The Student Room Group

personal statement

Hi guys. OMLLLL. Why is writing a personal statement so hard? My school don't even help us write it. Makes it even harder for us. Anyone got any tips. Sure will be grateful!! (for the sixth form)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
wat u applyign for bruv?
Reply 2
Applying for law, computer science don't know last subject yet. Probably sociology or graphic design.
Reply 3
it's going to be diffuclt to incorporate all those subjects into one ps
why you still applying tho?

i thought the deadline was time ago..
Reply 5
Urghh. Did you have any thing in mind? How long we talking?
Think about why you want to do whatever course you are applying for, what experience do you have that goes with this course and how will that help you with this subject in the future, have you done any competitions either I. School or out of school.
From that you can make a list of things which you will want to talk about in you statement as you want to be able to sell yourself.

If you are struggling to start writing it then what I found helped was not worrying about the first draft being even remotely good. I started my first draft with something along the lines of “here is my super fabulous personal statement which will persuade you that you definitely want to have me at your university”. As stupid as that sentence is it can help to get your head into the correct mind set for selling yourself, from there you can just see what flows and write what comes to mind.

You may have to do this a couple of times to get something which actually feels like a decent start but from there you can then work on it and improve it.

You still have plenty of time as I’m guessing you’re applying for 2019 entry so don’t stress over it yet. And don’t sit with a massive blank word document on your laptop. Rough notes on your phone are a much less intimidating starting place.

All the best
Reply 7
Thanks man!!
Reply 8
Where you from. Leicester have till January. And I had some family issues so.... Wasn't able to.
Original post by MO_16
Applying for law, computer science don't know last subject yet. Probably sociology or graphic design.

Is this for a sixth form application?

Just do your best and don’t worry too much. It’s not going to be a huge part of whether you get a place or not.
Original post by MO_16

That’s.... why it’s so difficult. Personal statements are usually tailored to one, or at most 2 linking subjects.

Writing a PS that combines Law, Comp Sci and Sociology/Graphic design is near impossible if you want to be a strong candidate.

I’d suggest figuring out what degree you want to do before writing a PS for it. (Also, I assume you’re not applying this upcoming year, as the deadline has already passed)

Edit: I just realised this is more likely a sixth form application than a degree one.. In which case, talk about you, and what you aspire to do as a degree and why those 4 subjects will help you get there, as well as showing interest in the subjects you’ve chosen. Once you’ve started, youll be fine.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
yup sixth form
Reply 12
Original post by FloralHybrid
That’s.... why it’s so difficult. Personal statements are usually tailored to one, or at most 2 linking subjects.

Writing a PS that combines Law, Comp Sci and Sociology/Graphic design is near impossible if you want to be a strong candidate.

I’d suggest figuring out what degree you want to do before writing a PS for it. (Also, I assume you’re not applying this upcoming year, as the deadline has already passed)

Edit: I just realised this is more likely a sixth form application than a degree one.. In which case, talk about you, and what you aspire to do as a degree and why those 4 subjects will help you get there, as well as showing interest in the subjects you’ve chosen. Once you’ve started, youll be fine.

thanks so much!!!!!!!! x
Original post by soIiIoquy
why you still applying tho?

i thought the deadline was time ago..

It's probably for A levels... 🌚

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending