Should the English Lit GCSE be open book? Watch

username3444162
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So far the petition has over 100,000 votes, so now we are awaiting a date for debate in the House of Commons.

Discuss whether you think they should make the exams open book or not.
CharlieGeorge13
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
On one hand, it would make all our lives a whole lot easier buttttt

It won’t happen for the current year 10/11s- it is easy to achieve a high grade if you Learn the quotes and those who put the effort in lose the edge
Furthermore, if it Happens for the current year 7/8s - it will be easier for them to get good grades and will be more competitive in getting jobs

Soooooo
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3444162
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by CharlieGeorge13)

It won’t happen for the current year 10/11s- it is easy to achieve a high grade if you Learn the quotes and those who put the effort in lose the edge
Furthermore, if it Happens for the current year 7/8s - it will be easier for them to get good grades and will be more competitive in getting jobs

Soooooo
I completely agree.
People that sign that petition in my opinion are just lazy.
Noodlestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think personally it is easier to learn the quotes you need rather than waste time scanning the book for the quote you need. At a level we get the book and they still expect you to know the quotes well. Some students would never even pick up the book and expect a good grade
yellowcopter
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I managed to pass GCSE Literature with flying colours, albeit I was gifted at English. As far as I can remember, though it was a while ago the memorisation wasn't all that hard. But in theory, I would agree with yes they should be open book. I don't see how memorising quotes relates to understanding the literature any better. You could be the most amazing interpreter of books and poems, but have the worst memory. I just don't understand what skills one gains from just being able to memorise certain parts of a book or poem.

I think the only reason it remains is to make it that little bit more challenging I guess and to go in line with the legacy of the syllabus from the CSE/O Level days. Back when I did GCSE such a small part wasn't open book so, I'm not sure if now a large percentage is but if it's still small I don't see it a big deal whether it changes or not.

I guess one could argue though that if you really do read a piece of literature and comprehend it you'd easily be able to memorise the most important parts and quotes? I usually do in my day to day life, but what I read in a day is probably a lot more interesting and engaging.
Pingponggirl
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, definately not. There is no use of such exams. Although English is unseen, but the problem is that books contain a lot of content to help the children during the paper. It would affect their learning.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nope it shouldn't - it is one reason the old GCSEs had such a bad reputation. The new GCSEs are trying to get back to the standard of the old O'Levels which I took. Even the new GCSEs are a easier then the O'Levels. The easier they make them the less they will be accepted by the employers, so there is no point.

I did O' Level English Literature and no we couldn't take the book in, nor given any help in any way. We had to learn everything.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no. just some more lazy kids looking for an easier way of life.
existent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When I did English Literature the prose was closed book but the drama and poetry was open book.

A mixture would be good but overall it doesn't make a difference. Even in my drama and poetry exam I remember learning quotes because you don't want to be wasting valuable time in the exam flicking through the play looking for evidence.
eggyeol
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would you rather waste time in the exam scanning the book for the right quote or just spend a few minutes a day memorising one or two in the run up to the exams?

They're asking you to remember a few quotes that don't even have to be word for word, it's not that difficult.
Celxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But saying that we have to learn 15 poems, remember quotes from the Christmas carol, the inspector calls, Macbeth, remember vocabs from other languages. Such as French. Understand other subject's content. In fact, I am a very hardworking student but it is difficult for me to understand all these information. And as much I like English literature I am not going to quote Macbeth or Christmas carol in the future.
hannah429
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is in the student's best interest to memorise the quotations etc because it simply wastes time if you don't. also, the majority of marks for English literature anyways is about knowing the text well. so if you aren't learning quotations as a result of knowing the text well, then what really have you been doing?

learning quotations is a skill

regardless as to whether my exam is open book or not, I would 100% memorise at least 100 quotations as part of revision.
MKBH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As someone who recently did English Lit at A Level, I think it's worth saying that in class we did mocks and were allowed to look at the books and no one got below a B, but when we did the same mocks closed book (with only 1 or 2 words in the question changed), no one got an A, less than 5 people got a B, and everyone else got C or below. Plus, (several teachers agreed when the class said this) in the real world and in job settings, no one is ever going to say "read this text, and then write me an essay on it without looking at it again"
louishill1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NO. It's just another example of how lazy people are. Being closed book provides a level playing field.

If it was open book the grade boundaries would skyrocket; plus I find it hilarious that all the current year 11s think it will happen for this year's exams.
(btw I'm in yr 11 now and don't find memorising quotes taxing)
existent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't have to memorise every line of poems: just important phrases. Make sure you have an understanding of what the poem's actually about, though.

Likewise, for prose and drama texts.

As I said before, I think a mixture would be fair (perhaps poetry open book and prose and drama closed book) but this is the way things are, and that isn't going to change by June.
jaz2906
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the poetry section (at least) should be open book, I feel like I'm wasting my time learning quotations from all 15 when only 2 will be in the exam. As for the others, it would be nice and obviously a lot easier - probably why the petition got so many votes
Zahra_2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think we should at least get the poems. I agree that for the books it's much easier to remember the quotes than to go through the book in the exam but for poetry it isnt. Like how do they expect us to know the language, structure and form of 15 poems! The hardest part is the structure and form cuz u basically need to remember the the rhyme scheme and stuff without seeing the poem infront of u. Also u keep on confusing what u remember with which poem it is from for e.g you can't remember which one had the cyclical structure or the ABAB rhyme. Like it's kinda of impossible to remember that for 15 poems. When u have the poem infront of u you can see the structure and form this would make it much easier. If they don't do that then they should make less poems for us to remember (well it's too late for me cuz I'm in y11)Also I just don't see the point of memeorising everything, you could be rly good in literature but u suck at memory. Also how would remembering the quotes help us in the future where if u need to write an essay you could just take the book infront of u or search it up. This is just pointless.Anyways I doubt the parliament is going to do anything about it.
Lauren Mitchel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Can I ask if you’re actually in school right now? Becuase if you are then you will know that it’s not just a ‘few’ quotes, and it is ‘that’ difficult, especially when you have other subjects to focus on as well.
Nura16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by CharlieGeorge13)

Soooooo
That is true, it would make it easier BUTTT all the work you put in to remember it wouldn't matter and you would most likely forget the anaylsis for the quote so you wouldn't be able to embed it and get the top marks.
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
NO
1) Because i'm selfish
2) because its not going to affect us anyway
3) Its not hard. AT ALL. We memorise entire processes in Tech, ionic equations in Chemistry, methods/life cycles in Biology, events in history, formulas in Physics, QUOTES in RS...the list goes on. On the other hand you could argue that this is the reason why it should be open book, but in reality, its fairly simple to learn a quote, and by quote maybe even one word that you simply need to embed

God i'm getting sooo vexxed even though it won't affect us anyway :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.28%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.63%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.9%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.12%
No, I chose not to (166)
29.07%