Turn on thread page Beta

What happens to tap water once it has been used? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does it get cleaned and reused or just wasted?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s817)
    Does it get cleaned and reused or just wasted?
    It'll be cleaned and reused.

Our toilet water goes into the same place as our tap water and the "waste" is just filtered out and the water is sterilized and stuff. (At least, that's what I've been told happens.) no point wasting water.

ReputationRep:
    I remember doing this for GCSEs.

There's lots of tanks to let all the solids settle. Then theres tons of filtration then chlorine and that's it.

I never really understood how the soluble impurities are removed though.

Let's say you flush the toilet - there's loads of wee in there. That won't be filtered out (I presume) and even if you add chlorine - it's still wee. It's just got a bit of bleach in it.

ReputationRep:
    One crazy thing is that I read stupid hipsters in Seattle etc are paying big money to drink "raw" water - i.e. untreated water. Morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)

There's lots of tanks to let all the solids settle. Then theres tons of filtration then chlorine and that's it.

Let's say you flush the toilet - there's loads of wee in there. That won't be filtered out (I presume) and even if you add chlorine - it's still wee. It's just got a bit of bleach in it.
    Probably to do with dispersal and sterility. First, most piss is sterile anyway. Second, the amount of piss per se leaving a treatment plant to go back to environment is small. The blackwater treated from sewage isn't pumped straight back into water tanks, it's pumped to rivers etc, so the dispersal rate of that relatively small amount of piss is big. The real nasties are killed or removed in the treatment process (not just chlorine, also aeration etc).

ReputationRep:
    The usual thing in the UK is for it to be piped to a wastewater treatment plant along with the rest of the sewage

most of the clever stuff at the wastewater treatment plant is done by naturally occurring aerobic bacteria... which the plant is designed to encourage.

(Original post by Trinculo)

So like we shower with water that contains wee? What's the point of showering then? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    The water you drink has gone through someone else 7 times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BagofDoritos)
    So like we shower with water that contains wee? What's the point of showering then? :hmmm:
    The water pumped back to environment from a sewage plant goes through the entire natural water cycle again. Natural water is then collected and treated again before it gets to you at home. There will be very little piss - if any at all - in your shower water.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    The water you drink has gone through someone else 7 times
    more than that surely.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.