The Student Room Group

Revision

Hi, I'm currently in yr 11 and have got my mock results back which I wasn't happy with (i got two 6s and a 7) and don't know how to revise and stay focused. I revise a lot but I don't seem to revise the right thing. Can you give me any advice on how to move up by 2 grades from a 6-8. Much appreciated.
Reply 1
Make sure you get enough sleep, make a revision timetable and revise in small sections which will help you stay focused. Set yourself targets and when you have finished revising a topic, do some past paper questions on them.
Reply 2
Firstly, I wouldn’t get too sad about mock grades these are new exams and the grading seems to be more lenient as it’s still new. In my year 11 mocks I was getting 5s and 6s and ended up getting 2 8s and a 6.
In terms of revision the best thing I did was teach people around you (your family or friends) if you do this it ensures that you understand the topic and LOADS of past paper questions. Plus, my walls we covered in posters I don’t know if they really helped that much but seeing them everyday reminded me of things I struggled with. This worked for nearly all my topics.
If it’s English Literature you are struggling with, I didn’t worry about learning whole poems etc I learned about 3/4 key quotes in each and 2 on structure which I can analyse the hell out of. Similar with the large text questions I remembered 4/5 quotes for each topic (love/relationships/class differences).
For English Language I always complained that I couldn’t revise it and I wish I’d read loads of different formats of texts to get myself familiar with it and something that my teacher told us to do was write a story (for the writing section) and perfect it (ask them to correct and see where you can improve) and change it in the exam slightly to fit the question. This point depends on what exam board you are on.
Closer to exams I printed out ALL the specifications for my subjects and and went through EVERYTHING highlighting it as I went along
Healthy eating and exercise, I started to attend the gym before exams and not only did this allow me to unwind but I got a better nights sleep and felt refreshed in the morning. If you find you don’t have time for this make a revision timetable and maybe even take some revision whilst exercising (listen to podcasts or answer questions on your phone).
Finally, find you motivation. Put the grades you want on your wall, a photo of your motivation (Mine is Beyoncé) listen to motivational music every morning so you are enthusiastic at school (again mine is Run the World and Formation ) and just keep your end goal in mind
Sorry this was so long, hope you do well in your exams :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by _k.bx
Firstly, I wouldn’t get too sad about mock grades these are new exams and the grading seems to be more lenient as it’s still new. In my year 11 mocks I was getting 5s and 6s and ended up getting 2 8s and a 6.
In terms of revision the best thing I did was teach people around you (your family or friends) if you do this it ensures that you understand the topic and LOADS of past paper questions. Plus, my walls we covered in posters I don’t know if they really helped that much but seeing them everyday reminded me of things I struggled with. This worked for nearly all my topics.
If it’s English Literature you are struggling with, I didn’t worry about learning whole poems etc I learned about 3/4 key quotes in each and 2 on structure which I can analyse the hell out of. Similar with the large text questions I remembered 4/5 quotes for each topic (love/relationships/class differences).
For English Language I always complained that I couldn’t revise it and I wish I’d read loads of different formats of texts to get myself familiar with it and something that my teacher told us to do was write a story (for the writing section) and perfect it (ask them to correct and see where you can improve) and change it in the exam slightly to fit the question. This point depends on what exam board you are on.
Closer to exams I printed out ALL the specifications for my subjects and and went through EVERYTHING highlighting it as I went along
Healthy eating and exercise, I started to attend the gym before exams and not only did this allow me to unwind but I got a better nights sleep and felt refreshed in the morning. If you find you don’t have time for this make a revision timetable and maybe even take some revision whilst exercising (listen to podcasts or answer questions on your phone).
Finally, find you motivation. Put the grades you want on your wall, a photo of your motivation (Mine is Beyoncé) listen to motivational music every morning so you are enthusiastic at school (again mine is Run the World and Formation ) and just keep your end goal in mind
Sorry this was so long, hope you do well in your exams :smile:

Hey thanks for responding. I am going to try these but i have tried som many techniques but now it seems i just can't focus. I have lost all motivation and feel soo distracted. My mum said to me if you do badly in your next mocks then stop revising you can do your exams without it. She doesn't understand me and always screams when i get my results. She makes me feel so bad about myself saying im a failure. I constantly try but i just end up failing.
Reply 4
I think you should tell her that you feel she isn’t supporting you and this is the time you need her most.

Quick Reply

Latest