The Student Room Group

Feel like my Life is falling apart

I wish i could go back in time and apply for Sixth form this time last year.I failed my GCSE's which i only received last week and i dont know what to do with my life.I want to do A Levels,but i have depression and struggling to get my life together.I missed the resits in November and i feel like my Life is in Derail.Will it be wierd if i am with students who are one year younger than me etc all these thoughts,where/how do i resit my GCSE's.I hate my life and wish i go to asleep and never wake up again
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I wish i could go back in time and apply for Sixth form this time last year.I failed my GCSE's which i only received last week and i dont know what to do with my life.I want to do A Levels,but i have depression and struggling to get my life together.I missed the resits in November and i feel like my Life is in Derail.Will it be wierd if i am with students who are one year younger than me etc all these thoughts,where/how do i resit my GCSE's.I hate my life and wish i go to asleep and never wake up again

Don’t do A levels. No offence, but I went through GCSEs with flying colours and failed A levels. Leaving me years behind my friends and left doing a BTEC. A levels are really really hard and mine weren’t even the traditional ‘hard’ subjects either. Do a BTEC, they’re a lot more higher rated than they sound, many many universities accept them now, and will continue to as they’re loosing students
Reply 2
Original post by Woksin
Don’t do A levels. No offence, but I went through GCSEs with flying colours and failed A levels. Leaving me years behind my friends and left doing a BTEC. A levels are really really hard and mine weren’t even the traditional ‘hard’ subjects either. Do a BTEC, they’re a lot more higher rated than they sound, many many universities accept them now, and will continue to as they’re loosing students

A levels is what i want to do.If i fail,i'll fail knowing i gave it my all.You have one life,i dont want any regrets.I will give my all to passing A Levels to go to Uni.
It won't be weird if they're a year younger than you, no. I did 3 years of alevels and was sitting exams with people 2 years younger than me. The age gap really evens out in the first few months of college. If you're really determined then do it. But Alevels are extremely difficult. Go for it and give it your all but if you don't do well don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to the best of us. I really wish I'd waited until I turned 19 and did an access course instead
Reply 4
Original post by AmberTheApple
It won't be weird if they're a year younger than you, no. I did 3 years of alevels and was sitting exams with people 2 years younger than me. The age gap really evens out in the first few months of college. If you're really determined then do it. But Alevels are extremely difficult. Go for it and give it your all but if you don't do well don't beat yourself up about it, it happens to the best of us. I really wish I'd waited until I turned 19 and did an access course instead

Yes i will,i will die trying to pass.First thing first is how do i get into a sixth form/college.My GCSE grade at Maths is a sticking point,i got a D(Grade 3)and English Grade 4.I cant just stay at home like i have in these last few months how do i get a resit so i can get into A college/sixth form.I really want to get out of this depression mode i am in.
Yes i will,i will die trying to pass.First thing first is how do i get into a sixth form/college.My GCSE grade at Maths is a sticking point,i got a D(Grade 3)and English Grade 4.I cant just stay at home like i have in these last few months how do i get a resit so i can get into A college/sixth form.I really want to get out of this depression mode i am in.

Contact the exams office at the school you sat your GCSES at and ask them to put you in for resits for maths. You'll have to pay but might be worth it. Or ring the college admissions first and ask for their guidance on the matter, they may let you resit your maths GCSE alongside Alevels next year:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AmberTheApple
Contact the exams office at the school you sat your GCSES at and ask them to put you in for resits for maths. You'll have to pay but might be worth it. Or ring the college admissions first and ask for their guidance on the matter, they may let you resit your maths GCSE alongside Alevels next year:smile:

Option A is out of the question,I do not have the best of relations with my former school.Option B is the ideal scenario but what college will honestly let me go to A Levels with only a Grade 4 in English and a fail at Maths ??? From their point of view is if he didnt pass Gcse's how will he able to pass A Levels.It'll be like a wasted place.This is the trouble i find myself in,i just wish i fall through a hole.
I'm not trying to be rude but get a grip kiddo. Exams aren't everything in life. You'll be shocked to find out the number of students who got A*AA in exams, went to university and can't find a graduate job. Employers care about practical skills these days, not just exam grades.

Seriously the teachers spewing this nonsense into people about grades being everything need a reality check.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by eng2017
I'm not trying to be rude but get a grip kiddo. Exams aren't everything in life. You'll be shocked to find out the number of students who got A*AA in exams, went to university and can't find a graduate job. Employers care about practical skills these days, not just exam grades.

Seriously the teachers spewing this nonsense into people about grades being everything need a reality check.

So what do you suggest i do ?? Sure i'm going to get a well paid job on the back of 'practical skills' other than the majority who have Degrees,A Levels etc.All i am saying i want to resit GCSE Maths and get into College
Sorry to hear this.

You can do your GCSEs again on an evening course at a local college or by home learning such as oxford open learning.

Is their a school counsellor you could go to regarding your depression? You can go and see your GP.

You could resit your GCSEs then do a BTEC or access to higher education further down the line.

You could also choose any degree you want with the Open University online.

It's up to you but I also know people who passed with flying GCSEs who got poor A-level results. You could do a BTEC which unis including good universities accept.

I'm not saying don't do A-Levels, if you want to do A-Levels then go for it.

Good luck
(edited 6 years ago)
as post 10 says, you need to address the depression. once that has been sorted everything else will be manageable. go and see your GP: they can give you therapy.
So what do you suggest i do ?? Sure i'm going to get a well paid job on the back of 'practical skills' other than the majority who have Degrees,A Levels etc.All i am saying i want to resit GCSE Maths and get into College

apprenticeships, trade school, army, there's lots of options. much better than studying a useless academic subject for 3 years.
Original post by eng2017
apprenticeships, trade school, army, there's lots of options. much better than studying a useless academic subject for 3 years.

To get into Apprentships you need a Grade 5 at Maths aswell.That's why i'm saying i should retake my GCSE's and then if i do pass,Apprentships or A Levels i will choose one
To get into Apprentships you need a Grade 5 at Maths aswell.That's why i'm saying i should retake my GCSE's and then if i do pass,Apprentships or A Levels i will choose one

I was in the same position as you. I got a D in GCSE Maths. Two years later self-taught myself the syllabus, got an A. Then self-taught myself the A-Level and got an A again.
Original post by eng2017
I was in the same position as you. I got a D in GCSE Maths. Two years later self-taught myself the syllabus, got an A. Then self-taught myself the A-Level and got an A again.

How the hell did you manage to teach yourself ?? That must've been agony.I have no idea what to do and just overload my mind with regret why didnt i focus that bit more or even try to resit in November last year.I honestly wish that i go to asleep and never wake up again

Quick Reply

Latest