Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know what is it like to study chemistry at open uni.

is it easy to graduate with 2:1 ?

because I want to continue and get the master and PhD. so I was wondering if the lack of the lab experience will affect my Master's and PhD.

or the lab experience will be gained during the master and the PHD?

If someone attended the residential school, did it really benefit you ?

Please share your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miracles seeker)
    I would like to know what is it like to study chemistry at open uni.

is it easy to graduate with 2:1 ?

because I want to continue and get the master and PhD. so I was wondering if the lack of the lab experience will affect my Master's and PhD.

or the lab experience will be gained during the master and the PHD?

If someone attended the residential school, did it really benefit you ?

Please share your experiences.
    You need around 70% in your 2nd and 3rd year modules (though 3rd year are double weighted) to graduate with a 2:1. Some people find this hard, some don't. The OU mark differently from other unis which is why the grade threshold is so much higher.

The lack of lab experience might hinder you depending on what kind of master's you want to apply for. Some require you to propose a research project so a lack of experience might hold you back. Not all do. There is plenty you can do about that though like going to get work experience, or finding a job in the sector to build up your experience.

I don't think there are any residential schools included with any of the science degrees any more (I do biology), but from what I can see all the chemistry practical modules are online as well. There are companies such as Biograd who offer practical courses, there may well be some more chemistry-related ones as well. The OU did put on a cell biology residential week last year for biology students which was around £250 for the week. But that was in addition to the normal study costs and not part of the actual degree.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.