What happens to tap water once it has been used?

Watch
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does it get cleaned and reused or just wasted?
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I remember doing this for GCSEs.

There's lots of tanks to let all the solids settle. Then theres tons of filtration then chlorine and that's it.

I never really understood how the soluble impurities are removed though.

Let's say you flush the toilet - there's loads of wee in there. That won't be filtered out (I presume) and even if you add chlorine - it's still wee. It's just got a bit of bleach in it.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One crazy thing is that I read stupid hipsters in Seattle etc are paying big money to drink "raw" water - i.e. untreated water. Morons.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)

There's lots of tanks to let all the solids settle. Then theres tons of filtration then chlorine and that's it.

Let's say you flush the toilet - there's loads of wee in there. That won't be filtered out (I presume) and even if you add chlorine - it's still wee. It's just got a bit of bleach in it.
Probably to do with dispersal and sterility. First, most piss is sterile anyway. Second, the amount of piss per se leaving a treatment plant to go back to environment is small. The blackwater treated from sewage isn't pumped straight back into water tanks, it's pumped to rivers etc, so the dispersal rate of that relatively small amount of piss is big. The real nasties are killed or removed in the treatment process (not just chlorine, also aeration etc).
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The usual thing in the UK is for it to be piped to a wastewater treatment plant along with the rest of the sewage

most of the clever stuff at the wastewater treatment plant is done by naturally occurring aerobic bacteria... which the plant is designed to encourage.
BagofDoritos
Badges: 2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)

So like we shower with water that contains wee? What's the point of showering then? :hmmm:
username1292215
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The water you drink has gone through someone else 7 times
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BagofDoritos)
So like we shower with water that contains wee? What's the point of showering then? :hmmm:
The water pumped back to environment from a sewage plant goes through the entire natural water cycle again. Natural water is then collected and treated again before it gets to you at home. There will be very little piss - if any at all - in your shower water.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
The water you drink has gone through someone else 7 times
more than that surely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (672)
33.65%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (849)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.28%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed