The Student Room Group

Worthiness and rejection

So it turns out my level 3 apprenticeship diploma isn’t worth the same as a normal btec diploma (which is not communicated anywhere useful) and it’s only the equivalent to two A levels, hence rejection city.

My routes are Access to HE or a foundation year (preferable) but my mind isn’t letting go. It’s telling me I don’t deserve it, that i’m just a burden and taking other routes means i’m stupid and not worthy to get into anywhere good. Now i’m doubting myself, even with access or foundation degree, why would a uni accept me? I’ll still be the same person I am now. They’ll just be pressured to let me in because I have some more grades.

Idk what the point is, just to rant, to see if anyone else is suffering mass uni rejection blues. I always knew it was a long shot so I shouldn’t be this down. The “whats the point” voice is loud as hell.

Whiny b*** out ✌🏼

Scroll to see replies

i call it karma , lol
don't worry
What did you do in your apprenticeship? If you talk about it with confidence you'll get a job easily :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
What did you do in your apprenticeship? If you talk about it with confidence you'll get a job easily :smile:

Business admin! Getting a job isn’t a problem for me, i’ve got 3+ years experience and excellent references. It’s getting into uni that’s the problem as vocational qualifications aren’t as widely understood or valued. I know what I have to do to change it, just sucks that I’m not good enough for them atm 😞
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
i call it karma , lol

Karma for upsetting a crybaby anon 😢
Reply 6
no no for being a cocky little ***** on other peoples threads , what comes around goes around :biggrin:

Still sounds like a crybaby anon to me but okay whatever helps you sleep at night xoxo
Original post by cat_mac
Still sounds like a crybaby anon to me but okay whatever helps you sleep at night xoxo

lmfao i'm not the one crying about an apprenticeship failure XD
i know how it feels. i had an interview for my first choice uni and got rejected. it sucks. its hard but find the resillience to move on and do better. it will take time but youll get there. what will be will be! best of luck!
Reply 9
Yeah mental illness is a real b***. Logically I know that my feelings aren’t fact, but that doesn’t stop it being there I guess.

I’m 20 so i’m not sure I can do A levels, I don’t think any of the local colleges do A-levels for 19+ 🤔 i’ll have another look into it thought. Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by ELouise24
i know how it feels. i had an interview for my first choice uni and got rejected. it sucks. its hard but find the resillience to move on and do better. it will take time but youll get there. what will be will be! best of luck!

I suppose we all have to face hurdles on the path to get what we want. Thanks, Good luck to you to!
Original post by cat_mac
Business admin! Getting a job isn’t a problem for me, i’ve got 3+ years experience and excellent references. It’s getting into uni that’s the problem as vocational qualifications aren’t as widely understood or valued. I know what I have to do to change it, just sucks that I’m not good enough for them atm 😞

Uni? Those who become successful do not necessarily spend three years of their lives studying a degree. Your experience alone could take you anywhere, you stand out way more than the average graduate.
Reply 12
Original post by shawn_o1
Uni? Those who become successful do not necessarily spend three years of their lives studying a degree. Your experience alone could take you anywhere, you stand out way more than the average graduate.

Yeah I know, never wanted to go until recently, I want to study forensic psychology. Always advocated for alternate routes since I didn’t do Alevels and schools act like it’s gcse-alevel-degree or homeless druggie.

But now there’s something i’d really like to study and make a career of so i’ve got to back track on myself a bit!
What unis are these, if you don't mind me asking? What is the course, business too?

You might consider using UCAS Extra, when it comes up. The unis in there might be less selective. Clearing, if it comes to it, and they'll rip your arm off in order to get rid of one of their spaces.
Reply 14
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
What unis are these, if you don't mind me asking? What is the course, business too?

You might consider using UCAS Extra, when it comes up. The unis in there might be less selective. Clearing, if it comes to it, and they'll rip your arm off in order to get rid of one of their spaces.

Course is forensic psychology, so not exactly subject related 🙈 I applied to portsmouth, kent, manchester met, LJMU and leeds. Now that I found out the btec is only two A levels t makes more sense tbh.

Yeah I was thinking of applying for a foundation degree in extra, but kingston are the only uni that offers it in that course. Might try a few other uni’s undergrad in extra first, just in case. But idk I need to do some more research and make a plan. Thanks for the help
Reply 15
Thanks for the help ☺️ i’d much prefer to do a foundation year tbh, if I do an access i’d do it online while working since I wouldn’t be moving away and that doesn’t sound like loads of fun. Hopefully ucas extra and foundation years work in my favour.
Original post by cat_mac
Course is forensic psychology, so not exactly subject related 🙈 I applied to portsmouth, kent, manchester met, LJMU and leeds. Now that I found out the btec is only two A levels t makes more sense tbh.

Yeah I was thinking of applying for a foundation degree in extra, but kingston are the only uni that offers it in that course. Might try a few other uni’s undergrad in extra first, just in case. But idk I need to do some more research and make a plan. Thanks for the help

Yeah, exhaust your options; you might get something still. I would consider an Access course, too; might give you more options than a foundation course.

Maybe can tell you more about people transferring out from foundation to other universities.
lmfao i'm not the one crying about an apprenticeship failure XD

Your talking **** whilst being anonymous. Really shows your character.
Keep it up.
Reply 18
Don't worry. Keep working because I'm sure you'll get there. In fact I know so. Don't have a negative mind set. Try and talk to some professionals that have been through what you. Try getting advice from the national careers website. They tend to help. Don't doubt yourself. Actually believe in yourself. You ain't getting anywhere with that attitude. It's just a minor set back on your road to success. The only thing holding you back from going uni is yourself dude. So drop your negativity on the floor and brush it off your shoulders and pick up some positivity. Play the mantra. You're you! You ain't worthless! You ain't stupid! I'm gonna be the best the world has seen! And get off your ass and show what your made of. Hope this helps best of luck. Xoxo.
Foundation years are not a big deal, I did an integrated one and it's really not that deep, with teachers or fellow students. One of my best friends did his at another uni then came to mine in the year below, for him it wasn't an issue in terms of admissions or anything. My little sister is in the middle of hers and she's had nothing but good things to say (she hates Hull but who doesn't :tongue:)

All this just to say that you can still make it, and by the sounds of it you're a hard enough worker that you will make it. Just find the right place and go from there, in a few years you'll be back bragging about how you got a 1st and scored an elite grad job 👌🏾

Quick Reply

Latest