LaniRae
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi. I am writing my physics dissertation for my bachelors, and the max word count is 35,000 words, which I will never make. I have ADHD, and my working pace is slower than my peers. How much under the max word count is still reasonable?

I write every day, but 35,000 is like half the length of a book, and I don't feel I am getting anywhere. What would you say would be acceptable to get a decent grade, considering the max word count? There is no minimum word count. They say 40-70 pages, but it doesn't really line up with 35,000 words. That would be more like 120 pages.

(Yes, I know to ask my supervisor, but he never responds to my emails - pain in the a***, and when I email the course coordinator, she tells me to ask my supervisor. So yeah. Stuck. And stressed!)

My thesis is dissertation literature style, so not experimental or computational, so I suppose I have to write more.

(Bonus question: Do you think I would be okay to call my supervisor on the phone during his office hours? He tends to pick up his phone)
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If there's no minimum word count then it doesn't matter how much you write - just make sure that it's all relevant and you are happy with what you have written. Rather a 20,000 word dissertation thats straight to the point than a 35,000 one that's like pure waffle
HertsExRep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LaniRae)
Hi. I am writing my physics dissertation for my bachelors, and the max word count is 35,000 words, which I will never make. I have ADHD, and my working pace is slower than my peers. How much under the max word count is still reasonable?

I write every day, but 35,000 is like half the length of a book, and I don't feel I am getting anywhere. What would you say would be acceptable to get a decent grade, considering the max word count? There is no minimum word count. They say 40-70 pages, but it doesn't really line up with 35,000 words. That would be more like 120 pages.

(Yes, I know to ask my supervisor, but he never responds to my emails - pain in the a***, and when I email the course coordinator, she tells me to ask my supervisor. So yeah. Stuck. And stressed!)

My thesis is dissertation literature style, so not experimental or computational, so I suppose I have to write more.

(Bonus question: Do you think I would be okay to call my supervisor on the phone during his office hours? He tends to pick up his phone)
In my experience, for physics a given required page count is more important than the word count--the page count is considered a better level of assessment because in physics, you'll probably (hopefully?) have graphs and figures and tables to include that obviously provides information, but cannot be quantified by a word count.

Use the page count as your first guide, and try using other media to reach the page count, diversify your dissertation, and improve your paper.

Does your Uni have the 10% rule? I know many allow you to do +/-10% of the word count--so no more than 35,000+(10% of 35,000), but no less than 35,000-(10% of 35,000). I imagine that applying this to a page count is still applicable, and I would recommend that you really stick to thinking about a page count rather than a word count.

Finally, like iElvendork said, it will matter most that you write a dissertation with relevant content, rather than page or word-count filling waffle. Plenty of people I know were well under our page count minimum, and still made excellent grades--and besides, you say that 35,000 words/70 pages is the maximum. 'Maximum' is not interchangeable with 'requisite.' Stick to doing your best, check your module guide, and ask your supervisor when in doubt (yes, phoning him during office hours should be alright). If asking your supervisor doesn't work, speak to your course coordinator about the fact that your supervisor isn't being helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (46)
15.03%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (98)
32.03%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.42%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.5%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (78)
25.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
0.98%

Watched Threads