Annie Zhong
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, guys! I have an interview from EEE department on 7 February. Can anybody share some experience?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Annie Zhong)
Hi, guys! I have an interview from EEE department on 7 February. Can anybody share some experience?
Moved to the Imperial College forum
claralebbos
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whzn
claralebbos
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

When did you submit your application?
Annie Zhong
Rep:
?
(Original post by claralebbos)
When did you submit your application?
26 November
aanishpascal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Applied for EEE early October, attended interview 8th November, received offer 23rd November. This may be different to what you'll get but the way the day panned out for me was that I walked into the EEE building and I had go to a lecture room where we had to sit there on colour coded tables that we were assigned to sit at. Then it started off with a talk about the benefits of EEE and structure of the course. Now depending on which colour your table was, you'd either do the 1 to 1 formal interviews straight away or go for a tour in that 1 hour slot.

In my case, I had a tour first and formal interviews last. When it got to the interview, I was taken to a seperate office; it started off with him questioning my personal statement. He asked me what I personally think Artificial Intelligence is (I wrote on my personal statement that I'm writing an EPQ on this) and then 10 minutes in he asked me about Rasberry Pi (again, in my personal statement it said that I "built" a radio using Raspberry Pi using online tutorials).

So 20 minutes into the interview and all we've talked about is personal statements. In the final 10 minutes, he asks me a technical question; a quadcopter with 4 AA batteries hovers for 10 minutes, what would happen if we doubled the batteries. This question didn't really have a set answer, he kept changing it as it went on, just to see how I was thinking. I said "it would double the amount of energy so should double the flight time but it increases the weight of the copter too". So I just wrote flight time will be less than 20 minutes. I then messed up by using the kinetic energy equation, don't ask why, I was under pressure lmao he seemed to be put off when I started doing that. But in the end after he gave me some values to work with like mass of the copter and mass of the battery's and just became simple algebra, it was just an easy question and I got the "answer" in the end. Entire interview lasted 28 minutes according to his timer.

However when I got back the lecture room where all the applicants were sitting at their colour coordinated tables eating food, I asked people on my table how it went. Some people were way more unfortunate and were asked a lot harder questions, some even had 3 technical questions asked (2 maths, 1 physics based). Ranging from stuff about circuits and energy to sketching derivatives of certain functions.

In the end we just had a one hour talk about student finance, scholarships and accomodation. After that we were let go. I thought it went quite bad initially because I felt like I messed badly, didn't help that I couldn't read the interviewer, couldn't tell if he was annoyed at times.

Hope that helps! As long as you keep a level head and listen carefully and keep giving feedback and talk through your thought process, you'll do fine despite feeling like you've messed up. Also make sure you can talk about everything on your personal statement if you can't already.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought you were going to say you were predicted EEE and wanted to know your chances of an imperial interview.

My mistake.
Annie Zhong
Rep:
?
(Original post by aanishpascal)
Applied for EEE early October, attended interview 8th November, received offer 23rd November. This may be different to what you'll get but the way the day panned out for me was that I walked into the EEE building and I had go to a lecture room where we had to sit there on colour coded tables that we were assigned to sit at. Then it started off with a talk about the benefits of EEE and structure of the course. Now depending on which colour your table was, you'd either do the 1 to 1 formal interviews straight away or go for a tour in that 1 hour slot.

In my case, I had a tour first and formal interviews last. When it got to the interview, I was taken to a seperate office; it started off with him questioning my personal statement. He asked me what I personally think Artificial Intelligence is (I wrote on my personal statement that I'm writing an EPQ on this) and then 10 minutes in he asked me about Rasberry Pi (again, in my personal statement it said that I "built" a radio using Raspberry Pi using online tutorials).

So 20 minutes into the interview and all we've talked about is personal statements. In the final 10 minutes, he asks me a technical question; a quadcopter with 4 AA batteries hovers for 10 minutes, what would happen if we doubled the batteries. This question didn't really have a set answer, he kept changing it as it went on, just to see how I was thinking. I said "it would double the amount of energy so should double the flight time but it increases the weight of the copter too". So I just wrote flight time will be less than 20 minutes. I then messed up by using the kinetic energy equation, don't ask why, I was under pressure lmao he seemed to be put off when I started doing that. But in the end after he gave me some values to work with like mass of the copter and mass of the battery's and just became simple algebra, it was just an easy question and I got the "answer" in the end. Entire interview lasted 28 minutes according to his timer.

However when I got back the lecture room where all the applicants were sitting at their colour coordinated tables eating food, I asked people on my table how it went. Some people were way more unfortunate and were asked a lot harder questions, some even had 3 technical questions asked (2 maths, 1 physics based). Ranging from stuff about circuits and energy to sketching derivatives of certain functions.

In the end we just had a one hour talk about student finance, scholarships and accomodation. After that we were let go. I thought it went quite bad initially because I felt like I messed badly, didn't help that I couldn't read the interviewer, couldn't tell if he was annoyed at times.

Hope that helps! As long as you keep a level head and listen carefully and keep giving feedback and talk through your thought process, you'll do fine despite feeling like you've messed up. Also make sure you can talk about everything on your personal statement if you can't already.
Thank you for sharing your interview experience What's your final conditions?
aanishpascal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for sharing your interview experience What's your final conditions?
Somehow I ended up getting my offer to be AAA despite the prospectus saying EEE offers are usually A*AA-A*A*A and it is the 4 year MEng E&E Engineering course. Anyway good luck with the interview
emiliawhitehouse
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Do you think the 4 year course is less competitive than the 3 year course and you really got an offer for AAA? Were your predicted grades AAA?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed