Access Course to Nursing TCAT

Watch
Maria.Sierra
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello All,

I'll be starting my access course at TCAT in September 2018. They have 2 options- Fulltime 2 days a week or Part-time 1 day a week.

I have 4 children, I'm a single parent and I work fulltime as a healthcare assistant.

Would fulltime be too much to handle? I only ask because I have bills to pay and can't afford not working unless there's a bit of help out there I don't know about.

Thanking you

Maria
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
emmanoodle
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MLaura.Sierra)
Hello All,

I'll be starting my access course at TCAT in September 2018. They have 2 options- Fulltime 2 days a week or Part-time 1 day a week.

I have 4 children, I'm a single parent and I work fulltime as a healthcare assistant.

Would fulltime be too much to handle? I only ask because I have bills to pay and can't afford not working unless there's a bit of help out there I don't know about.

Thanking you

Maria
My course is also classed as ‘full time’ but it’s 5 hours on a Monday, 3 hours on a Wednesday, 3 hours on a Friday. Of course there’s the work load of assignments and study/revision too. Not the same as 4 kids I know but I have 1 son and step daughter, I volunteer twice a week and work 3 shifts a week and it’s going well. There’s lots of parents on my access course - single parents, working parents etc. and they seem to be doing ok - we are all passing modules and no one has dropped out :-)

Depending on your household income situation you can get help with childcare and costs towards meals, printing etc.

If you can do part time for 2 years then maybe that would be best - or if like me you’re way too impatient (I feel like I’ve waited long enough!) then go for the full time! X
Maria.Sierra
Rep:
@emmanoodle- what subjects are included on the access course? Wondering if I can start reading some of them.

Thanks

M
emmanoodle
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MLaura.Sierra)
@emmanoodle- what subjects are included on the access course? Wondering if I can start reading some of them.

Thanks

M
I don’t know if it varies from college to college, I presume it does. We have lessons in health studies, human biology and study skills (also a module of maths for nursing, just basically putting maths into context). In health so far we have covered ethics and models of health. In human biology we’ve studied eukaryotic cells, homeostasis, nutrition and digestion, the nervous system (currently revising for an exam for this module!) and we’ve just started the circulatory and respiratory systems. I can’t remember all that’s to come but I believe it includes reproduction, skeletal system and parasites. Study skills is a while mix of things - it’s basically to help you get back into studying, time management and academic writing. I’d focus on this, as I don’t know what modules your college covers. Oh and we also do a research project that’s either health or biology.

If anything, I’d suggest getting a couple of Palgrave handbooks. I purchased 3 - The Mature Students Handbook, The Mature Students Guide to Writing and Writing for Nursing and Midwifery students

xx
Maria.Sierra
Rep:
emmanoodle- Thank you so much for the information.

M
Jennym1980
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi have you thought about doing your access course online, im doing mine through open college network as i also work full time and cant drop shifts to cover going to college. A couple of us at work (RSH) are doing it. Stonebridge college is who mine is with and another girls is through learn direct.

Im presuming TCAT means your from Telford, im in shrewsbury
Maria.Sierra
Rep:
Will 60 credit units through Stonebridge college be enough for university entrance though?
I know each university is different. I'll be attending Stafford university in Shrewsbury and their entry requirements are 112 credit units.
Thank you, I'll have a look.

M
Jennym1980
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah im hoping to do mine in shrewsbury too. Staffs have said that they do take the 60 credit access course from stonebridge as i checked before i started. Most access courses are 60 credits anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (66)
33.17%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.14%
No (52)
26.13%
I'm not sure (27)
13.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed