The Student Room Group

Boyfriend uses me for money

I feel like I’m being used. My boyfriend will say to me eg: he’s paying for a car so needs money to buy a bag. So asks me for money for the bag because he doesn’t wanna spend more money as he’s already spending enough. This makes me so sad every time. I don’t like it. He’s then rude to me when I say no he’ll say anyways I’m going to sleep or something and not talk to me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like I’m being used. My boyfriend will say to me eg: he’s paying for a car so needs money to buy a bag. So asks me for money for the bag because he doesn’t wanna spend more money as he’s already spending enough. This makes me so sad every time. I don’t like it. He’s then rude to me when I say no he’ll say anyways I’m going to sleep or something and not talk to me

Get rid of him! He is clearly a gold-digger! Tell him if he wants something he has to get it himself. He chose to buy the car that is on him not you!
Reply 2
Has this been going on since the beginning of your relationship or recently? Has he always been tight with his money?
Reply 3
He does sound very tight with money and immature. Have you told him that it makes you unhappy?

You don't need to be around someone like that.
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
He does sound very tight with money and immature. Have you told him that it makes you unhappy?

You don't need to be around someone like that.

I really need help on what to say to him
Reply 5
Original post by Zelex
Has this been going on since the beginning of your relationship or recently? Has he always been tight with his money?

Should I tell my friends or not ?
Reply 6
I really need help on what to say to him

You tell him what you told us. Tell him that you feel that he's using you and aren't happy that he's always asking you for money. If he truly cares about you, he will stop.
Reply 7
Original post by UWS
You tell him what you told us. Tell him that you feel that he's using you and aren't happy that he's always asking you for money. If he truly cares about you, he will stop.

I’ve told him plenty of times
Reply 8

Dump him then.

How old is he?
The fact that he even asks you for money at all is seriously weird. He's not your husband. Even then, it would be a bit weird.
Reply 11
Should I tell my friends or not ?

I'm not sure what telling your friends would do. I gather the initial break up was largely to do with these financial issues, right? Yet, now you are back together, they are starting to creep up again. This doesn't sound like someone who cares.

I don't know enough about his upbringing/background. If he has grown up in a family where they were hardly making ends meet for example. This would naturally influence is behaviour, however I would still expect to see some type of appreciation from his part rather than a expectation from what you have typed.
You are not responsible for his finances - he is. If he can't afford a car and a bag then he has to choose one. Just say no and insist and if he keeps sulking about it then leave - you can't have a long term relationship with someone who behaves like this.
Nice guy... as a friend.
I'm sorry but I can't read this thread without thinking of the Kanye West song :laugh:
Reply 15
It would be sexist not to bend to his every whim.
As an adult, he should realise that he may not be able to afford absolutely everything he wants all at the same time, rather demanding that he wants this, or that, like a small child. Also, he wants a new bag, not "needs".
Don't give him money the fact that he thinks you should give him money is just bizarre just ditch him.

Dump him then, he clearly isn't gonna change.
Say no then!

what is it with so many girls always giving into their men. stop being so scared that you will lose them. say no or break up with them. don't spend your life giving in when you don't want to. better to be alone than be with someone who uses you.

Quick Reply

Latest