The Student Room Group

Are you really expected to know what career you want by 15 years old?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _NMcC_
Yes, you are expected to know and I agree it's insane. Welcome to capitalism.

Yes, welcome to capitalism, the awful system where you have a choice in what you want to do in life.

Back in good old communism the lottery system will determine your future at the age of 10, where families will be delighted to know if their child has won the raffle to be trained to become a doctor or whether they're being sent down to the coal mines with the rest of the family. Those were the good times of economic preplanning, rather than the cluster**** of uncertainty we have today.

*speaking from the background of the communist eastern bloc

**note: it's always funny how those who advocate against capitalism and (presumably) for communism, envisage themselves to be party members destined for a life of nomenklatura/politics and public policy, as they are too important to be sent down to the mines or the local kolkhoz.
Every year I think I know what I want to do and every year it changes. From Engineering to physics, to chemistry, to maths.
Original post by _NMcC_
Yes, you are expected to know and I agree it's insane. Welcome to capitalism.

I'm 20, currently studying Chemistry. Still not entirely sure if I want to go into research or something else.
I have to actually make that decision pretty soon.

Pro tip. At your age, just decide If you want to go into the Arts and humanities or STEM. Be as vague as you want to be, just decide between those to areas and you can choose your A levels.

Pretty much summed it up really well. It's just how the system goes, you get sorted into 'careers for life' even when you have no idea and might be struggling
Original post by kayleighisonfire
College shouldn't just be a stepping stone in education for young people though. At my university we have a lady who is in her mid 50's on my course and she brings so much to the classroom that I believe it will be beneficial for more mature students to attend a college if they want a career change. Not just for the students there but for the person themselves.

I disagree, you can change careers. It won't be easy but it is definitely doable as long as you have transferrable skills

I take my hat off to your lady. Unfortunately just not enough people have the courage and the confidence to do what she's doing that it's seen as normal and encouraging.

And that's the problem. Yes it's possible if I work as a musician I can become a music teacher at a school, or if I build houses I could become an architect. But what if I wanted to go from being a vet to a pilot, or from being an accountant to a stunt double? What transferable skills do I have then?
Yes, we are expected.

I'm 15 and don't really see the issue? Most of the people in my year have ideas/plans about what they want to do, even if they're only vague.

Many skills and subjects are transferrable anyway.
Reply 25
Original post by LostAccount
Yes, welcome to capitalism, the awful system where you have a choice in what you want to do in life.

Back in good old communism the lottery system will determine your future at the age of 10, where families will be delighted to know if their child has won the raffle to be trained to become a doctor or whether they're being sent down to the coal mines with the rest of the family. Those were the good times of economic preplanning, rather than the cluster**** of uncertainty we have today.

*speaking from the background of the communist eastern bloc

**note: it's always funny how those who advocate against capitalism and (presumably) for communism, envisage themselves to be party members destined for a life of nomenklatura/politics and public policy, as they are too important to be sent down to the mines or the local kolkhoz.

I never said communism was good. Don't jump to conclusions.
However it's existence still doesn't make capitalism good. What's your point?

I think people aren't given enough time under this educational system to decide what they wish to do. A lot of people end up being thrown into subjects they don't like, then having to repeat and waste more time.

This capitalist system constantly needs workers which is why people are churned through education fast enough. So I feel it's debatable how much of a choice you really get in deciding your career.

A government funded year where people don't do any studying but trying out e.g 10 different jobs for e.g 1 month at a time. I think would be hugely beneficial for both people and the economy. I got one placement week. Wasn't bad but I didn't have anything to compare the Job to. Didn't get an awful lot out of it.

Of course, westminster probably wouldn't fund that sort of thing if they can't even fund the NHS properly...
(edited 6 years ago)
I think the pressure for young people is ridiculous, at 26 some of my friends still don't know what they want to go into.

I knew I wanted to be a vet at 15 but wasn't sure how to go about it. School tried to put us off, said it was too competitive and advised that I do the wrong (unnecessary Physics and Maths) A Levels so I struggled at AS, switched to Business next year and got an A. At the same time I was getting loads of work experience which confirmed it was definitely what I wanted to do and wasn't letting go of the dream.

I subsequently did a more broad Animal Science degree which opened doors to jobs but I couldn't let go of the vet thing so I chose to do post-grad veterinary and next year I should qualify as a vet!
Doing it this was round has been way more expensive as I don't get a Student Loan but I wouldn't change it for the world and always have my degree to fall back on.
Original post by J-SP
There is no expectation to know by the time you are 15.

There was at my school and if you had no idea they pretty much had a go at you, I remember what a waste of time seeing a career advisor was, it were no help to me.
Reply 28
well, at 14 you're already meant to know which subjects you want to take for GCSE which influences the rest of your life since it can limit your a levels or type of further education and therefore which degrees you can take. At 15/16 you are to choose your A level choices which can affect what kind of degree you are able to get. I'm 16 and I already have a general idea of what I want to do. It is ridiculous that 15 year olds are expected to know what they want to do with their lives yet they can't vote, drink or sleep with someone.
Reply 29
Original post by J-SP
That's just not true. Anyone can choose to take additional GCSEs if they did choose a different path at a later stage. Same with retaking other subjects and courses.

In the vast majority of cases, even your degree doesn't impact your career route, so thinking your GCSEs do is crazy.

is that so? It's just one of the many pieces of crap we're force fed in school.
Original post by J-SP
Then your school was run by idiots.

Just because someone else has expectations (e.g. school or parent) doesn't mean that in reality you are expected to know what you will do career wise.

There is a difference between following your interests and strengths by choosing subjects and courses, and deciding on a future career. Its estimated the average person will have 7 different careers in their lifetime. Add in that the job market has changed significantly, and someone who is 15 now and deciding on a career path may find their job doesn't exist in another 15 years time. Trying to force a 15 year old into making any form of career decision is ridiculously stupid.

You ain't wrong there, it actually closed down 3 years after I left.
No. At 15 you have essentially no experience of the workplace so it's extremely difficult to make a decision on what you want to do. Of course, some people will have a pretty firm idea of where they want to go, but most are probably quite lucky if they even have a general idea.
I wanna join team ten when im older.
I knew what I wanted to do when I was 11 years old.

I recently got into Mensa, won silver in UKMT, just joined secondary school, somewhat adjusted to the loud (ratchet) atmosphere and I was getting 64/64 in "in-school" maths tests.

Life was great in 2013.

On the 9th September 2013 - an alumni of one of the boys schools connected to our school who would then go on to compete in University challenge [Bobby Seagull] taught my class [set 1] maths and it was basic expanding brackets, which I found hard then

After he talked about how he got into Cambridge, went to Eton College and came from the same area as me - he wanted to do Engineering but felt compelled to 'teach' maths to students in East London.

His older brother was an engineer also educated at Eton and he went to Oxford.

So essentially they came from the most deprived area of the UK (Newham) to a top university because they both really liked maths and more importantly, they are brilliant at it.

So yeah, I realized Maths opened doors and it became "my" subject.

I can't apply to Eton but I applied to Westminster and got in!

Now I'm somewhat almost there - I am going to study Engineering/Maths at Kings College Cambridge in 2020 and I'd have known this for 7 years.
I'm 20 and have managed to keep the same career ambition since I was 19 which must be a record for me!
Reply 35
Original post by erratic_deus
Now I'm somewhat almost there - I am going to study Engineering/Maths at Kings College Cambridge in 2020 and I'd have known this for 7 years.

I'll be watching this with interest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tootles
I thought I had it down at 15. And at 17. And at 21. And at 24. It wasn't until I was 25 that I realized I was flogging a dead horse and shifted into something different.

You always wanted to be the sales manager for a knacker's yard?
Original post by nulli tertius
You always wanted to be the sales manager for a knacker's yard?
Absolutely.
Original post by Rock Fan
I know some people have an idea what they want by say 15/16 years old but just something I remember from my time at school in year 11 we were made to see a career's advisor who came into school and it was like we were expected to know what we wanted to do career wise by then. I mean my argument is, should we know what we want to do by 15 because years later I still didn't know what I wanted, all I wanted to do was travel etc

Also is there too much pressure put on us to decide what we want to do?

This is good question. It's possible to roughly divide students into four quadrants:

1. Those who know what career they want and succeed.

2. Those who know what career they want and do not succeed.

3. Those who do not know what career they want but find something they succeed in.

4. Those who do not know what career they want and do not succeed in anything.

Original post by shawn_o1
Those who have their career plans sorted by age 15, well, they'll come across their fair share of support and cynicism.
Those without a career plan, they'll be suggested one based on their best performing subject in school. If they don't have a subject they're good at, they can expect little to no support from teachers and peers.

What about students who have skills and talents which are not school subjects? For example, I had knowledge and experience of computer programming but it wasn't a school subject at the time because schools taught ICT rather than computer science. I found ICT to be a pointless waste of time only fit for kids on the wrong side of the digital divide.
It doesnt matter if you know what you want to do at that age or not. GCSE upward should be about studying what you enjoy especially at uni seeing how youll be doing for at least 3 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending