The Student Room Group

My parents

So my Dad and Mum want me to do good in my exams which is acceptable but theres a load of pressure on me from my parents, they expect me to have A* in everything and if i get bad grades they get really stroppy, how do i deal with the pressure and also how do i deal with them being super p*ssed of at me? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kamoo
So my Dad and Mum want me to do good in my exams which is acceptable but theres a load of pressure on me from my parents, they expect me to have A* in everything and if i get bad grades they get really stroppy, how do i deal with the pressure and also how do i deal with them being super p*ssed of at me? Thanks

Are you doing GCSEs or A-Levels?
Reply 2
GCSE's
Original post by Kamoo
GCSE's

Don't worry too much about them, not too demotivate you. But don't take them lightly either. Unless you want to apply to Oxford or to Medicine/Dentistry/Vet Sci., you don't need to have a string of A*s/8s and 9s. A few A*s/As with a few Bs should be enough. Don't get under any form of pressure, only study as much as you can. Good luck :smile:

Spoiler

Reply 4
@Rohit_Rocks10
Thankss im new to this only starting to get the hang of it :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kamoo

study hard and prove them wrong
Reply 6
Original post by CleverSquirrel
study hard and prove them wrong

How can i study hard and revise in order to show them wrong? Thanks
Original post by Kamoo
How can i study hard and revise in order to show them wrong? Thanks

that you can get good grades
Reply 8
that you can get good grades

I mean is there any tips on how to revise properly and study without getting distracted ?
Talk to them and tell them that they're pressuring you. Ask them to back off a bit. Say you get they want you to do well but you won't with all this pressure.
Original post by Kamoo

i am 15 and in year 11. mine put a lot of pressure on me and if i don't get grade 8s in everything and if i don't get a grade 9 in maths they are not happy. they haven't put as much pressure on me since i explained to them how i felt.
tell them you feel under too much pressure
Original post by Kamoo
I mean is there any tips on how to revise properly and study without getting distracted ?

i put my phone on air plane mode and study, put on some music and i get in study mode

have you tried revision cards? GCSE right? for me i just recited the text books inside and out and regurgitated the facts on the papers, but that was years ago, it might still work though?
They shouldn’t be putting that much pressure on you, an A* in everything is only for expectational bright students or those that work day in and out!
Reply 13
Original post by DrawTheLine
Talk to them and tell them that they're pressuring you. Ask them to back off a bit. Say you get they want you to do well but you won't with all this pressure.

My parents are asian so expectations are high and i'll speak to them, thanks
Reply 14
Original post by Baza2002
i am 15 and in year 11. mine put a lot of pressure on me and if i don't get grade 8s in everything and if i don't get a grade 9 in maths they are not happy. they haven't put as much pressure on me since i explained to them how i felt.
tell them you feel under too much pressure

I'll have a chat with them, thank you
Reply 15
i put my phone on air plane mode and study, put on some music and i get in study mode

have you tried revision cards? GCSE right? for me i just recited the text books inside and out and regurgitated the facts on the papers, but that was years ago, it might still work though?

Thank you, i'll take your advice on board are there any specific books you used??
Original post by Kamoo
Thank you, i'll take your advice on board are there any specific books you used??

idk if CGP are still are a thing but i used them
Reply 17
idk if CGP are still are a thing but i used them

They are still used and thanks
Original post by Kamoo
My parents are asian so expectations are high and i'll speak to them, thanks

Maybe worth saying have your expectations but don't tell you what they are to reduce pressure.
Reply 19
Original post by DrawTheLine
Maybe worth saying have your expectations but don't tell you what they are to reduce pressure.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest