The Student Room Group

Any FY doctors in North East Scotland deanery?

I’m leaning towards choosing the north east Scotland deanery as my top choice for my FPAS application (for personal reason), specifically trying to stay in Aberdeen for both years. Having never been a student there, it would be great to hear experiences of working at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary as a junior! In terms of workload, support, and general life too. Anyone with experience? Thanks!
Reply 1
How unusual. I'm working in ARI right now, also not having studied there

Honestly the job and hospital are great in my opinion. Everyone has been very friendly overall and I wouldn't say I've had any bad experiences

I don't know if you know Aberdeen as a city, but I'm not the biggest fan personally. It's fine but doesn't thrill me. The surrounding countryside is amazing though, if you're into that kind of thing. And the people are great

My main advice would be to avoid having surgery first, especially gen surg or orthopaedics. They're manageable jobs but definitely overwhelming as a first placement. I had acute med first and would recommend that any day of the week. Have also heard good things about infectious diseases and paed surg as having good teams and not too stressful. Oh, and I'd avoid Woodend if you can because everyone says it's boring

Also I know you said you wanted to stay in Aberdeen for the full 2 years, but don't be afraid of the 4 months away placements. 4 months out of 2 years isn't very much. Most people have a great time and make close new friends. Everyone I know who has been to Fort William in particular loved it. They also do medicine quite differently sometimes in those rural placements so it makes you a more rounded doctor

Any specific Qs I'd be happy to answer
Reply 2
That is great, thank you for the information. The countryside around Aberdeen is a big positive for me.
I’ve visited the city a couple of times before and it didn’t give me a bad impression, I guess there are good bad bad areas like everywhere else. Are there specific areas where people tend to live?
It’s good to hear that the job itself is ok and the hospitals too. Obviously it depends on specific jobs, but do you think new FYs are fairly well supported/ as in, with not having to stay super late often/ working crazy hours on a regular basis?
Thanks!
Reply 3
That is great, thank you for the information. The countryside around Aberdeen is a big positive for me.
I’ve visited the city a couple of times before and it didn’t give me a bad impression, I guess there are good bad bad areas like everywhere else. Are there specific areas where people tend to live?
It’s good to hear that the job itself is ok and the hospitals too. Obviously it depends on specific jobs, but do you think new FYs are fairly well supported/ as in, with not having to stay super late often/ working crazy hours on a regular basis?
Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks!

Oh not a bad impression by any means. And I haven't come across any particularly bad neighbourhoods. It's more that the city as it is today is mostly build off the back of the oil and gas industry, so most of the development is very modern. And that just leads it to being a little culturally flat and lacking in character to my taste.

Almost everyone lives in Rosemount, which is the area between the hospital and the city centre. It is quite well located in that you could walk to either in 20mins. I don't live there myself though so don't know specifics

Certainly in the departments I've working in/heard about there is a decent culture of seniors encouraging people to go home on time. If you stay later than 30mins people will ask if you're going home soon, and later than 1hour they will start telling you to just leave. At least that has been my experience.

Support depends very much on the department. Which is why I would recommend acute medicine - the department is incredibly well-supported, with registrars and consultants available for advice at any time of day and you will never be left alone. Surgery is different, which is why I would recommend against it first. The registrars and consultants all go to theatre and you are left managing the ward with other juniors. Exception is paeds surgery because you are not expected to know much paediatrics, and they are more protective of their patients.

Quick Reply

Latest