Retsek
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Name:  IMG_20180122_112130969-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 221
Size:  39.1 KB

The UTS is the max stress the material can withstand, how come the breaking point is at a lower stress? If you increase the tensile stress to the UTS point and then decrease it again, would it reach the breaking point? (Intuition tells me no)
kelefi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Take a note of the x axis!

UTS is at higher stress but lower strain, fracture can occur at lower stress because the strain is higher.
Retsek
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by kelefi)
Take a note of the x axis!

UTS is at higher stress but lower strain, fracture can occur at lower stress because the strain is higher.
And strain is the change in length / original length? So it needs to be extended more than it is at the UTS before it breaks?

This makes sense but wouldn't it need to have more stress to make it extend more to this point?

Or is it once it reaches this UTS, it will continue to extend under the same force until breaking point? In that case wouldn't it be a flat line from the UTS to the breaking point?
kelefi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
ahh yes,

essentially this is because (like in many cases, to make things easier to work with by hand) we only consider the original cross sectional area when finding stress.

If you incorporate how the material gets thinner as it stretches out, you'd get fracture at a higher point than UTS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (44)
15.07%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.53%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.33%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (25)
8.56%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.82%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.66%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.03%

Watched Threads