Does Uplearn Economics actually help you get A*/A? Watch

Gg ez plat smurf
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was wondering if uplearn economics actually gets you an A*/A? Like are their statistics actually real? If so, how many students?
TaraMott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I actually used uplearn last year and I have to say, they were very very useful. I got it in year 12 though so had used it for a while. I ended up with A* but i think it was down to enjoying econ a lot and actually wanting to revise it too.

I would say get it if you have the money, as i know its a lot. It was 100% worth it for me
Gg ez plat smurf
Rep:
?
(Original post by TaraMott)
I actually used uplearn last year and I have to say, they were very very useful. I got it in year 12 though so had used it for a while. I ended up with A* but i think it was down to enjoying econ a lot and actually wanting to revise it too.

I would say get it if you have the money, as i know its a lot. It was 100% worth it for me
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it! I have already purchased uplearn economics.
How many hours did you use uplearn economics a day? And did you hit your daily goals for all four themes?
Did you complete 90%+ of each of the four courses as that's what it says that I need to have to get an A*?
Also, did you do just use the uplearn exam papers or did you also do past exam papers from like the old spec?

Finally, the most important question, did you find that what you learnt from uplearn and what you learnt at school were kind of different which meant that in your school xya exams you would lose marks for using the uplearn definitions etc?
It's a lot of questions but it would really benefit me exponentially. Thank you!
TaraMott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I used Uplearn on most days during the week until I completed my own notes by using their videos. After i made my notes, I didn't actually re-watch the videos a great deal.

I didn't reach my daily goals because i found that i didn't need to watch the videos as much. But then again, last year, they did not have all 4 themes, all they had was microeconomics so i had to study macro using text books and econ+dal youtube channel.

I practically did every past paper I could, but i wouldn't actually write out the answers, i would instead bullet point my paragraphs and what i would put in them. I did use the past papers from uplearn but again only planned the answers. I would say though that they were really useful, especially the step by step solutions they would do.

I used the definitions i learnt in school because i had basically memorised them and they were detailed. The Uplearn ones were good too but i was too used to my own ones.

What spec are you doing, edexcel? AQA?
Gg ez plat smurf
Rep:
?
I used Uplearn on most days during the week until I completed my own notes by using their videos. After i made my notes, I didn't actually re-watch the videos a great deal.

I didn't reach my daily goals because i found that i didn't need to watch the videos as much. But then again, last year, they did not have all 4 themes, all they had was microeconomics so i had to study macro using text books and econ+dal youtube channel.

I practically did every past paper I could, but i wouldn't actually write out the answers, i would instead bullet point my paragraphs and what i would put in them. I did use the past papers from uplearn but again only planned the answers. I would say though that they were really useful, especially the step by step solutions they would do.

I used the definitions i learnt in school because i had basically memorised them and they were detailed. The Uplearn ones were good too but i was too used to my own ones.

What spec are you doing, edexcel? AQA?
Thanks for the very detailed explanations of what you did. I really appreciate it! I'm doing Edexcel A for Economics.
Also would you say that their exam how to's really helped and their exam technique videos also? Did the mark scheme to the uplearn exam papers help you at all like for points and extra development kaa/ev marks?
Finally, what were you getting in your cross years during year 13 for economics as I'm just wondering? Also for your mocks?
Thanks for the great replies!
TaraMott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yh i did Edexcel A as well.

For me, their exam how to's were not bad. Their acronyms were good and memorable but i used more of the exam how tos of econplusdal, mainly beacuse i only had Uplearn around Jan year 13 so i had already used other methods.

The exam paper mark schemes were really good! They show you that you can get your point accross in 1 simple sentence rather than trying to burst all your knowledge out from your brain to paper. The only bad thing about Uplearn is that i found it to be extremely slow paced, the rest was great, especially for micro with all the graphs.

My first econ yr13 grade was an E (our teacher gave us a full A2 past paper in November for some reason) but mostly i was on an A. Because the exams had changed to being linear (we were the first to do the new exams) my teachers werent really aware of how exams were going to be marked so they were harsh to make sure that we would do everything to revise more.

And no, problem, im happy to help. Are you planning on going to university, if so what degree?
Gg ez plat smurf
Rep:
?
Yes, I plan on going to university and I want to study Economics or Accounting and Finance. I will be taking a gap year though and applying with my actual A level grades. This is so that I can maximise my chances of getting into Oxbridge as I'll have my actual A level grades compared to other candidates and I will have more time to prepare for the TSA etc.
Thanks again for your detailed replies!
man111111
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yh i did Edexcel A as well.

For me, their exam how to's were not bad. Their acronyms were good and memorable but i used more of the exam how tos of econplusdal, mainly beacuse i only had Uplearn around Jan year 13 so i had already used other methods.

The exam paper mark schemes were really good! They show you that you can get your point accross in 1 simple sentence rather than trying to burst all your knowledge out from your brain to paper. The only bad thing about Uplearn is that i found it to be extremely slow paced, the rest was great, especially for micro with all the graphs.

My first econ yr13 grade was an E (our teacher gave us a full A2 past paper in November for some reason) but mostly i was on an A. Because the exams had changed to being linear (we were the first to do the new exams) my teachers werent really aware of how exams were going to be marked so they were harsh to make sure that we would do everything to revise more.

And no, problem, im happy to help. Are you planning on going to university, if so what degree?
Hey im really struggling with economics. I recently failed my economics mock exam (i think it is due to exam technique rather than knowledge but maybe both) and my teacher has made us notes but they are sooooooo long. What do you think i should do? I really want to get at least a B in the summer (to get into uni).
TaraMott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by man111111)
Hey im really struggling with economics. I recently failed my economics mock exam (i think it is due to exam technique rather than knowledge but maybe both) and my teacher has made us notes but they are sooooooo long. What do you think i should do? I really want to get at least a B in the summer (to get into uni).
I'll give you some resources that i used:
- Econplusdal youtube channel
- PajHolden Youtube channel
- Physics and maths tutor notes (these were great, i basically memoried them all)
- economicsonline website

for exam technique, e.g. for a 25 marker, i would do 3 paragraphs and 3 evaluations. My paragraphs would be pretty long and detailed which i preferred, otherd did 4/5 less detailed paragraphs but that didnt work for me. My teachers number 1 tip was the "chain of analysis", in economics, everything links together so show what you know. Also, use the sources as much as possible. Highlight key things and pop it into your essay
man111111
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
- Physics and maths tutor notes (these were great, i basically memoried them all)

for exam technique, e.g. for a 25 marker, i would do 3 paragraphs and 3 evaluations. My paragraphs would be pretty long and detailed which i preferred, otherd did 4/5 less detailed paragraphs but that didnt work for me. My teachers number 1 tip was the "chain of analysis", in economics, everything links together so show what you know. Also, use the sources as much as possible. Highlight key things and pop it into your essay
Thank you sooooo much for replying. So, you didn't make any notes. Did you rely on the physics and maths tutor's notes. Furthermore, did you make a list or did your teacher make a list of all the possible 25 markers that could come up. In addition, do you mind telling me how to structure the paragraphs for all type of questions. For example, 5,12,1,25 markers.
UnknownStudent1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Could you have done it (achieving an A*) without Up Learn?
TaraMott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you sooooo much for replying. So, you didn't make any notes. Did you rely on the physics and maths tutor's notes. Furthermore, did you make a list or did your teacher make a list of all the possible 25 markers that could come up. In addition, do you mind telling me how to structure the paragraphs for all type of questions. For example, 5,12,1,25 markers.
I made loads of notes but they were essentially merging all the resources i used into one. But i would say that videos helped me remember the content more. Econplusdal youtube channel made a video about all the possible 25 markers, my teacher just literally said that anything could come up as we were the first year group to do the new A-level linear exams.

I can tell you what structure i used in my exam:

5 marker = 1 definition, explain the definition, copy two points from the source and an example or diagram

12 marker = define all the key terms!, link to the source 3/4 times. I used two paragraphs for explanation and then a paragraph with 2/3 evaluation points and link at the end

15 marker = either 2 detailed long paragraphs with explanation or 3 shorter paragraphs with 3 different points answering the question. Use the source, especially the graphs to add some stats that they might provide you with. and evaluation. they love eval so the more the better (providing that you stick within the time)

25 marker = 3/4 paragraphs depending on how much you write in each. In my exam in june last year, i did 2 paragraphs for this, each basically a page long with 3 evaluation points for each paragraph.

basically, what im trying to say is that paragraphs don't really matter, as long as you chain your reasoning (this happens because... this leads to....which then causes.... source 2 shows this by providing the stat.....) BUT: use the sources !! i often forgot about them as i was so worked up about the question. Also, your evaluations need to be chained with reasoning as well so think of evaluation as another paragraph.

sorry for replying late btw. hope thats kind of helpful
TaraMott
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UnknownStudent1)
100%
I think it helped me a lot because it was easier to remember because in the exam i would literally think of the UpLearn guys' voice but there's youtube vidoes that do the same for free.
preet1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gg ez plat smurf)
Thanks for the very detailed explanations of what you did. I really appreciate it! I'm doing Edexcel A for Economics.
Also would you say that their exam how to's really helped and their exam technique videos also? Did the mark scheme to the uplearn exam papers help you at all like for points and extra development kaa/ev marks?
Finally, what were you getting in your cross years during year 13 for economics as I'm just wondering? Also for your mocks?
Thanks for the great replies!

The exam how-to's really helped me with Edexcel Economics (i got an A because of Uplearn), the consistent progress questions within and after every topic were so helpful because when i walked into the exam, i knew exactly what to expect!

The mark schemes were so helpful because they listed extra points that i didnt even think of. it really went to show how many possible answers you could come up with if you just think properly, definitely recommend.

Good Luck!
preet1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got an A with Edexcel Uplearn Economics, you will too trust me just try the UPlearn free trial and you'll see for yourself my friend, i wasnt doign well at the start either (Ds etc)

Good Luck
preet1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UnknownStudent1)

I literally didnt understand Economics in Year 12 at all, my teachers were terrible etc and i was struggling. i memorised the definitions and the book but whenever i did the exam questions i'd always fail because i was never taught how to use the knowledge i memorised.
Uplearn taught me everything, i stopped going to college and did it at home, no notes no anything just uplearn.

I got an A, if i had finished the course (i only did 60% bc i got lazy and thats my fault), i can guarantee i wouldve got an A*

i would say get uplearn and invest into your future, you'll definitely pass with them, i didnt really understand what econplusdal was talking about but everyones differnet, just give the free trial a go and dind our for yourself, good luck
Asada786
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by preet1234)
I literally didnt understand Economics in Year 12 at all, my teachers were terrible etc and i was struggling. i memorised the definitions and the book but whenever i did the exam questions i'd always fail because i was never taught how to use the knowledge i memorised.
Uplearn taught me everything, i stopped going to college and did it at home, no notes no anything just uplearn.

I got an A, if i had finished the course (i only did 60% bc i got lazy and thats my fault), i can guarantee i wouldve got an A*

i would say get uplearn and invest into your future, you'll definitely pass with them, i didnt really understand what econplusdal was talking about but everyones differnet, just give the free trial a go and dind our for yourself, good luck
Do you have to buy microeconomics separate from the macroeconomics version? So does it basically take two £349.99 purchases for economics?
erthfc9
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

how did you combine using uplearn and tutor2u notes together?eg did you like write the tutor2u notes first tech watch the videos and write more notes,?i want to use uplearn and tutor2u but don't know how to combine them and use them both ?
chrisfromuplearn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Gg ez plat smurf)
I was wondering if uplearn economics actually gets you an A*/A? Like are their statistics actually real? If so, how many students?
Hey Gg ez plat smurf - our stats are real!

I haven't got official figures just yet but unofficially we had ~4000 users with full licences. I think 25-30% completed their courses (so 1000-1200 - this is actually really high for the industry as typically 90%+ of users don't make it to the end). We processed 20 refunds in August/Sept, so this gives 98-98.6% A*/A roughly. Hope this helps 😁

Disclaimer: I work at Up Learn. However, these views are my own and not official company views
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.75%
Labour (554)
51.68%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.43%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.59%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)