Application statistics ??

Watch this thread
gomgossa
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, so I was emailed by my college about a really expensive medicine/ dentistry/ veterinary preparation course (over £2000)- whilst there is absolutely no way I’d ever do it, I looked on the website and came across a kind of shocking statistic:

‘Last year over 80% of our medical summer school students had at least 1 offer, compared to the national average which is around 10%.’

I know correlation does not mean causation- the people who could afford this likely had better opportunities open to them to allow for an offer. But anyway- the 10% nationwide receiving one offer ?? I thought it was around 40% lolll ? Is the website just spreading false information to get people to dish out money? If this is the case, well... it just seems really awful to use that to scare people.

Does anyone have any stats for competition ratios ?

Thanks !
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gomgossa)
Is the website just spreading false information to get people to dish out money? If this is the case, well... it just seems really awful to use that to scare people.
You are right that its closer to 40% and yes, you could cynically view it as just trying to scare people. Alternatively its just a mistake.

TSR compiles stats here, although its a little out of date now.

I have emailed them and said that if they don't take it down by the end of the week i will report them to advertising standards.
gomgossa
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
You are right that its closer to 40% and yes, you could cynically view it as just trying to scare people. Alternatively its just a mistake.

TSR compiles stats here, although its a little out of date now.

I have emailed them and said that if they don't take it down by the end of the week i will report them to advertising standards.
Thanks.
I think I might email them, too. It’s ‘medic mentor summer schools’ btw but I assume you’ve already found that out if you’ve emailed.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Thanks.
I think I might email them, too. It’s ‘medic mentor summer schools’ btw but I assume you’ve already found that out if you’ve emailed.
Sure go for it. I went for the admin email address - you could pick another e.g. 'president' if you wanted to get maximum impact.
UKCATrocks
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hi, so I was emailed by my college about a really expensive medicine/ dentistry/ veterinary preparation course (over £2000)- whilst there is absolutely no way I’d ever do it, I looked on the website and came across a kind of shocking statistic:

‘Last year over 80% of our medical summer school students had at least 1 offer, compared to the national average which is around 10%.’

I know correlation does not mean causation- the people who could afford this likely had better opportunities open to them to allow for an offer. But anyway- the 10% nationwide receiving one offer ?? I thought it was around 40% lolll ? Is the website just spreading false information to get people to dish out money? If this is the case, well... it just seems really awful to use that to scare people.

Does anyone have any stats for competition ratios ?

Thanks !
I think there are a few things going on:

1 - They are probably making it up

2 - They might be selecting the students that are likely to get them the best results

3 - I would guess that most summer schools are attended by people coming from afar and can afford it

4 - The main cause of failure to get into medical school is choosing the wrong med school in my opinion. People look at stats and look at prestige but fail to apply to schools that suit their learning style. So for example, let's say you are a very academic person. You may do well in Oxbridge, Kings etc but you might fare badly in the Peninsula process. So if you apply to schools which don't think like you do, you probably get rejected straight away with your personal statement and then even if you go to an interview, they can see you won't fit. So, perhaps those schools are better at advising people as where they should apply.

Just a thought...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads