Aerospace Engineering at Bristol vs. Mechatronics and Robotics at Leeds

Watch
Chris_98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

I am in a bit of dilemma and would appreciate any help and information regarding these two choices. This is a bit of a long one. Bit of back story: I initially applied to do Aerospace Engineering on UCAS, with Leeds or Bristol being my top choice. I received an offer to do Aerospace at Bristol, but was offered to do Mechatronics at Leeds.

Now, it may seem obvious that I should choose Bristol, but having done as much research into Mechatronics and Robotics, I can see myself doing this degree. The course seems very interesting; there are a lot of projects and with Mechatronics being multidisciplinary, I would cover mechanical, electrical and computer engineering, which could be seen as an advantage in getting a job?

I've been to both cities and unis and love them both, so for me, choosing the course is the problem. I've drawn up pros and cons lists for both degrees and it still hasn't helped with me with making my decision lol.

Mechatronics pros are that I can go into a range of different sectors, such as Aerospace, and as our society is becoming more automated, this degree could be "future-proof", but the cons are because it is niche, I'm not sure how employable I would be at the end, as statistics for a degree like this are hard to find. I would say that Aerospace is quite a safe degree to go with, and I do like the course, but robotics and control engineering sounds good too.

Also, which uni do you think is better for engineering? Bristol or Leeds? I've heard great things from both.

Any help with regard to this is appreciated!

Thank you!
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bristol's Aerospace course has a good amount of control content (the discipline under which mechatronics and robotics falls) and it's also very strong in robotics. So you could end up in an even better position by doing a BEng in Aerospace at Bristol then moving to an MSc in Robotics there afterwards.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Chris_98)
Hi!

I am in a bit of dilemma and would appreciate any help and information regarding these two choices. This is a bit of a long one. Bit of back story: I initially applied to do Aerospace Engineering on UCAS, with Leeds or Bristol being my top choice. I received an offer to do Aerospace at Bristol, but was offered to do Mechatronics at Leeds.

Now, it may seem obvious that I should choose Bristol, but having done as much research into Mechatronics and Robotics, I can see myself doing this degree. The course seems very interesting; there are a lot of projects and with Mechatronics being multidisciplinary, I would cover mechanical, electrical and computer engineering, which could be seen as an advantage in getting a job?

I've been to both cities and unis and love them both, so for me, choosing the course is the problem. I've drawn up pros and cons lists for both degrees and it still hasn't helped with me with making my decision lol.

Mechatronics pros are that I can go into a range of different sectors, such as Aerospace, and as our society is becoming more automated, this degree could be "future-proof", but the cons are because it is niche, I'm not sure how employable I would be at the end, as statistics for a degree like this are hard to find. I would say that Aerospace is quite a safe degree to go with, and I do like the course, but robotics and control engineering sounds good too.

Also, which uni do you think is better for engineering? Bristol or Leeds? I've heard great things from both.

Any help with regard to this is appreciated!

Thank you!
The Leeds course was in Clearing last year. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Bristol would usually be the stronger choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (72)
66.06%
I don't have everything I need (37)
33.94%

Watched Threads