DSA supplier won't provider equipment/software unless I buy laptop off them

Watch
bob8934
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I've been awarded a laptop and also certain hardware and software.

I don't want to buy their overpriced laptop because DSA only covers £100 of the cost anyway and you are allowed to buy the laptop from wherever you want and DSA will only pay the same £100 regardless of where I buy it from. An upgraded DSA laptop costs more than double the laptop with the same specs from a different supplier.

Now the DSA supplier is saying that unless I buy a laptop off them they won't provide the other hardware or software I was awarded - I don't understand this because as far as I know i'm not under any obligation to buy the laptop off them to begin with so why can they refuse to just provide me with the other hardware and software I was awarded?
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you were recommended for a laptop and agreed to it then that means the software the DSA adviser recommended is compatible for that laptop.
You should have your DSA adviser's email or number (mine used to contact me quite frequently to make sure I was getting my equipment etc). So send them an email and tell them you're happy to use your own laptop (I'm assuming you already have your own laptop) and don't have the means to purchase the upgrade that they're offering. They might send you back for another assessment, because it means they'll have to recommend new software that is compatible with your current laptop.

It's not really the supplier's fault as they've just been advised to give you the software and equipment on the list. Contact your DSA adviser and explain that you don't want to purchase an upgrade but would still like access to that software. Also send them details of your current laptop (model, processor etc).
Rooticles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, it says on my letter from DSA that we can buy our own laptops but you need to email them for details. Also, you can change suppliers if you're not happy with them, just as long as you, personally, haven't already authorised them to supply your equipment to you.
Lovesick
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you email SFE as it advises in the letter? You need their say so before you can purchase elsewhere. Once they agree, you will get a new agreed quote for the rest of your recommended items and the supplier can then go ahead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.73%

Watched Threads