The Student Room Group

An Attempt Will Be Made

Lmao well this is gonna be an interesting one; I have the motivation of some sort of worm, so I'm hoping commiting to daily posts here will be the thing I need to sort my life out.

So I figure I'll start out with outlining my subjects and current grades .etc

GCSEs (Are these even that relevant?)

Spoiler

And now on to everyone's favourite AS/A levels :rolleyes:

Media Studies (Only taking forward to AS):
Mock Exam Result: A What I'd like to achieve: A

Not too much to say about this one surprisingly, it was a subject choice I made before I was definite on what I wanted to do with my life (more on that minor detail later) and although it's not going to end up being at all relevant I'm really enjoying it! I've found it an easy subject to pick up (I'd say the theory side has been comparable to Eng Lit in places, which although I hated, has made it easy to wrap my head around) and it's nice to have a subject which is a bit more creative. So yeah, a sadly irrelevant subject now really, but hopefully will be a nice shiny A grade at AS for me to pop into UCAS :u:

Geography:
Mock Exam Result: B (One mark away from an A :dunce:) What I'd like to achieve: A*

Probably one of my favourite subjects, and is one I've always gotten on well with for whatever reason, even since GCSE. The class and the teacher are just great, and probably half the reason I'm doing so well! Not really got a lot else to say about it really, since I'm feeling pretty confident, and fingers crossed things keep on the up because a predicted grade of an A* would be pretty nice on my UCAS form later this year :hubba:

Chemistry:
Mock Exam Result: D What I'd like to achieve: A

This, my dudes, is where problems start to occur for me - Chemistry's a bit of a bloody jump isn't it? I'll hold my hand up an say that I've not been working as hard out of class as I could be, but even when I revised heavily in the lead up to my mock before Christmas I didn't see any improvement form the Ds I'd been getting prior it was disheartening to say the least, but I'm realising I can't dwell on it, and I need to pick myself up and get on. My teacher believes I'm making good progress (but I'm clearly not!) and that my confidence in the subject is growing, which I can sort of agree with, since I'm starting to wrap my head around some elements (pun definitely expected - a taste of what's to come in this thread!) of the subject, which is a nice feeling. I'm determined to improve, but I struggle to motivate myself (despite having plenty of motivations in mind, if that makes sense?) to get off my butt and work at home. I hope daily posts here will help that, and Chemistry will be a heavy focus in these posts, and I think that I'll improve (Please, hopefully) and be able to get there! :jive:

Biology:
Mock Exam Result: E What I'd like to achieve: A
xh_51NvlPMaVABa0DNcW3GW8enbq1md9xOzLjdsPb8I.png
Now, this is really the killer, and it probably shouldn't be, but that's the way the cookie seems to have crumbled thus far. There are ongoing issues relating to the teacher (Not that it excuses how I've done!) which have been an ongoing source of issue and stress; attempts are being made to resolve it with my support tutor at college, but nothing has come of it yet. I feel I am very much in a place where I have to teach myself from square one, as college teaching thus far has proved to not be all that good (As seen with my other class members too), and I am at a loss. I struggle remembering all the content, there just seems so much and we are yet to reach the end of our second unit. I really want to do well, an have been trying thus far, but I'm realising I'm not trying as hard as I could and should be, and need to focus on my own goals regardless of the in-class situation. It's all going to be a tricky balancing act, but hopefully once I find my feet (which I better hurry up and do lmao) things will fall into place. :juggle:

TL;DR - Yikes man needs to stop being so lazy and work harder. Also, yes, A-levels are very hard, guess school was right about something!

If you're still reading then you're great honestly I hope I didn't make you cringe too much, and I hope my failings make you feel better about yourself!

Here's the sticking point though: Your girl here wants to study medicine at uni, meaning I'll be wanting grade predictions of at least AAA before October this year (Scares me everytime when I realise that it's now this year :lolwut:). Plus there's also my work experience, volunteering and extracurriculars for my PS to think about, but if I mention them now I'll definitely overload you with text - plus I think I'll become so stressed I might explode!

So, that's that for now I guess, I'm going to be posting daily the work I do (To make sure I actually get stuff done, so I have a post to make at all!) to help me get on track. If anyone is actually reading please jump in if you have anything at all to say, nice or not - sometime tough love is exactly what you need - and any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

QueenLazy :ahhhhh:

P.S Gonna keep things interesting with some memes (and heavy overuse of the smileys lmao) yanno, I guess I'm not known as a meme rat for nothing :cheers:

Scroll to see replies

The mock I did about a month before sitting my biology AS exam I got a D on. I really needed a lot better than that if I was to do basically anything useful with my life in the future. I got my life together and managed to get an A in the end! :biggrin: So don't worry too much, you have much more time than I did to turn your grades around so you can definitely do it! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by elmiller
The mock I did about a month before sitting my biology AS exam I got a D on. I really needed a lot better than that if I was to do basically anything useful with my life in the future. I got my life together and managed to get an A in the end! :biggrin: So don't worry too much, you have much more time than I did to turn your grades around so you can definitely do it! :smile:

Wow! That's amazing, well done you! :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking I'd love to hear what you did in terms of revision and stuff between that mock and your final exam, clearly it worked :tongue:
Reply 3
Daily Post #1
So, things haven't exactly kicked off to a flying start, but there you go :dontknow: I had the perfect opportunity to get going today, since I didn't have college until 2PM, but I unintentionally slept in instead! Far from ideal, but I'm not mad about it lmao, I did get a few bits and pieces done though, so I guess I'll outline them here for those who're interested:
- I did hella filing, and now I actually have folders that are organised, instead of folders with a few things clipped in and millions of sheets slotted in and flying about everywhere! It was pretty satisfying, it feels great to have everything organised now, and should mean I'll be able to start making sense ok my notes and stuff
- Your girl is now the proud owner of a clean and actually usable study space! :u: Yep, I actually have a tidy desk, so I figure it'll be much more productive than me doing my work in bed or sat at the coffee table in front of my TV.
- In terms of actual solid work I didn't end up doing any before college, but once I got home I spent some time planning and writing my 2 geography essay questions. I got one totally finished, and one part done, so I plan to finish those up tomorrow when I get home.

So yee, not super productive, but it's a start I figure :facepalm:I'm sure I'll get into the swing of actually working daily outside of college eventually, and then I can smash the grades and sort my life out.
omg I love this xD
Reply 5
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
omg I love this xD

Aww thank you :h: Glad someone can put up with the weird humour and flawed work ethic :tongue:
tag me in this xD
I can relate to the titrations, but you get better after lots of practise :yy:
When I did biology and I didn't know what the answer is, it was always glyco- something so I'd just pick one and just write some drivel...
worked out for me lol xD
I was getting D/Cs in bio and got an A* in the real thing, just gotta memorise a few words
u got this! :hugs: :rave:
Original post by QueenLazy
Aww thank you :h: Glad someone can put up with the weird humour and flawed work ethic :tongue:

geography :rofl:
Reply 7
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
tag me in this xD
I can relate to the titrations, but you get better after lots of practise :yy:
When I did biology and I didn't know what the answer is, it was always glyco- something so I'd just pick one and just write some drivel...
worked out for me lol xD
I was getting D/Cs in bio and got an A* in the real thing, just gotta memorise a few words
u got this! :hugs: :rave:
geography :rofl:

I will for sure, but I’m a noob, how do I do that 😂
Lmaooo that’s so real I swear it’s glyco stuff and condensation reactions always!
That’s amazing, good job man 😊 Thank you so much!
Wow! That's amazing, well done you! :biggrin: If you don't mind me asking I'd love to hear what you did in terms of revision and stuff between that mock and your final exam, clearly it worked :tongue:

I think the most important thing for me was doing a bit of everything. I didn’t revise for GCSE really so I didn’t know how I best revised so I just did a bit of everything flashcards, quizlet, past papers and text book questions :u: I’d say repetition is also important for parts of the spec that have a structured answer every time. Do as many past questions and papers that you can, hope this helps!:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by elmiller
I think the most important thing for me was doing a bit of everything. I didn’t revise for GCSE really so I didn’t know how I best revised so I just did a bit of everything flashcards, quizlet, past papers and text book questions :u: I’d say repetition is also important for parts of the spec that have a structured answer every time. Do as many past questions and papers that you can, hope this helps!:smile:

I'm in the same boat when it come to GCSE, so this seems a good suggestion, since I have awhile so hopefully I can work out what works for me :u: Yeah, structured things like that seem a good idea, since there are certain things that seem to come up every year without fail! Thanks for the help :smile:
Reply 10
Daily Post #2
Aaa lmao it's only the second day of me posting and this one is already on the wrong side of midnight! It's been a semi-productive ay though, so I'll give you all a quick rundown of what I got done:
- I finished the geography essays mentioned yesterday, ready to hand into my teacher in tomorrow's lesson.
- Actually took the plunge and jumped into some chemistry out of class today, starting an exam question booklet our teacher gave it. Not even halfway through yet and yikes it's already a mess, but I see my A2 student mentor on Friday, so if I don't get anywhere with it tomorrow then I'm sure she'll be able to help me out with it!
Sorry this was short and lacking in my so called 'humor' but your girl is super tired, and in need of sleep as per usual lmao :u:
Tbh I thought the OP of this thread before reading it was in trouble or something
Reply 12
Daily Post #3
Yeet my dudes :u: Been quite a good day today, had one of those rare lessons in chemistry where I actually understood stuff! So, here's my daily lil list of stuff I got done in terms of study today:
- I attempted some more of my Chemistry exam paper, which was a pretty big mess lmao but I'm gonna mark what I've done an then go through it with my A2 mentor tomorrow and hopefully she'll be able to point me in the right direction.
- An attempt was made at some Biology exam questions, but I didn't get all that far with the booklet (I'd done most of it already, but we've finished the unit now, so your girl thought oh yee can finish it now but I was vvv incorrect lmao) but hopefully my brain got something out of it :curious:

So, I guess that's it, I feel like I need to find a way of making these posts a lil more spicy n interesting lmao so if you've got any ideas, or yanno actual useful study tips then let me know :smile: Thanks for all the help and support so far <3
Reply 13
Original post by RedGiant
Tbh I thought the OP of this thread before reading it was in trouble or something

Haha nope, the only thing that's in trouble is my grades :laugh:
Reply 14
Daily Post #4
TGIF lmaooo it's been a long week and as per usual I'm knackered! I haven't actually studied since I got home from college today, which I'm disappointed with myself for but I guess its only one day. Not a lot to report here but we've done it everyday thus far so I'll continue with it :colonhash:
- Saw my lovely A2 Chemistry mentor today, who (as always) was super helpful. We went through and marked what I did of the paper (I mentioned doing this the other day for those of you who care enough to keep up :tongue:).
- To keep of short I had done pretty bad, and irritatingly had lacked specifics as I lost a lot of marks for not quite writing what the mark scheme wanted, even if the rig ideas/concepts whatever were there which was super frustrating! :angry:
- I have now gathered an idea of some stumbling points here though in terms of Chemistry though, so I guess it a case of swings and roundabouts, but its disheartening all the same, though I now know what stuff I could look at over the weekend :colondollar:
I understand the struggles in Chemistry too - I got a D in my mock and I really want an A at the end of the year....... we'll see how that goes. I also do Geography, which is my favourite! I'm definitely going to keep watching your thread!
Reply 16
Original post by Michelle08
I understand the struggles in Chemistry too - I got a D in my mock and I really want an A at the end of the year....... we'll see how that goes. I also do Geography, which is my favourite! I'm definitely going to keep watching your thread!

I’m glad someone else can too! I’m sure you’ll manage to get there; if you’ve got a GYG going too I’d love to follow it and see how you get on! :jumphug: Ahaha another fellow geography fan :h: Aww thank you my dude, I hope you find it at least mildly entertaining! :cool:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Daily Post #5
It has been a day, I don’t know what to say, but I made a rhyme because quality content production :cool: Lmaoo I mean it was a Saturday, and I lack much of a social life, so it was a prime opportunity to study and all of the things, but I did seize said opportunity as well as I could have, but yanno judging by the thread so far I guess that shouldn’t be a shock! :rofl: Buuut I did do some stuff, so here’s a lil rundown for you all:
- I opened up the god awful biology textbook (Don’t think I’ve mentioned this but I hATE the bio textbook personally I find it overly ‘wordy’ and it does my head in basically :stupido3: )and did some of the practice questions.
- Looking back now I did more than I’d realised, having tackled about 35-40 questions overall.
- I focused mainly on unit one, since I feel I struggle with it a lot in terms of understanding all the key areas (Far too much contents for my little rat brain to comprehend!) but I did a little bit of unit two as well - mainly DNA and proteins since we have looked at that fairly recently, so it was hopefully some useful revision.
So as per my thread title ‘an attempt’ was made at productivity today :eek4: I want to change up the format of these blog posts somehow, and I think I might start dropping in some photos of my study space and stuff if that would interest you guys? And yanno, since it’s me I’ll probably find some more memes lmao
(edited 6 years ago)
Daily Post #5
It has been a day, I don’t know what to say, but I made a rhyme because quality content production :cool: Lmaoo I mean it was a Saturday, and I lack much of a social life, so it was a prime opportunity to study and all of the things, but I did seize said opportunity as well as I could have, but yanno judging by the thread so far I guess that shouldn’t be a shock! :rofl: Buuut I did do some stuff, so here’s a lil rundown for you all:
- I opened up the god awful biology textbook (Don’t think I’ve mentioned this but I hATE the bio textbook personally I find it overly ‘wordy’ and it does my head in basically :stupido3: )and did some of the practice questions.
- Looking back now I did more than I’d realised, having tackled about 35-40 questions overall.
- I focused mainly on unit one, since I feel I struggle with it a lot in terms of understanding all the key areas (Far too much contents for my little rat brain to comprehend!) but I did a little bit of unit two as well - mainly DNA and proteins since we have looked at that fairly recently, so it was hopefully some useful revision.
So as per my thread title ‘an attempt’ was made at productivity today :eek4: I want to change up the format of these blog posts somehow, and I think I might start dropping in some photos of my study space and stuff if that would interest you guys? And yanno, since it’s me I’ll probably find some more memes lmao

Personally, I'd love photos (and memes too!) but the content is good as it is! You've done far more work then I usually do, be proud :biggrin: Also, I do have a GYG if you want to look at it (it's a bit boring though :sleep: )
Reply 19
Original post by Michelle08
Personally, I'd love photos (and memes too!) but the content is good as it is! You've done far more work then I usually do, be proud :biggrin: Also, I do have a GYG if you want to look at it (it's a bit boring though :sleep: )

Cool, I’ll have put something together for tonight’s daily post then :h: Haha thanks, it’s been the first week I’ve actually done work outside of college properly, let’s hope it pays off for us all! :tong: Aaa awesome, I’ll head over and take a look, I’m sure it’s great :clap2:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending