2018 Thinking of dropping out of Uni Watch

elmstone1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Currently halfway through my 1st Year as an undergraduate and I am thinking of dropping out of uni. My biggest issue is homesickness and depression, I have been seeing a therapist since I started in 2017 which hasn't really helped as I am still crying and feeling depressed on a regular basis. I have joined societies and sports clubs to pass the time but nothing I do seems to work, I come from a close knit family which call me most nights and thats what seems to keep me going. I am basically deciding whether to drop out by the mid-February as my therapists says that I have given uni a good chance.

Just looking for advice on what I should do??
Undec
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You have money and a suitable carter path if you drop out and money loaded parents go for it
If not then suck it up and survive the 3 years and then have a degree and then don’t worry when applying for any job
ticketsplease
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Stick it out until the summer and THEN see how you feel. You'll have completed a whole year and feel so proud for it. I'm second year and I can't tell you how many times I have thought of leaving.
lowtestbeta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by elmstone1)
Currently halfway through my 1st Year as an undergraduate and I am thinking of dropping out of uni. My biggest issue is homesickness and depression, I have been seeing a therapist since I started in 2017 which hasn't really helped as I am still crying and feeling depressed on a regular basis. I have joined societies and sports clubs to pass the time but nothing I do seems to work, I come from a close knit family which call me most nights and thats what seems to keep me going. I am basically deciding whether to drop out by the mid-February as my therapists says that I have given uni a good chance.

Just looking for advice on what I should do??
could you finish this year then transfer unis so you can be closer? if u don't like the course I would drop out
if you're having a trouble passing the time videogames work a treat
elmstone1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ticketsplease)
Stick it out until the summer and THEN see how you feel. You'll have completed a whole year and feel so proud for it. I'm second year and I can't tell you how many times I have thought of leaving.
Does it get any easier when you start second year, as I don't think at my current level it is sustainable for 3 years?
elmstone1
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowtestbeta)
could you finish this year then transfer unis so you can be closer? if u don't like the course I would drop out
if you're having a trouble passing the time videogames work a treat
I haven't thought of that idea, this is an option I will explore - Thank you
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you have a life plan if you drop out?
ticketsplease
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does it get any easier when you start second year, as I don't think at my current level it is sustainable for 3 years?
I'm finding it harder BUT I'm a single parent!
RiddIes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think what you are struggling with is the fact you are away from your family. Which is common in people who go to university far away when they have not really had exposure to living alone previously.

I cant sit here and tell you second year is going to be easier, as the university is not going to get closer to home. What I can say is that first year is particularly stressful as it is the transition period, some people adjust in weeks, some in months and some it takes the full year. It does get easier as what I found in first year is that it kind of feels like a holiday which is a year long whereas in second year it kind of hits you that you are at university and its going to count now.

If you are just struggling with being away from home then possibly second year will get easier as you will get "used" to it, also sometimes people dont get great flat mates in first year and it really does not help whereas second year is ALOT more social interaction with your flat (idk if thats helpful for you) but you find that you spend a lot more time with your flat during second year than you did in first.

However, if you are struggling with your course or anything along those lines then no second year will only get harder as it counts towards your degree, you are expected to do more work and it is a lot more time in the library.

Obviously all of this is subjective to the course and the university. If you do not mind me asking, what university is it and how far away is your home?
elmstone1
Rep:
?
(Original post by RiddIes)
I think what you are struggling with is the fact you are away from your family. Which is common in people who go to university far away when they have not really had exposure to living alone previously.

I cant sit here and tell you second year is going to be easier, as the university is not going to get closer to home. What I can say is that first year is particularly stressful as it is the transition period, some people adjust in weeks, some in months and some it takes the full year. It does get easier as what I found in first year is that it kind of feels like a holiday which is a year long whereas in second year it kind of hits you that you are at university and its going to count now.

If you are just struggling with being away from home then possibly second year will get easier as you will get "used" to it, also sometimes people dont get great flat mates in first year and it really does not help whereas second year is ALOT more social interaction with your flat (idk if thats helpful for you) but you find that you spend a lot more time with your flat during second year than you did in first.

However, if you are struggling with your course or anything along those lines then no second year will only get harder as it counts towards your degree, you are expected to do more work and it is a lot more time in the library.

Obviously all of this is subjective to the course and the university. If you do not mind me asking, what university is it and how far away is your home?
I am at uni at Nottingham and its about a 3 hour car journey, 2.5 hours by train
elmstone1
Rep:
?
(Original post by Unnamed User)
Do you have a life plan if you drop out?
I have thought about doing an accounting apprenticeship.
Unnamed User
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have thought about doing an accounting apprenticeship.
Well, it's up to you in the end. If you truly believe and are willing to put in the hard work, then you may be successful. A uni degree would still be a helpful back up, however, there are many billionaires out there who dropped out...
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Has your university offer been reduced?