Turn on thread page Beta

Music Production Challenge: January Edition watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi everyone,

Today marks the start of a new year-long project here in TSR's Music subforum. Each month I will be setting a challenge where you, dear readers, are invited to produce a piece of music based on a very short brief and beyond that, your creativity is the limit. All instruments and genres are welcome here and this is not a competitive activity, so you don't need to be Steve Vai or Jeff Porcaro to take part!

When you've produced your piece of music, please share it in this thread and tell us what you've done and everything interesting about your art and people can give constructive feedback on it. Videos are cool, but just uploading your work to Soundcloud is totally fine.

This month's theme is very simple: Cover versions, but in any style you like.

As always, the theme is up to you to interpret as you see fit.

Happy music-ing!

PS: If you don't know where to start, check out the Music Production Guide!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And to get the ball rolling, here's my version of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill:

https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/solsbury-hill

This is one of my all time favourite PG tracks. I changed up the instrumentation slightly (making use of my electric mandolin for the melody), and this is specifically based on his performance in Manchester in 2013 (where I saw him!) so some of the vocal rhythms are a bit different to the original version, and the end is extended for longer.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Manitude)
    And to get the ball rolling, here's my version of Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill:

https://soundcloud.com/roscoe-1/solsbury-hill

This is one of my all time favourite PG tracks. I changed up the instrumentation slightly (making use of my electric mandolin for the melody), and this is specifically based on his performance in Manchester in 2013 (where I saw him!) so some of the vocal rhythms are a bit different to the original version, and the end is extended for longer.
    Great stuff. :coma:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Exciting! :woo:
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I love this idea!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Exciting! :woo:
    do saxophone :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Nice idea. I might be tempted if I could be bothered rooting out my Line6 USB interface. I might get to it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Nice idea. I might be tempted if I could be bothered rooting out my Line6 USB interface. I might get to it.
    Go for it

ReputationRep:
    Watching this spot as a reminder for me to finish my thing. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid my musical ability doesn't extend beyond the triangle, at present.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'm gonna get it done in time for the end of January, so I'm just gonna share something I did last year I'm super proud of #cheatingthesystem
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    I don't think I'm gonna get it done in time for the end of January, so I'm just gonna share something I did last year I'm super proud of #cheatingthesystem
    :daydreaming: Gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    :daydreaming: Gorgeous.
    You flatter me, good sir. :blushing:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Posting to remind myself to have a crack at this. But what to cover...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Brilliant! Great job. Don't worry too much about using an old track this month as the themes over the coming months are fairly specific at times, so it's unlikely you'll be able to use older stuff every month!

ReputationRep:
    Damn! Seriously nice work!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, this reminded me of a track I forgot about that I recorded a fair while back now. It's a cover of a cover of Teenage Kicks. Hope you guys like it

https://soundcloud.com/georgejones94/teenage-kicks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GeoJones94)
    Hey guys, this reminded me of a track I forgot about that I recorded a fair while back now. It's a cover of a cover of Teenage Kicks. Hope you guys like it

https://soundcloud.com/georgejones94/teenage-kicks
    Great stuff! I really enjoyed the clear tone for the acoustic guitar. I've yet to get a recorded sound I'm really happy with, even though the guitar sounds gorgeous in person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Great stuff! I really enjoyed the clear tone for the acoustic guitar. I've yet to get a recorded sound I'm really happy with, even though the guitar sounds gorgeous in person.
    Thanks a lot for taking a listen! Yeah it's tough to get a nice acoustic guitar sound. Thankfully for this I had a great guitarist, a decent room and two decent mics (414's, which sound amazing on anything) along with decent pre amps and then the processing that followed. I doubt i'd ever be able to achieve this sound in my own room with my own mics haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GeoJones94)
    Thanks a lot for taking a listen! Yeah it's tough to get a nice acoustic guitar sound. Thankfully for this I had a great guitarist, a decent room and two decent mics (414's, which sound amazing on anything) along with decent pre amps and then the processing that followed. I doubt i'd ever be able to achieve this sound in my own room with my own mics haha
    Ah I see, yeah those 414s are pretty expensive if you're on about the AKG ones that are like £750 each. I only have one microphone so I've not been able to play with one at the soundhole and and one at the neck, which I understand is the standard way of doing it? I normally just plug the guitar into my interface and use that, but it sounds like it's being played through a wall!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.