If we think foreign names are odd is it vice versa

Watch
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When we look at Asian, middle eastern etc names and think those names are weird do they think British names are wired too
Miss.Unknow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's likely. But because of the influence of British films, media and culture i think they'll be more used to British names.
username3741972
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Bob
Boob
_Poseidon_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not really. I'm Indian, although i live in the middle east so I'm quite multicultural. In India, there's a large Christian community, so names like John, Thomas, Luke etc... Are all extremely common in India and there is that western media influence as well. Although the middle east is predominantly muslim, there is A LOT of British influence here, so it's not uncommon. Especially in rapid growing places like Dubai, there tends to be more expats than locals, so it is a very diverse community. Also, most of my friends who are part of royalty always visit the UK and end up going to Sandhurst Military Academy, so there is that too
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
not as much - because of the largely 1-way media influence..

but many places around the world do have a problem pronouncing western names. I would say around 1/20 people here in China can say my name correctly, and its not even a hard name, it just has a 'th' in it, which is a very unusual and difficult sound for them to say.. it almost always becomes either an 'ss' or an 'ff'.

Its why including mis-pronunciations as 'micro-aggressions' is largely *******s.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.1%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (30)
16.39%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (27)
14.75%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (50)
27.32%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.03%

Watched Threads