AQA GCSE 9-1 science grade boundaries

Watch
Slothqueen
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Anyone have any predictions for the aqa gcse biology, chemistry and physics papers this year?

I sat my gcse's in 2016, but i need to sit gcse science again to achieve grades AAB or ABB. So i am clueless to what these exams will be like.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Slothqueen)
Anyone have any predictions for the aqa gcse biology, chemistry and physics papers this year?

I sat my gcse's in 2016, but i need to sit gcse science again to achieve grades AAB or ABB. So i am clueless to what these exams will be like.
No idea if they were 9-1 then. I suggest you get some decent revision books for 9-1. They will likely list grade boundaries for last year in the site as well as the spec and mark schemes. Im assuming it wasnt 9-1 when you sat it?
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
No they weren’t 9-1 exams when i sat them. I’ve only sat the new 9-1 maths exam
danyy2121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My school got the pixel grade boundaries back and all Ik for the combined science I got 86 out 240 and I got a grade 5
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by danyy2121)
My school got the pixel grade boundaries back and all Ik for the combined science I got 86 out 240 and I got a grade 5
Ah im not doing the combined science but thanks!
pastel.roses
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Triple right? By the looks of it it's gonna be hell - whilst in the older exams I believe you were given any formulae you needed, you have to memorise it all now (kill me)
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by pastel.roses)
Triple right? By the looks of it it's gonna be hell - whilst in the older exams I believe you were given any formulae you needed, you have to memorise it all now (kill me)
I get given a formulae sheet? But im doing biology chemistry and physics as seperate gcse’s. As i already did my science gcse’s in 2016. I just wanted more qualifications in it
pastel.roses
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I get given a formulae sheet? But im doing biology chemistry and physics as seperate gcse’s. As i already did my science gcse’s in 2016. I just wanted more qualifications in it
Yeahhh but what I mean is that you're only given a few that (from my experience of specimen papers and past papers) rarely come up - most you have to memorise
Shivaay
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My guess would be that the grade boundaries should be in line with the maths grade boundaries last year ( percentage wise), so around 75-80% should be a 9. Obviously, this isn’t a guarantee as boundaries are set once everything is marked, however it is a new spec and most of the country is doing pretty crap to be honest. Another thing is that the higher paper awards 7 Grades so content across 7 Grades must be spread across 100 Marks. This is why maths saw only around 20-25% to get a 4.
x_datboi_x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the grade boundaries will be low this year as it is a new exam
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shivaay)
My guess would be that the grade boundaries should be in line with the maths grade boundaries last year ( percentage wise), so around 75-80% should be a 9. Obviously, this isn’t a guarantee as boundaries are set once everything is marked, however it is a new spec and most of the country is doing pretty crap to be honest. Another thing is that the higher paper awards 7 Grades so content across 7 Grades must be spread across 100 Marks. This is why maths saw only around 20-25% to get a 4.
Wow I didn’t know it was only 20-25% that got a grade 4! That’s so bad
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Here_comedatboi)
the grade boundaries will be low this year as it is a new exam
Hoping so, thank you!
Shivaay
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow I didn’t know it was only 20-25% that got a grade 4! That’s so bad
Oh no, around 70% of students got a 4 but it was 20-25% out of 80 Marks per paper required to get a 4
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shivaay)
Oh no, around 70% of students got a 4 but it was 20-25% out of 80 Marks per paper required to get a 4
Oh sorry, misunderstood! Hopefully its that low for the sciences so i at least have a chance of getting a grade 6 for all 3 sciences, because i haven't done gcse science for 2 years so i'm actually so nervous.
Xedmily
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My physics teacher said probably around 33% for a 4
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by pastel.roses)
Yeahhh but what I mean is that you're only given a few that (from my experience of specimen papers and past papers) rarely come up - most you have to memorise
oh right yeah, i gathered that
Slothqueen
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xedmily)
That isn't a bad percentage at all then , thanks!
shashwattomar12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This question is specific to AQA GCSE Physics, Chemistry, Biology(separate sciences)

My question is wether the exam board uses the specification to make mark schemes.

For eg. if in the spec, a predator is defined to be:-

"Consumers that hunt and kill other animals are called predators"

Will it be the exact same in the mark scheme?
s4rah19
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Xedmily)
Is that 33% across the 6 papers (70 marks for each paper so that would work out as 23.1 right answers on each paper for a grade 4 pass?)
RobynAbby
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve heard two schools say that 35% is a 5 in physics higher tier separates which sounds good but it’s probably going to be really hard!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (34)
16.83%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (60)
29.7%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (77)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.87%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.48%

Watched Threads