The Student Room Group

NHS is in financial trouble.

Somethings on NHS currently free should be removed from provision as they are not used to treat an illness.

e.g Hearing AIDS
BREAST IMPLANTS.

ON THE OTHER HAND
Many medicines should be made available over the counter e.g Hey fever medications.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AB710344
Somethings on NHS currently free should be removed from provision as they are not used to treat an illness.

e.g Hearing AIDS
BREAST IMPLANTS.

ON THE OTHER HAND
Many medicines should be made available over the counter e.g Hey fever medications.

Most hayfever medications aren't prescribed and you can get them OTC
Reply 2

e.g Hearing AIDS
BREAST IMPLANTS.

ON THE OTHER HAND

Breast implants I agree with (didn't know they even were covered now). Hearing aids are to treat being partially deaf which can happen for various reasons. It's as much treating an illness as any other treatment aimed at the symptoms including strong painkillers and hay fever meds.

If the NHS wants to improve it's situation it needs to go a lot further than what meds they cover. They need to look at their entire system including things from taking back crutches to ensuring people aren't taking up time or beds if they don't need to be.
(edited 6 years ago)

e.g Hearing AIDS
BREAST IMPLANTS.

ON THE OTHER HAND

What's wrong with hearing aids?
Reply 4
okay after checking, "cosmetic" procedures like breast implants are rarely covered by the NHS. The sort of times they might be covered are when there's significant psychological issues connected or when it's causing physical issues (like breast reduction for when they are causing back pain). I believe that would also include women who have needed their breast removed due to cancer.
Seems reasonable to me.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
What's wrong with hearing aids?

When you have Financial difficulties one of the methods used to resolve the situation is to decrease expenditure.
So we could spend less by not providing hearing aids and itโ€™s batteries on the NHS.
Similarly breast reconstruction surgery uses breast implants which are very expensive and require many operations and changes. These could be stopped under NHS. So abolishing the new field of Oncoplastic Breast Surgery. This will save money without causing any ill effects on the health of the nation.
Reply 6
When you have Financial difficulties one of the methods used to resolve the situation is to decrease expenditure.
So we could spend less by not providing hearing aids and itโ€™s batteries on the NHS.
Similarly breast reconstruction surgery uses breast implants which are very expensive and require many operations and changes. These could be stopped under NHS. So abolishing the new field of Oncoplastic Breast Surgery. This will save money without causing any ill effects on the health of the nation.

So being half deaf isn't a health issue?
And you say hay fever tablets should be provided on the NHS? What makes that more important or legitimate as a health issue?
youโ€™re embarrassing yourself, calm down.
Original post by Kindred
So being half deaf isn't a health issue?
And you say hay fever tablets should be provided on the NHS? What makes that more important or legitimate as a health issue?

I said Hey Fevor treatment should be available over the counter. There are many other medicines that can be over the counter.
Original post by Kindred
okay after checking, "cosmetic" procedures like breast implants are rarely covered by the NHS. The sort of times they might be covered are when there's significant psychological issues connected or when it's causing physical issues (like breast reduction for when they are causing back pain). I believe that would also include women who have needed their breast removed due to cancer.
Seems reasonable to me.

Back in the good ol' days money would be saved by telling them to man the **** up, or even more likely not having a population full of fragile people.
Reply 10
isn't the problem essentially the increase in funding for the NHS hasn't been proportional to increase in population?
treatment for self inflicted complaints shouldn't be free, like alcohol/drug dependency related problems, obesity (if due to poor diet and lifestyle).

I also think that if e.g. you had an accident because you're drunk, you should contribute to your care and recovery.

We could spend less by not providing hearing aids. We could also spend less by not treating illnesses altogether. However that defeats the whole point of the NHS.

We need to decide what is necessary and what we can cut back on. No sane person would argue that hearing aids are unnecessary. Breast reconstruction surgery seems like an easy target but I recommend you get some figures on when it is provided on the NHS before continuing this argument.

The NHS isn't deliberately trying to waste money. They wouldn't provide something if it wasn't needed.
Original post by RuthieG101
treatment for self inflicted complaints shouldn't be free, like alcohol/drug dependency related problems, obesity (if due to poor diet and lifestyle).

I also think that if e.g. you had an accident because you're drunk, you should contribute to your care and recovery.

Do you not think its cheaper to provide support for obesity / dependency related problems before it leads to something major that the NHS has to treat (e.g liver/heart problems)?

Also, from a moral point of view people should be supported through their problems not abandoned. Everyone makes mistakes.
I said Hey Fevor treatment should be available over the counter. There are many other medicines that can be over the counter.

Sorry, misread that bit I guess. I would agree that there are a fair few more minor treatments that could be made OTC only (could even end up cheaper for individuals in some cases). Unfortunately that's still not going to fix the NHS. It may help, but it's quite difficult to say what is our isn't worthy of prescription when things vary from person to person. Right now I expect all the effort to sort out what should and shouldn't be prescription would just waste time and resources that should be spent on a more deep fix. That or it's just taking a lot of time to work thorough.
yes it would be cheaper to provide this support before things become a problem. a system which is already there in the way of health visitors and school nurses etc, but the current system doesn't work.

everyone makes mistakes but should the by a support you if you willingly continue to make those mistakes and pass those mistakes down to your children.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Back in the good ol' days money would be saved by telling them to man the **** up, or even more likely not having a population full of fragile people.

I think it's fair enough that if you've lost a boob to cancer or have some significant deformity you get it fixed. Sure it'd be great if people didn't feel feelings and could be cool with that sort of stuff, but that's not going to happen. Franky it's better than having deal with trying to clean up the mess of an attempted suicide.
Reply 17
Original post by JammieDodger27
Do you not think its cheaper to provide support for obesity / dependency related problems before it leads to something major that the NHS has to treat (e.g liver/heart problems)?

Also, from a moral point of view people should be supported through their problems not abandoned. Everyone makes mistakes.

Many situations where someone who gets drunk has an accident cannot be passed off as "everyone makes mistakes" eg drunk driving isn't a "everyone makes mistakes" situation.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'd agree the NHS needs to sort out things regarding efficiency and expenditure rather than simply just throwing more money at them, although more money would be nice too. I'm not sure just targeting random ops without collecting very detailed figures on them is a good idea tho.

Original post by Kindred

If the NHS wants to improve it's situation it needs to go a lot further than what meds they cover. They need to look at their entire system including things from taking back crutches to ensuring people aren't taking up time or beds if they don't need to be.

The sodding crutches omg, my dad's got 2 pairs of the bloody things after multiple operations. They just sort of chill in the house nowadays, not sure what we're supposed to use them for seeing as he's all good now.

>can't really hear stuff 'cause NHS won't provide hearing aid
>can't hear oncoming bus
>get floored by bus
>end up in A&E getting work done that costs the NHS a bomb in order to save your life
>saving the NHS tho rite
Original post by JammieDodger27
The NHS isn't deliberately trying to waste money. They wouldn't provide something if it wasn't needed.

LOL. You've clearly never actually used the NHS ๐Ÿ˜‚

Quick Reply

Latest