Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m stressed about this as well I’ve booked my first literacy one for the 16th of March and my first numeracy one for 7th April. I have to pass both by the 30th of June panicking that I’ll not have given myself enough time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy6p)
    I am in exactly the same situation as you! Except I still need my gcse maths and science which I am also doing. Stress isn’t the word, I have my nimeracy exam next week I’m revising so much but only get 32% it’s a night mare
    Hi Amy,
    Just wondered how you managed to get on an ITT course without GCSE maths and science? I am doing my GCSE maths currently and at all the teaching open evenings I have been to I was told to not even bother applying until I had finished the maths, therefore I am having to wait until UCAS opens for 2019/20 start.

ReputationRep:
      I passed both of my tests today! The question is when do I tell the uni's as I haven't had my last two interviews but one I have had wants me to pass by the end of March which I have. Do I tell the uni's that have given me offers even if they are not my first choices or should I wait to here off all the uni's and until after I have formally accepted offers?

ReputationRep:
    did you pass?how did you find the mathstutor tests compared with the real thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieB607)
    UGH this test is honestly the BAIN of my life at the moment. I'm revising every night when I get home from work, and taking regular practice tests via the QTS Maths Tutor website (though slightly panicked to read earlier in this thread they aren't like the actual tests...) and have my tests booked for Saturday.I know there's nothing I can do about it and I just have to get on with it, but it feels very frustrating to have to do them at all- I have 9 A*-B GCSEs (inc. maths and english), 3 A-B A-levels, a 2:1 in English, a masters degree, ten years relevant work experience and have passed a very rigorous interview that involved a literacy test, an essay and an observed lesson. I THINK I'M GOOD. The pressure of having to prepare for the numeracy exam in particular is messing with my mental health very much. I'm most concerned about the mental arithmatic section- it drives me mad that it doesn't feel like a skills test, it feels like a speed test.
    Did you pass? How did you find the real test compared with the QTSmathstutor tests?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm taking my literacy and numeracy tests in just under 2 weeks (a nice, relaxing hour gap between them :-) ). Anyway, if it helps anyone, I've been using the Mark Patmore book for numeracy and Peter's QTS videos (just google it). His videos take you through all the sections of the QTS and yes you do have to pay, but I'm just doing so just for the month prior to my tests. Obviously the DfE is good for practising timed tests too. I've only done 2 of them so far, as I'm trying to revise inbetween and use them as a gauge as to how I'm doing - 60% on the first one without using any of the videos/books, and 82% on the second after a decent amount of revision). 63% I think is the pass mark.
    For literacy I've been using Steve Paget's spelling lists that you can download on to the Quizlet app to practise. I've heard the Plymouth University QTS resources are really good for practising punctuation and comprehension. Crossed fingers I will pass first time but good luck to all of you too too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claudette)
    Hi Amy,
    Just wondered how you managed to get on an ITT course without GCSE maths and science? I am doing my GCSE maths currently and at all the teaching open evenings I have been to I was told to not even bother applying until I had finished the maths, therefore I am having to wait until UCAS opens for 2019/20 start.
    Sorry for the delay!!
    I have done my degree and had 8 years experience. It is the pgce I have applied for ! What course is it you want to do ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy6p)
    Sorry for the delay!!
    I have done my degree and had 8 years experience. It is the pgce I have applied for ! What course is it you want to do ?
    Did you do the QTS tests? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy6p)
    Sorry for the delay!!
    I did my degree 13 years ago and I’ve been in education for 20 years. I wanted to apply for SCITT but they said don’t bother until you have maths. The uni near me that offers PGCE said the same! Are you doing secondary?

ReputationRep:
    So I’m taking both skills tests for the first time tomorrow and I’m a bit nervous.

I’ve scored between 75-89% on the four numeracy practice tests; but the 89% really was a total fluke. I feel like I should be confident as I believe the pass mark is 63%; but in the back of my mind I feel guilty because I haven’t had the time to do any revision (I even bought the books, but other exams have got in the way).

My biggest concern is the mental arithmetic part because I need to write most questions down. I’ve been practising with pen and paper, and I’m worried that these whiteboards and markers everyone talks about won’t have enough room for my all my scribbling? I’m literally covering sheets of A4 in all the practices.

I also worry about going blank under pressure. When a question stumps me, I tend to go blank on the next couple because I’m stressing. 😟

Any advice? 😬

ReputationRep:
    How did it go? I'm the same with my practise tests but worried about the MA section. Mine are both on Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlin78)
    How did it go? I'm the same with my practise tests but worried about the MA section. Mine are both on Wednesday.
    Well, I passed both. You don’t get told your mark, so it’s hard to know quite how well it went really. I thought I’d put together a few tips though that might help others:

* If you’ve yet to book, do the numeracy first and get it over with. It makes the literacy a lot less pressured.
    * Do all 4 of the Practice tests. They are the exact same format / layout in the real thing. The only difference is they give you an exact mark. https://practice.skillstestbooking.com
    * I’d heard conflicting things about the white boards and whether you can rub stuff out. When I got there I asked the lady on the desk what the policy was and she told me it was my board to do whatever I wanted with. They even gave me a board rubber. I rubbed out my working after every question to keep it clear and easy to follow.
    * When I went into the test room, I asked the guy if I could have a second board. He looked at me like I was an alien and said only if he could find a spare, but to his credit he did fetch me a second one. Due to rubbing out, I didn’t really need it anyway.
    * Be prepared to sit VERY CLOSE to other testgoers (* I may have just invested this word). It was a bit off putting at first, but you do get used to it. When you sit down they ask you straight away to click ok on the screen, and it’s easy to feel a bit flustered. However, this just brings up the instructions to read. Take a moment to get comfortable, set your board and pen out, check they work etc, move the mouse if you’re left handed, take a few deep breaths, and only then click Start. This really helped me to calm down.

Tips for the actual test:
    * Know your bar charts, box and whiskers, pie charts and cumulative frequency graphs like the back of your hand. They’re all in the calculator section, so they should be among the easier marks if you’re well prepared.
    * Start noticing patterns. This is what really helped with the Mental Arithmetic. For example, if they start going on about 140 children in classes of 35 this might sound immediately offputting. But if you can quickly spot that 35/140 is 1/4, it becomes MUCH more simple (2 x 35 = 70; 70 x 2 = 140, therefore 1/4).
    * Many of the tricky questions have seemingly complicated stages, but end in significantly easier answers. For example, the time questions where you have to calculate how many sessions of 20 minutes will fit into a specific amount of time. The amount of time will normally be something unpleasant like starting at 9:35am with a seemingly unhelpful 15 minute break at 10:15. However, when you actually start working it out, the length of each session almost always fits neatly into the overall amounts of time.
    * For the time questions, try writing out the stages. Eg: starts at 9:35, +20 mins = 9:55, +20 mins = 10:15, +15 mins break at 10:15 = 10:30, +20 mins = 10:50, etc. Then you can just count how many 20 minute sessions you used. You’ll have to write fast, but it really helps!
    * Similarly for the age questions, write it out as 5y 7m, and then say the child’s reading age is 15 months above their real age, you can just add on or subtract accordingly. Eg: 15 months = 1y 3m. Therefore, 5y 7m + 1y 3m = 6y 10m.
    * Practise converting between fractions and decimals. Remember that a fraction is basically the top number divided by the bottom number. So 3/4 is the same as 3 divided by 4. This guy really helped: https://youtu.be/iHEsQVWzzEA
    * Remember percentages are just fractions over 100. If you need to convert 70%, it’s 70/100 = 7/10 = 0.7. Try to get used to recognising equal numbers in all their different forms. This will really help.
    * Dont freak out at the conversion questions (eg: miles and km). They almost always give you easy numbers. For example 1.6km = 1 mile, the question might be convert 8km, 16km, 32km. If it’s 8km, notice that half of 16 is 8. Therefore half of 1.6 is 0.8. 0.8km = 0.5 miles, therefore 8km = 5 miles. Again, if you can spot the patterns among the haze of numbers, it becomes significantly easier.

I really hope that helps. Any questions, just ask. 🙂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlin78)
    Good luck for Wednesday. I think the real questions are a little bit easier, so I think you’ll be fine. 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,I failed my first literacy skills test, I Just can't spell and comprehension. I have re booked my test for 2 months time. Could anyone give me some advice?what spellings have people got?Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs Z)
    Hi Guys,I failed my first literacy skills test, I Just can't spell and comprehension. I have re booked my test for 2 months time. Could anyone give me some advice?what spellings have people got?Thank you
    Hey,

Have you bought the Mark Patmore Skills Book? I read it cover to cover and probably most if not all of the practice questions came up. With the comprehension, make use of BBC Bitesize, GCSE and lower, they're quite useful.

Debbie

ReputationRep:
    I passed today both numeracy and literacy first time. I was sooo shocked! Literally the best advice is just go over and over similar questions. The department of education website has practice tests and that’s pretty much what you will get. Although I did find the numeracy a lot more easier than I expected but that could be down to doing 6 hours of revision a day for 2 weeks! I got an E at Maths GCSE first time round so I knew it would be difficult for me anyway. Just practice practice practice and you will get there! Best of luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanziebabe)
    I passed today both numeracy and literacy first time. I was sooo shocked! Literally the best advice is just go over and over similar questions. The department of education website has practice tests and that’s pretty much what you will get. Although I did find the numeracy a lot more easier than I expected but that could be down to doing 6 hours of revision a day for 2 weeks! I got an E at Maths GCSE first time round so I knew it would be difficult for me anyway. Just practice practice practice and you will get there! Best of luck
    Well done! what was the literacy spellings like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs Z)
    Well done! what was the literacy spellings like?
    They were ok but it’s so easy to overthink them when you type it up! I had to write a couple down on the white board to make sure haha. The spellings are like ‘authoritative’ ‘proceeded’ ‘representatives’.. words that you probably can spell but make you second guess.

And thank you!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrs Z)
    Hi, I passed both of mine, just before Easter. For the spellings, download the Quizlet app on to your phone and search for any of the Steve Paget's spelling lists. I think its about 160 words. Then practise those, all of mine came from that list. I did a massive session working out which ones I knew and starred the ones I didn't know or was unsure of, and practised just those ones. For the rest I just did the practise tests on the DfE website. Comprehension was the trickiest part so its important to really go through that section on the DfE ones - I downloaded the pdfs after doing them timed, just so I could go through it and really understand what I needed to do. I'm not sure if that's of any use but good luck. PS Also heard that the Plymouth University has good resources online, so maybe worth checking that out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebbieF)
    Hey,

Have you bought the Mark Patmore Skills Book? I read it cover to cover and probably most if not all of the practice questions came up. With the comprehension, make use of BBC Bitesize, GCSE and lower, they're quite useful.

Debbie
    thank you!

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.