Conditional offer made unconditional if I make it a firm choice Watch

๖ۣۜEloise
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, I'm slightly confused, as the title of the topic says, I was offered a conditional offer from a university, however I was told in the same email, if I accept their offer they'd make it unconditional after 14 days. There was nothing in the attached Terms & Conditions about a time limit to make them a firm choice, so is this not the same as just an unconditional? Whats the difference between this and just saying unconditional as I'm confused, thanks!
marshalld67
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's their way of assuring your money. if you accept the offer in the next 2 weeks it will be unconditional. if not it becomes a standard conditional offer. there's no difference between this and a normal unconditional other than the time frame they're offering which I find is mad.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
kayleighisonfire
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your unconditional offer requires you to make them your firm choice (this is often difficult to get out of once you have accepted) the other type of unconditional offer is when it's unconditional but they do not need to be the applicants firm.
Loralite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ๖ۣۜEloise)
So, I'm slightly confused, as the title of the topic says, I was offered a conditional offer from a university, however I was told in the same email, if I accept their offer they'd make it unconditional after 14 days. There was nothing in the attached Terms & Conditions about a time limit to make them a firm choice, so is this not the same as just an unconditional? Whats the difference between this and just saying unconditional as I'm confused, thanks!
What's the exact phrasing? It probably means that if you put it as your firm before May deadline they'll amend it to unconditional within 14 days of you firming.
๖ۣۜEloise
Rep:
?
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
Your unconditional offer requires you to make them your firm choice (this is often difficult to get out of once you have accepted) the other type of unconditional offer is when it's unconditional but they do not need to be the applicants firm.
Thanks, that makes sense then.

(Original post by Loralite)
What's the exact phrasing? It probably means that if you put it as your firm before May deadline they'll amend it to unconditional within 14 days of you firming.
They said:
"I am delighted to inform you that we would like to make you a Conditional offer of a place on the above programme. Your formal offer will be displayed on your personalised UCAS Track page and there are instructions on how to accept your offer here. Furthermore, if you choose to make us your Firm choice, we will convert this offer to unconditional 14 days after you have chosen us as your Firm choice on UCAS Track. You can then concentrate on your remaining studies in the sure knowledge of where you will be studying next year."
kayleighisonfire
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

They said:
"I am delighted to inform you that we would like to make you a Conditional offer of a place on the above programme. Your formal offer will be displayed on your personalised UCAS Track page and there are instructions on how to accept your offer here. Furthermore, if you choose to make us your Firm choice, we will convert this offer to unconditional 14 days after you have chosen us as your Firm choice on UCAS Track. You can then concentrate on your remaining studies in the sure knowledge of where you will be studying next year."
So with your offer if you pick them as your firm choice (you will not get an insurance and it will automatically reject all of your other choice) you will be given an unconditional offer which means that it does not matter what grades you get you will still have a place on the course.

Congrats on the offer, what university is it?
celloel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
x
It just means once you get all of your offers back in May, if you decide this is the institution you want to attend and you firm it, your offer will not be dependent on your final grades.
Loralite
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

They said:
Yep, so it's if you firm them any time from now until the May deadline it'll become unconditional - congrats

If you do decide to just make sure that it'd be your firm choice even if you hadn't had the unconditional - it looks like a bit of a marketing ploy to me (from the last sentence) so make sure it's really what you want
sleepysunshine
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It means that if you choose them as your firm choice over the other unis, your offer will be unconditional rather than you having to get the grades required for a conditional offer. You can accept this whenever, the 14 day deadline is for them to update UCAS not for you to accept it
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have until May to decide on your Firm/Insurance choices. Don't rush to decide, and don't Firm an offer just because it will become unconditional.

Only Firm a choice that you really want to go to, and if you would have firmed it anyway without the marketing carrot (aka bribe) of an unconditional. These offers are in the interests of the university (i.e. they want your money) not the student.
๖ۣۜEloise
Rep:
?
(Original post by kayleighisonfire)
So with your offer if you pick them as your firm choice (you will not get an insurance and it will automatically reject all of your other choice) you will be given an unconditional offer which means that it does not matter what grades you get you will still have a place on the course.

Congrats on the offer, what university is it?
Its to Staffordshire University for game art

--

(Original post by Loralite)
Yep, so it's if you firm them any time from now until the May deadline it'll become unconditional - congrats

If you do decide to just make sure that it'd be your firm choice even if you hadn't had the unconditional - it looks like a bit of a marketing ploy to me (from the last sentence) so make sure it's really what you want
A very valid ploy though indeed lol

--

(Original post by Doonesbury)
You have until May to decide on your Firm/Insurance choices. Don't rush to decide, and don't Firm an offer just because it will become unconditional.

Only Firm a choice that you really want to go to, and if you would have firmed it anyway without the marketing carrot (aka bribe) of an unconditional. These offers are in the interests of the university (i.e. they want your money) not the student.
Yeah, its not my first choice but I just wanted to check that this could work as a safety option in case none of my other universities want me xD
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
its tempting, but dont firm it too fast. i had the same kind of offer from birmingham and i was deadset on going there bc i was 100% convinced i wasnt gonna get the grades to go to my actual first choice uni. but then i went on an open day and decided real fast to set my ambitions higher lmao
Doonesbury
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah, its not my first choice but I just wanted to check that this could work as a safety option in case none of my other universities want me xD
Wait until May. Then decide
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Material Futures Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Feb '19
  • University of Brighton
    Health and clinical practice + health professions + hospitality, tourism and events + journalism + sport and exercise Postgraduate
    Tue, 26 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (94)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (67)
10.58%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.53%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (16)
2.53%
No (440)
69.51%

Watched Threads