The Student Room Group

A-levels vs. IB

As you guys know universities tend to state their standard offers in terms of both IB points and A-levels. Let's say that im applying for a course that has standard offer/entry requirements of 38 points or AAA at a-levels. If my predicted grades then would be around 40/41 out of 45. Would that mean that the univerisities will consider me as a better applicant in comparison to anyone with AAA predicition. (assuming other things equal; we have equally good personal statements, equally essential subjects etc). In other words would I stand a better chance of receiving an offer than AAA students.
But there's no way to tell if the AAA student is capable of achieving more than just AAA, since an A is already the highest possible grade. Surely they will look at other parts of the application as well...?
Reply 2
yeah ofc they will. but like i said other parts of applications being equal between an ib students of 40 points or AAA student would they end up choosing the student with 40 points.
Possibly.
Keep in mind we have to do more - Extended Essay, CAS hours, TOK, etc...
As well as (usually) 6 classes over the two years, with the IA's and everything.
We're just better. xD
Reply 4
they should theoretically consider you as a better applicant already with 38 pts. because AAA is equal only to some 34 points according to the ucas tariff tables.. but - to your original question - .. yes they will.. yes you would..
Reply 5
I think that would hold up for places without interview. But once you get to interview somewhere, I don't think they care too much about slight academic differences between candidates. One thing to consider is the fact that IB students tend to be better speakers so would be more likely to excel at interview as well (English Oral commentary etc).

We are just better, and I think following a more rounded programme helps :biggrin:
Reply 6
jay8
I think that would hold up for places without interview. But once you get to interview somewhere, I don't think they care too much about slight academic differences between candidates. One thing to consider is the fact that IB students tend to be better speakers so would be more likely to excel at interview as well (English Oral commentary etc).

We are just better, and I think following a more rounded programme helps :biggrin:

hehe well at least it seems that some of us are good at interviews. What I mean is that it seems you have an offer from Oxford. :yy:
Reply 7
Tigger7
hehe well at least it seems that some of us are good at interviews. What I mean is that it seems you have an offer from Oxford. :yy:

Yeah, but I'm not sure that was down to speaking skills so much: I kind of froze up and mumbled away. Think it was my Biology that got me through that one... Thanks though :smile:

But the majority of Oxbridge offers in my school (5/6) went to IB students, so it must give us some advantage...
Reply 8
It's been discussed to death though really, the IB is just makes it easier for a university to make their decision on a student based on their academic merit (i.e. more specific scores) whereas an A-level student, due to some limitations, will probably have their PS, GCSEs (sometimes), references etc looked at more.
Man, no-one at my school got oxbridge offers. We have people predicted 42 (without EE+TOK) and it's just... ridiculous.
My school's seen as more of a country club than a school though. XD
Until I'd joined TSR, I'd never even heard of the IB. So, we certainly were never given a chance to do it if we wanted to. What I'm saying is that although I agree that by the sounds of it, IB students have to do a lot more work and their scoring system is valued higher than that of A-level students, if an A-level student has never been given the oppurtunity to do IB, does this put them at an unfair disadvantage since there'd be automatic preference of the IB student?

Sorry if I'm sounding like a right n00b. :P I know next to nothing about the IB, but it does sound like it has better prospects than doing A-levels.
Oh I dunno. I mean I suppose quite a few schools (the overwhelming majority, I think) don't offer the chance to teach the IB. So I suppose this /would/ be taken into account when judging the application. If your school does offer it, though, perhaps that would be taken negatively?

The IB ... maybe it has better prospects. I just know we have to do a hell of a lot of work, xP. But I've seen some uni's require a LOT more points from an IB kid than A levels, and that just made me think 'wtf is going on here?' Can't think of an example off the top of my head though.

It all really depends on the uni. xP

EDIT; It's too late for me to make sense. xD
Reply 12
trm90
It's been discussed to death though really, the IB is just makes it easier for a university to make their decision on a student based on their academic merit (i.e. more specific scores) whereas an A-level student, due to some limitations, will probably have their PS, GCSEs (sometimes), references etc looked at more.

That's a good point, yet I think if decision has to be made between two people, one with 40 points and one with AAA, with equally strong PSs etc, I myself would guess they would choose the IB dude. This however is only my guess,,,

P.S. just so that no one gets it wrong..Im not trying to say that I think IB programme is better, but I MYSELF just think it allows one to achieve better results than A-levels do, and Im just curious to hear what other people think..
Reply 13
Tigger, you have a point though. I myself would also choose the IB student as well because they've obviously achieved a greater score, though unfortunately the limitations of A-level marks can be very misleading.

I would say IB is equal to A-levels when universities are completely aware of how the comparison between the two works.

When a university's typical ABB offer to an A-level student is equivalent to a 30 point offer to an IB student, you know that the university has definitely refined their admissions scheme in terms of IB and A-levels.
Reply 14
trm90

When a university's typical ABB offer to an A-level student is equivalent to a 30 point offer to an IB student, you know that the university has definitely refined their admissions scheme in terms of IB and A-levels.

Sadly most uni dont match the scores, oxbridge for example want 40 points from my friends on the Ib and AAA from A level students. this is in no way fair.. if using UCAS points, 40 is equivalent to 5 and 1/2 As at Alevel.

Also to answer the OP question some of my friends on Ib have received lower offers than stated on prospectus as the Uni have obviously felt they want them on their course whilst other who have had a higher predicted score than that stated in prospectus have been asked for their predicted score. so even though it says 38 theyve been asked for 40. it depends on the Uni and as others have said other factors of your application, reference, personal statement etc.
Reply 15
If they like the applicant enough of course they can change the offer. My friend who does A Levels got an offer of EEE from a course that would otherwise ask for ABB. If you make sure they love you, it doesn't matter how many points the prospectus says you need...

Latest

Trending

Trending