MFDickson
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by MFDickson)
Hi John,

I really appreciate that someone is there to help and to listen to unprivileged. I will be waiting to hear from you tomorrow.

Kind regards

MFDickson
I hope I’m not forgotten.
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your telephone conversation and for the options you have given me. Unfortunately, Social Work courses start in September, none in January.

Thank you for your conclusion to loan me the Tuition fee for but not Maintenance Loan. Social Work Course is a full time course, where I’m not eligible to work to fund my maintenance, moreover, it involves Placement from year 2 to final year. Therefore, I definitely need this maintenance loan to boost my performance in my academics.

Pls find the below Eligibility Criteria for Full-time Maintenance Loan:

Eligibility
Whether a student can get student finance depends on their:
university or college
course
previous study
University or college
The university or college must be in the UK and either:
publicly funded (paid for by the government), or
privately-funded but running individual courses that get public funding.
Course
This must be in the UK and one of the following:
first degree, eg BA, BSc or BEd
Foundation Degree
Certificate of Higher Education
Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE)
Higher National Certificate (HNC)
Higher National Diploma (HND)
Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
Integrated Master’s
Previous study
Students can usually only get student finance for their first undergraduate higher-education qualification - even if their previous course was self-funded.
The number of years for which they are eligible for funding is calculated as: Length of current course + one year – years of previous study

If they haven’t got enough years of funding left to cover their course, they’ll have to cover some of the cost themselves. They’ll usually still be able to get some Maintenance Loan in any self-funded years of study. However, they may still get some funding if, for example:
they change course
they leave a course but start another
they’re ‘topping up’ a higher-education qualification, for example they have finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree
Full financial support is available if the student already has a degree but they’re starting:
an Initial Teacher Training course, not exceeding two years and they don’t hold qualified teacher status, or
a Nursing, Midwifery or Allied Health Professional course (excluding dental hygiene and dental therapy) in England on or after 1 August 2017.
There’s no upper age limit for applying for a loan to help with living costs. But if the student is aged 60 or over on the first day of the first academic year of their course the amount they can get depends on their household income only.
For courses starting before 1 August 2016
Students aged 60 or over are not able to get a loan for their living costs.
Nationality or residency status
Students can apply if:
they’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (that means there’s no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK)
they normally live in England
they’ve been living in the UK for at least 3 years before the first day of the first academic year of their course
The first day of the first academic year of their course is:
1 September, if their course starts between 1 August and 31 December
1 January, if their course starts between 1 January and 31 March
1 April, if their course starts between 1 April and 30 June
1 July, if their course starts between 1 July and 31 July
Students may also be eligible if they are one of the following:
an EU national, or a relative of one
a refugee, or a relative of one
under humanitarian protection, or a relative of someone under humanitarian protection
under 18 and have lived in the UK for at least 7 years
18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half their life)
an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
a child of a Swiss national
a child of a Turkish worker

Source: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/p...n/eligibility/

Pls I will implore implore your to look at this Criteria more closely.

Regards,

MFDickson
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Please deeply look into last paragraph of the Eligibility Criteria:

under humanitarian protection, or a relative of someone under humanitarian protection
18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years (or at least half their life)

Regards,

MFDickson
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please deeply look into last paragraph of the Eligibility Criteria:

Regards,

MFDickson

Hi MFDickson,

I'm sorry to hear there is no January intake for the Social Work course.

When it states:
'Students may also be eligible if they are one of the following'
The eligibility criteria:

The 'may' is important here.

- An EU national

This is referring to if you're an EU national with 5 years residency in UK, you will be eligible for the maintenance loan.

'or a relative of one'

This is where I can understand your interpretation of the regulations.
This may make it look like you can apply for the maintenance loan as the family member of an EU national as a separate option from Migrant Worker. However, this is why the original line says 'may', it means you may be eligible as the relative of an EU national, then later mentions Migrant Worker funding.

I can completely appreciate why this looks like 2 separate options so I get where you're coming from.

However, The regulations are that the maintenance loan is only available in this situation if the EU national is a Migrant Worker.

Here on The Student Room, we can only give you the facts, no matter how they are interpreted, however my best advice would be to appeal which you have already done.

The next step is to await the response from the appeals team. You can refer to all the policies we've discussed here, as I say, on The Student Room, we can only give advice on the rules and regulations but we can't appeal decisions.

Best wishes,

John.
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi John,

Thank you for coming back swiftly. I have gathered advice from different legal practitioners about the interpretation of these words.

For Student Finance combining EEA with EU, it’s completely wrong.

For your information, there some countries that are in EEA and they are not EU. Some countries are part of SINGLE MARKET but NOT EU.

As a family member of EU, and according to the criteria set out by STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND, I am an ELIGIBLE student for both Student Finance Tuition Loan and Maintenance Loan.

I will awaiting the appeal decision before making further step.
MFDickson
Rep:
?
EEA means EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA, while
EU means EUROPEAN UNION. These Union are both an economic and political union of. 28 countries.
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi John,

Thank you for coming back swiftly. I have gathered advice from different legal practitioners about the interpretation of these words.

For Student Finance combining EEA with EU, it’s completely wrong.

For your information, there some countries that are in EEA and they are not EU. Some countries are part of SINGLE MARKET but NOT EU.

As a family member of EU, and according to the criteria set out by STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND, I am an ELIGIBLE student for both Student Finance Tuition Loan and Maintenance Loan.

I will awaiting the appeal decision before making further step.
Hi John,

Pls I’m still waiting for your response
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi John,

After rigorous consideration and I have already finished 1st Semester, I have decided to go back to Uni for Student Finance to grant loan for my tuition only.

Pls kindly contact me to let me know how I can go about the application as you have advised on our telephone conversation.

Looking forward to your response. I will be returning to Uni tomorrow Monday, 5th February 2018.

Thank you for all your help.

Modupe
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi John,

After rigorous consideration and I have already finished 1st Semester, I have decided to go back to Uni for Student Finance to grant loan for my tuition only.

Pls kindly contact me to let me know how I can go about the application as you have advised on our telephone conversation.

Looking forward to your response. I will be returning to Uni tomorrow Monday, 5th February 2018.

Modupe
Hi John
MFDickson
Rep:
?
Hi John,

Please kindly let me know I need to submit fresh application because I applied originally as a member of EU National. Pls kindly get back to me.
Gerard SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

John is back with us on Wednesday, I have asked him to respond to you as soon as he returns.

Thank you.
John B SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi John,

Modupe
Hi Modupe,

I hope you are well. I have been out of the office since Thursday so my apologies for the later reply.

To apply for the Tuition Fee Loan, you should complete an EU17N form. You'll see the address to send this to on page 2.

Warm regards,

John.
Ermiasermias
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi John can you help me out please I have lived in the UK since 06/2006 and I have my indefinite leave to remain in UK in October 2011 I started my course July 20118 but SF they refused my application without no reason what can I do anyone can give me some information please I am really confused thanks
Gerard SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ermiasermias)
Hi John can you help me out please I have lived in the UK since 06/2006 and I have my indefinite leave to remain in UK in October 2011 I started my course July 20118 but SF they refused my application without no reason what can I do anyone can give me some information please I am really confused thanks
Hi,

If you give our office a call on 0300 100 0607 one of our advisers will be able to discuss your account with you.

Thanks
Gerard
Olakamz10
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello I applied has eu migrant worker under my dad .. but I was refused because I’m over 21 and I’m not financially depending on my dad. Which I am my dad pays bills all of bills I’m the hOuse. I have a job only because I took a gap year and didn’t want to sit home all day. I told them this and I was still refused because there’s no evidence that my dad gives me money ..so I recently made a standing order from my dad’s account to mine sending me 100/50 every week I done this for five weeks and send in an appeal .. will this change anything ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (209)
26.86%
Not great so far... (280)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise