The Student Room Group

Failed application

I have moved to Northern Ireland nearly a year ago. I am currently studying a access course in health. This week I have had my application for the Adult Nurseing Degree turned down , because I don’t qualify for 3 years permanent residency. I am from the uk and have lived here my hole life . Has this happened to anyone else and can anything be done ?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Amie2018
I have moved to Northern Ireland nearly a year ago. I am currently studying a access course in health. This week I have had my application for the Adult Nurseing Degree turned down , because I don’t qualify for 3 years permanent residency. I am from the uk and have lived here my hole life . Has this happened to anyone else and can anything be done ?

Have you emailed to ask if you can appeal and what evidence is missing?
Reply 2
I have and the administration department for university state I’m from GB . I have spoken to ucas and they have confirmed that I am still in the EU so they can’t really turn me down. I only want a interview the same as everyone els
I have and the administration department for university state I’m from GB . I have spoken to ucas and they have confirmed that I am still in the EU so they can’t really turn me down. I only want a interview the same as everyone els

So are you sure this is not about your application and is only about your residency?
Reply 4
My application hasn’t got thought to the part we’re they look at personal statements . They start looking at them next week. I am the only one in my class to here back so soon
Reply 5

Call them. Sounds like either they've made a mistake or there's an error on your application.

By the way, you aren't *from* the UK. Northern Ireland is still *in* the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I have so they sent me a email stating the fact . I’m waiting on a the department of health to see what they say as they provide the funding for the university. I really hope it gets sorted this week
Reply 7
I have so they sent me a email stating the fact . I’m waiting on a the department of health to see what they say as they provide the funding for the university. I really hope it gets sorted this week

What fact did they state? And if it was that you had to be UK resident for 3 years call them back and say you are. Do you have evidence of your residency in the UK (which could include NI) for at least 3 years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
They said it has to be Northern Ireland 3 year residents. I have wonderful teachers on my university access course who are trying all they can . Iv never herd of this before I started the access
Reply 9
I’ve always lived in the uk I have bills and bank and so on so plenty of evidence for the uk but only one year in Northern Ireland 😕
Reply 10
They said it has to be Northern Ireland 3 year residents. I have wonderful teachers on my university access course who are trying all they can . Iv never herd of this before I started the access

I’ve always lived in the uk I have bills and bank and so on so plenty of evidence for the uk but only one year in Northern Ireland 😕

Which university have you applied to?

PS. It's a good idea to quote the post you are replying to so the poster gets a notification when you reply :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately this is due to a decision by the department of health in NI. You can find more information here:
https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/funded-courses
Reply 12
Original post by Charlotte's Web
Unfortunately this is due to a decision by the department of health in NI. You can find more information here:
https://www.ulster.ac.uk/apply/fees-and-finance/undergraduate/funded-courses

Ah, so similar to the HE funding regime in Scotland: you have to be Scottish, or EU, but not English, Welsh/NI.

Thanks for finding that. :smile:

Would normal (SFE) funding not be available?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Ah, so similar to the HE funding regime in Scotland: you have to be Scottish, or EU, but not English, Welsh/NI.

Thanks for finding that. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. It's all very complicated and there isn't a lot of information online unfortunately.

Apart from nursing and allied health courses in Scotland which are currently still offering the bursary for English, Welsh and NI students (although how long for I wouldn't like to say).
Reply 14
It’s abit of a shame that they won’t take students from England Scotland and Wales. But thanks
Reply 15
No problem. It's all very complicated and there isn't a lot of information online unfortunately.

Apart from nursing and allied health courses in Scotland which are currently still offering the bursary for English, Welsh and NI students (although how long for I wouldn't like to say).

Did you see my edit, ie is there an option for funding a non-NI UK resident via SFE or whatever?
Did you see my edit, ie is there an option for funding a non-NI UK resident via SFE or whatever?

No I didn't sorry!

Unfortunately not. The tuition fees are paid for by the health service you are working in. The NHS therefore wouldn't pay tuition fees for NI as they have their own department of health.

SFE will unfortunately only assist nursing students with English residency studying in England, as they argue that the other countries have their own funding body for nursing and their own arrangements for bursaries etc. (even if you don't meet their residency criteria). It may be worth contacting them to check and see whether this has changed, although it may take them some time to work out an answer for you @Amie2018.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
No I didn't sorry!

Unfortunately not. The tuition fees are paid for by the health service you are working in. The NHS therefore wouldn't pay tuition fees for NI as they have their own department of health. SFE will unfortunately only assist students with English residency studying in England, as they argue that the other countries have their own funding body (even if you don't meet their residency criteria).

So OP would have to apply for Nursing in their home country (eg England). Will the year living in NI be a problem for that? Seems somewhat Kafkaesque...

I thought we needed more nurses... :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
So OP would have to apply for Nursing in their home country (eg England). Will the year living in NI be a problem for that? Seems somewhat Kafkaesque...

I thought we needed more nurses... :wink:

Potentially, as OP may not meet the residency requirements for studying in England, although now the bursary is gone, I believe it's treated the same as all other subjects so there may be funding there. It's honestly a ridiculous sort of situation and it's the poor students that miss out. I lived in England and went to Scotland to study so I've been through it myself. There is so little information and it's so hard to deal with these funding bodies (as none of them really know the answers either).

They do need more nurses, but apparently will only pay for the ones that suit them. Presumably too much risk that they will go back to their home country after stealing all their precious resources...
Reply 19
It’s abit of a shame that they won’t take students from England Scotland and Wales. But thanks

Indeed. But if you are English try contacting some English unis about their courses.

Quick Reply