Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all! I've received an unconditional offer from York for their English BA course and a conditional offer from Durham for their English Literature BA course. I'd really love to hear about your experience with either (pros and cons, how you like your lecturers, etc.), any info helps! Thank you!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
francescarlett
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 100017331)
Hi all! I've received an unconditional offer from York for their English BA course and a conditional offer from Durham for their English Literature BA course. I'd really love to hear about your experience with either (pros and cons, how you like your lecturers, etc.), any info helps! Thank you!

Hi! I am a third year studying English and Related Literature at York and I absolutely love it and would cannot recommend it enough. The course is really interesting and extremely flexible so that you can get a broad understanding of all of the key themes but you still get a chance to explore your own interests in detail. I've studied everything from medieval literature, to French literature, and I'm doing a module right now on the Bible which is very cool and driven entirely by my tutor's own research! As I am in my final year, my peers are all doing their dissertations so I am writing on Jane Austen, but my friends are doing everything from David Bowie, to Saturday Night Live!

One of the really interesting things about York is that in addition to lectures, seminars, and workshops you have the opportunity to visit your lecturers one on one in their open office hours to discuss anything at all. You can talk about an upcoming essay, some feedback that you've received, or just a book that you read recently for fun or something that came up in one of your contact hours that you are interested in discussing further. The lecturers are extremely helpful and friendly, and so is everyone I've met at York. I am fairly sure even the bus drivers would try their best to help you out if you have a problem but you won't ever be able to get to that point as there are so many different points of contact in place if you need any help.

Honestly the only con about studying at York is that there are a lot of geese and I'm not a big fan of birds, but that in comparison to all of the pros that I can't even begin to list isn't too much of a hardship!

If you have any questions, this page from the university is really helpful. Also, a few different blogs like this or this one about York's social life may give you an idea of what York is like but if you have any questions about anything at all please just let me know!

Hope that helps!!
Fizzy98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I go to uni of York and it’s INCREDIBLE but I understand I’m biased lol, but I am certain that you will love York if you go. The staff and students are so lovely. Good luck!
Just to check, is it uni of york or york St. John that you’ve had your offer from? If YSJ I would put Durham first.
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by francescarlett)
Hi! I am a third year studying English and Related Literature at York and I absolutely love it and would cannot recommend it enough. The course is really interesting and extremely flexible so that you can get a broad understanding of all of the key themes but you still get a chance to explore your own interests in detail. I've studied everything from medieval literature, to French literature, and I'm doing a module right now on the Bible which is very cool and driven entirely by my tutor's own research! As I am in my final year, my peers are all doing their dissertations so I am writing on Jane Austen, but my friends are doing everything from David Bowie, to Saturday Night Live!

One of the really interesting things about York is that in addition to lectures, seminars, and workshops you have the opportunity to visit your lecturers one on one in their open office hours to discuss anything at all. You can talk about an upcoming essay, some feedback that you've received, or just a book that you read recently for fun or something that came up in one of your contact hours that you are interested in discussing further. The lecturers are extremely helpful and friendly, and so is everyone I've met at York. I am fairly sure even the bus drivers would try their best to help you out if you have a problem but you won't ever be able to get to that point as there are so many different points of contact in place if you need any help.

Honestly the only con about studying at York is that there are a lot of geese and I'm not a big fan of birds, but that in comparison to all of the pros that I can't even begin to list isn't too much of a hardship!

If you have any questions, this page from the university is really helpful. Also, a few different blogs like this or this one about York's social life may give you an idea of what York is like but if you have any questions about anything at all please just let me know!

Hope that helps!!
Thank you so much for your reply! The links were super helpful and your info about the dissertation because even though it's four years away I'm already worrying about it . My only question would be about accomodation. Where did you stay during your first year?
francescarlett
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 100017331)
Thank you so much for your reply! The links were super helpful and your info about the dissertation because even though it's four years away I'm already worrying about it . My only question would be about accomodation. Where did you stay during your first year?
No worries, when I was a first year I went for the cheapest accommodation possible so I was in Halifax college. York is a collegiate university, the cliched comparison is to the houses in Hogwarts as people say that each college has it's own personality but so many different people studying different subjects live in the colleges. It just depends on whether you want to be catered or self-catered, to have an en suite or shared facilities, and where on campus you want to stay. Personally, I prioritised price so I went for cheap accommodation that was self-catered and shared kitchen and bathroom and had a great time with great people! Here's a link to the accommodation pages so you can have an explore but please let me know if you have any questions! Hope this helps!!
QIWirelessCharge
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi. By what criteria is Durham judged to be best in the UK for English Literature?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.49%
Uncertainty around my education (70)
11.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (67)
11.15%
Lack of purpose or motivation (78)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (34)
5.66%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (33)
5.49%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.48%
Financial worries (39)
6.49%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
3.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (35)
5.82%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (17)
2.83%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (59)
9.82%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (49)
8.15%

Watched Threads