How do I approach AQA Paper 1, section C question? Watch

germaineconroy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
We've only done one of these questions so far and no one in the class did exceptionally well. I understand that it's a hard question bringing in not only two texts but three and that the jump from GCSE to A level, for Eng Lit is insane. If anyone has any tips of how to approach/ structure this question, they would be greatly appreciated!

We're doing AQA English Literature A A-level and the question for the next essay is: 'Compare how authors of one prose text and two poems present barriers to love'

I'm not looking for ideas for that necessarily but if anyone is also studying/ has studied The Great Gatsby and Pre 1900 poetry and have some ideas, feel free to chip in

Thanks in advance.
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did this question a few months ago - with Atonement and pre-1900 poetry. Here is a plan of how I structured mine which you can use - I use this for all the poetry comparisons and it works really well:

Introduction: State your argument - for this question I talked about the different barriers to love presented in each text and which is the most significant. You can also bring in context here. For instance, if you use religion as a barrier to love then you could say it is more significant in an older text due to the culture of the time.

Para 1-3: Take 1 'barrier to love' from your novel so that could be like money, class, resistance etc. and then analyse something textual from it. Compare this with a poem that also shows this barrier to love - compare how they present it, whether it is more important in one text or another and why. In each paragraph I always try to get at least AO3, AO4 or AO5 in. So, you could put some context in, compare it to another text of wider reading you have read or put in a piece of literary criticism or an alternative view point - or all three! Then repeat this structure 2 more times.

Conclusion: Sum up what you have written, refer back to the question and to your argument.

Hope this helps X
germaineconroy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you so much! I'm going to write it using this as a base this morning. I was planning on doing religion as a barrier to love using Blake's The Garden of Love, so using what you said, I'm going to attempt to put the context in the beginning too.

Thanks again x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads