABB are not bad grades

wtf lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (40)
13.56%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (45)
15.25%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (54)
18.31%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (120)
40.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (16)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (20)
6.78%