Watch
Poll: When should Theresa May resign?
Now (20)
40%
Before the end of 2018 (3)
6%
Once Brexit is negotiated (13)
26%
At a time of her choosing - she should be allowed to fight the next election (14)
28%
existent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The Prime Minister has managed to stay in power for longer than a lot of people expected. Eighteen months after ascending to the highest office and seven months after that ill-fated election, when do you think she should resign?
Harold Saxon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Perhaps the 5th of May 2022?
Fractite
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not now (or this year) - it'll be too risky to just throw her out and try to get in a new government during Brexit.

Just wait 'til the next election.
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Announce her resignation in June 2019, with a new Conservative leader/Prime Minister elected in September.

Also maybe have a general election in October 2020 before the apparent end of the transitional period for parties to set out their vision of a post brexit UK.
The PoliticalGuy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hopefully she should stay until to fight for the next general election and take the Conservatives into their worst election, electing the Labour party with hopefully a Blairite in charge and Brexit to be stopped.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by existent)
The Prime Minister has managed to stay in power for longer than a lot of people expected. Eighteen months after ascending to the highest office and seven months after that ill-fated election, when do you think she should resign?
If May can keep pace in polling and negotiate a Brexit deal acceptable to Tory members then she should have the right to fight the next election in 2019 however anything other than regaining the majority should see her resign.

In effect she should be rewarded for her penance.
ScottishBrexitor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
If May can keep pace in polling and negotiate a Brexit deal acceptable to Tory members then she should have the right to fight the next election in 2019 however anything other than regaining the majority should see her resign.

In effect she should be rewarded for her penance.
Do you think the next election will take place in 2019?
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not now. The conservatives would just crumble without her, we have no good solid replacement lined up.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ScottishBrexitor)
Do you think the next election will take place in 2019?
Yes. May did not become leader solely to do Brexit and so post negotiations she will want a bigger mandate or be pushed aside.

If she gets a deal done which does not screw us in polling then I think there's a good chance she calls an election.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. May did not become leader solely to do Brexit and so post negotiations she will want a bigger mandate or be pushed aside.

If she gets a deal done which does not screw us in polling then I think there's a good chance she calls an election.
I think there is very little chance of us not being screwed in the polling after Brexit to be honest.
username3674016
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Get this splendid fellow in charge right now:

Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by I for Inimitable)
Get this splendid fellow in charge right now:

Absolutely! True British gentleman and a true conservative.
username47781
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The PoliticalGuy)
Hopefully she should stay until to fight for the next general election and take the Conservatives into their worst election, electing the Labour party with hopefully a Blairite in charge and Brexit to be stopped.
I ain't gonna be stopped.
username3674016
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Absolutely! True British gentleman and a true conservative.
Precisely. A Rees-Mogg and Corbyn PMQ session would actually be respectful and courteous.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by I for Inimitable)
Precisely. A Rees-Mogg and Corbyn PMQ session would actually be respectful and courteous.
Really, Corbyn just shouts THE TORIES for about 20 mins. Jacob on the other hand poiltley dismantles the interviewer. See his outing on HARDtalk.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally i thought so too however with the first phase over we saw that despite it looking poor and May caving to soft Brexit (large divorce bill, 2 year transition) our polling has held up and the ultra's capitulated for the most part.

There was a risk post-election that it could all go wrong (we looked weak needing the DUP, Labour were polling very well) but months on and Corbyn's approval ratings are still a pitiful ~35% and we are more or less tied. If we get to 2019 intact, there's a good chance we can win.

(Original post by Andrew97)
I think there is very little chance of us not being screwed in the polling after Brexit to be honest.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally i thought so too however with the first phase over we saw that despite it looking poor and May caving to soft Brexit (large divorce bill, 2 year transition) our polling has held up and the ultra's capitulated for the most part.

There was a risk post-election that it could all go wrong (we looked weak needing the DUP, Labour were polling very well) but months on and Corbyn's approval ratings are still a pitiful ~35% and we are more or less tied. If we get to 2019 intact, there's a good chance we can win.
Yeah, the issue Corbyn has got is that he changes his Brexit policy more times than I change my underwear. Personally I was not comfy with a remain mp winning the leadership and I would have voted Gove myself.

The issue we have isn’t really the DUP, they will stay solid out of fear of a Corbyn government, it’s our backbenchers like Grieve and Shapps and Mogg who may cause problems.

As you can guess I’m a conservative supporter (voted for them in the election and he won) we must be rare on a forum like this.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To be honest i takethe view that she should be strung up from the nearest yard arm. She has disgraced this country and her people whilst doing her uptmost to screw the country.
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Now, because she's an utterly spineless liberal sell out
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Should have gone a long time ago. Don’t know how she still managed to win the snap election.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (66)
22.15%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
44.97%
Not bothered either way (37)
12.42%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.47%

Watched Threads