Southampton accommodation halls Watch

Shey11
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I was just looking at the Southampton accommodation halls and I can’t decide between the chamberlain halls in Glen Eyre or the mayflower halls.
What I’m looking for:
- ensuite
-social but also with privacy when needed
- single room
Which one do you recommend and any other halls I haven’t listed would be welcome too
alleycat393
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shey11)
Hi, I was just looking at the Southampton accommodation halls and I can’t decide between the chamberlain halls in Glen Eyre or the mayflower halls.
What I’m looking for:
- ensuite
- single room
Which one do you recommend and any other halls I haven’t listed would be welcome too
Moved to the Southampton forum. You can take virtual tours online and each accommodation may have it's won website.
2ELL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was in Archers Road halls - it had an en-suite and stuff. I think getting the balance between social and quiet is just a case of keeping your door open when you want to be social and shutting it/wearing earplugs if you want an early night as, regardless of which halls you're in, it's likely to be noisy. I didn't mind archer's road too much, it was my last choice but I quite enjoyed it there in the end. The only gripe I had with it is that it's not quite as close to Highfield campus as I'd have liked. I'd definitely recommend visiting all the halls you're interested in as well as looking at them online.

Good luck (:
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What I’m looking for:
- ensuite
- single room
Hi,

Both Chamberlain and Mayflower halls are very nice. I think the difference between them is the location and the atmosphere. Glen Eyre is the closest halls to uni (10 min walk) and it has a nice community feel with green spaces (quite spread out). Mayflower is a modern building in the city centre (next to the train station) so you'd most likely get the bus (U2 goes every 10/15 mins) or cycle to uni. I live in Glen Eyre at the moment so if you have any questions, just ask
Shey11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hi,

Both Chamberlain and Mayflower halls are very nice. I think the difference between them is the location and the atmosphere. Glen Eyre is the closest halls to uni (10 min walk) and it has a nice community feel with green spaces (quite spread out). Mayflower is a modern building in the city centre (next to the train station) so you'd most likely get the bus (U2 goes every 10/15 mins) or cycle to uni. I live in Glen Eyre at the moment so if you have any questions, just ask
Thank you for your help, do you know anyone in mayflower atm? And what do they say about it in terms of how social it is? I know glen Eyre is known for being one of the most social halls. And if you don’t mind my asking what are you studying at Southampton?
VioletPhillippo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your help, do you know anyone in mayflower atm? And what do they say about it in terms of how social it is? I know glen Eyre is known for being one of the most social halls. And if you don’t mind my asking what are you studying at Southampton?
Hi,

I'm in my 1st year of chemistry at the moment. I think that all of the halls are equally as social as it really depends on what your flatmates/people in your block are like. Mayflower is a really large halls building whereas in Glen Eyre there are lots of separate buildings. From Mayflower it is much easier to go out to bars and clubs in town but Glen Eyre is much closer to all the main uni events.
CaitlanDenham
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hi,

I'm in a similar situation where I can't decide between Chamberlain and Mayflower. I know that Chamberlain Halls is one of ten halls under the Glen Eyre complex, so when applying for accommodation is there anywhere or anyone that I can state my preference to stay in Chamberlain Halls? Do I apply to Mayflower, or do I take the risk of applying to Glen Eyre and potentially get accommodation that I don't want? Can you help?
Shey11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by CaitlanDenham)
I'm in a similar situation where I can't decide between Chamberlain and Mayflower. I know that Chamberlain Halls is one of ten halls under the Glen Eyre complex, so when applying for accommodation is there anywhere or anyone that I can state my preference to stay in Chamberlain Halls? Do I apply to Mayflower, or do I take the risk of applying to Glen Eyre and potentially get accommodation that I don't want? Can you help?
Hi, I’m not yet in Southampton but when applying I made mayflower my 1st and 2nd choice (ensuite 1 and 2) and chamberlain my 3rd. I think to get into chamberlain you have to apply for the category 2 ensuite rooms at glen Eyre, I believe the chamberlain ones are the only ones with category 2
massssssss_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I also applied for mayflower ensuite cat2 and Glen eyre ensuite cat 2 !! They both look really good to me, but i heard great things about the mayflower despite the fact it’s quite far from the uni!! Hope you managed to make a choice 😁😁 x x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
VioletPhillippo
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by CaitlanDenham)
Hi,

As the poster below has said, I believe that all the rooms in Chamberlain are ensuite cat 2. This is because it is the newest block. The cat 1 ensuites at Glen Eyre are fine, just much older. I went from a cat 2 ensuite at Wessex Lane to a cat 1 ensuite at Glen Eyre and the main difference was the age/style.
Shey11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by massssssss_)
I also applied for mayflower ensuite cat2 and Glen eyre ensuite cat 2 !! They both look really good to me, but i heard great things about the mayflower despite the fact it’s quite far from the uni!! Hope you managed to make a choice 😁😁 x x
Hii applied for those two halls as well 😁😁
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (44)
9.22%
I used to but I don't now (13)
2.73%
No, but I want to start (170)
35.64%
No, I am unable to (112)
23.48%
No, I chose not to (138)
28.93%